Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to hire an arch tech?

Options
  • 01-09-2020 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31,014 ✭✭✭✭

I think I need an arch tech.

I spending about 100k on a kitchen/dining room refurb and new timber windows and doors throughout the house, and I don't have complete confidence that the joinery company (who I have chosen) or the builder (who I haven't) will get the detailing right around air tightness, thresholds, ventilation and so on.

I imagine the arch tech will be able to help specify and supervise the works to ensure they're not ballsed up.

So what's the best way of finding one in my area (north east Wicklow)?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Have works started?
    Who picked the builder?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,073 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Do you not need an engineer more than an architect for this?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,061 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

GreeBo wrote: »
    Do you not need an engineer more than an architect for this?

the OP looking for an architectural technician.... whos main job description is building science and thus the right profession for this brief... no mention of any structural element required.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,073 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

sydthebeat wrote: »
    the OP looking for an architectural technician.... whos main job description is building science and thus the right profession for this brief... no mention of any structural element required.

Ah, I thought arch tech was an auto correct for architect :)

An architectural technician is exactly the right person so!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,014 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The works have not started.

I'll attempt to clarify. For the windows and doors the works are, I think:

- Remove existing windows and doors (about 18 openings).
    - For one window, take out a row or two of blocks to lower the bottom of the opening, leaving the width the same.
    (- For one other opening, put in steel and enlarge opening from 2.3 to 3m) <-- optional, not decided yet
    - Replace sills.
    - Replace window boards.
    - Fit new windows and doors.
    - Make sure it's all properly air tight.
    - Tidy up, e.g. fix external render and internal plastering.

...and then there's a follow on job next spring to do the kitchen/diner refurb.

These works obviously require coordination with different trades, e.g. windows need to come out, then new sills fitted and cavities closed (?), then new windows in, then air tightness done, then window boards fitted. As I type this I feel like I'm really looking for a project manager, but this isn't a complicated job, is it?

Anyway, the window company will be able to supply in approx 8 weeks, or supply+fit in approx. 10 weeks once the order is in, so we're looking at December or January (brrr). The duration of the works is 1-2 weeks. We will move out if necessary.

I have not tried to find a builder yet.

The purpose of the arch tech in my mind is to make sure that the detailing is right, particularly things like closing the cavities and applying air tightness products. I could probably figure this out myself given enough time, but I have no credibility or training and it seems like too much money to skimp on paying someone.

How do arch techs get paid by normal punters like me? Like, would I pay an hourly rate for office time and site visits, or what? How do I find one? Is there a directory of them?

• Advertisement
Advertisement