Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-08-2019, 10:44   #181
KildareFan

I've seen numerous examples where the child's first name was not recorded - including my grandfather's. This usually occurs when someone other than the parent registers the birth; the maternity hospitals used to register batches of unnamed infants at a time. Sometimes when the birth cert is needed the individual will ask for the cuvil record to be amended with the correct name, using the baptismal cert as proof.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
10-08-2019, 17:35   #182
shar01

Entries nos 280 & 283 - father's location "somewhere in France".

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy....13/1542992.pdf

Three of the birth records have fathers serving. Blackrock must've been rocking 8/9 months earlier.
Thanks from:
02-11-2019, 20:45   #183
mod9maple

I found an intriguing occupation in a marriage record recently from about 1880-ish and thought I'd share. I knew the man was a butcher from other records but on his marriage cert he was noted as being a '_awman'. I couldn't for the life of me figure out the first capital letter. Then looking at other words on the page I realised it was an 'S'. So 'Sawman'. Chuckling I looked it up and indeed it's an archaic word for a meat cutter.

The things you learn.
(4) thanks from:
02-11-2019, 22:57   #184
Jellybaby1

I would have thought a Sawman was a Sawyer! Never would have thought of a butcher.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion