Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ban from Soccer

Options
  • 09-05-2021 4:40pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I received a ban from the Soccer Forum which I believe is unwarranted. I received no warning, but that’s not really the point. The accusation seems to be derailing the thread with controversial views. I wasn’t…I just wanted to have a chat with other fans about some of the big issues. Some of the allegations are ridiculous…I called the Europa League a “losers’ competition”…I’m a United fan! Sir Alex himself gave out about the Europa League and said it was a “penalty/nightmare”. This was heavy-handed moderation. If that’s how my posting was being construed (wrongly), a simple “you should tone that down” would have sufficed. I would prefer Liverpool not to make CL rather than United to win the EL. My pals are all the same too. Bury your enemy rather than winning some less consequential.

Thanks.

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,439 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Have you PMed the mod in question to discuss this?

Please post those PMs here.

To be clear, you got banned because this is your second yellow card in the soccer forum and under the soccer totting up process, as per the charter, you picked up a ban. You are appealing the yellow card, not the ban.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

awec wrote: »
    Have you PMed the mod in question to discuss this?

Please post those PMs here.

To be clear, you got banned because this is your second yellow card in the soccer forum and under the soccer totting up process, as per the charter, you picked up a ban. You are appealing the yellow card, not the ban.

Yes, that is correct. Althought I don’t recall the first Yellow.

I have PM’d the Mod.

I’ve posted the PM’s below…

“Across two messages you have suggested a ban was manufactured and now I am seeking to conveniently find a reason to warn your posts. Attempting to position the warning as something not related to how you choose to post is not going to aid your request to have the post viewed in another way.

Your warning remains as in my view you are purposely posting contencious views in the thread. I have already provided the Europa league positon change as an example.

Your Liverpool posts are regular and not once off, if you put your view forward, explained it and moved on it might be more like how you have said. Instead you keep making posts seeking a reaction.

The mob comment was in response to one of the posters who did bite on your disruptive posts. In the same post you managed to suggest others were not as capable of thinking in a logical or rational way as you are. That is not welcome in the forum.”

“Thanks for the message.

The ban is in line with totting up rules of the forum, it is your second warning.

You were provided with a reason for the warning, deliberate contrary views to disrupt a thread are not welcome.

You were not warned for having an opinion, you received a warning for clearly offering an opinion to disrupt the thread.

It is not long since you were talking about how United had a massive week ahead as they had Europe league semi and coming up. Now today it is a case that the players should be ready to go on their holiday once the play Liverpool as the Europa League competition is for losers. It is clear you are seeking to disrupt the thread.

Quote: Louis Friend
    Massive week.

We can put one foot into a European final and bury our biggest rival’s Champions League hopes.

As you have asked for further consideration, upon review I can this contrary offering of a viewpoint is a regular feature of your posting on the thread.

Your posting on the thread also includes regular efforts to make the thread about Liverpool's season which actually backs up my original point included in your warning.

Your mob comment offerred today was also baiting.

So the warning stands.“

“That’s a farce. Classic Boards.ie stuff. Someone had a different (but legitimate) opinion to other posters and a ban is manufactured. I’d like you to reconsider it on the grounds that it is without foundation. Alex Ferguson himself called the Europa League a “punishment” and a “consolation”. My pals and I, all United and Liverpool fans, have been laughing about how all of the United fans among us would prefer to see Liverpool miss out than Liverpool to make CL. There is no grounds for a ban there.”

• Advertisement

“I don’t accept any of what you’re saying there. It’s a common discussion to have re stopping Liverpool make CL.

And conveniently, you’ve chosen to think “the mob” referred to other posters rather than a general mob.

Derailing the thread? Yeah right. Just ‘cause it happens to be something you don’t want to talk about.”

• Administrators Posts: 53,439 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

There was another PM where you said:
    With respect, you are just editorialising this to suit your own agenda.

I don’t post to try and derail a thread. I just want to chat with other United fans. You may think it’s winding people up to ask how badly United fans might want to hobble their biggest rivals.

I’m a United fan and my team are in the final of the Europa League. My team won the competition in recent memory. I’m within my rights to criticise the competition. If it was a fan of another club, your argument would have merit.

I don’t.

A two week ban is ridiculous.

The Soccer Forum seems to be a group of mods and their pals in an echo chamber setting traps for any poster with views that differ from their own.

This is a disgrace

Having read your contributions to the Man Utd thread I agree with the mod in his assessment that you were trolling and seeking a reaction.

I am also not particularly enamoured with your approach to discussing the issue with the mod.

Yellow upheld, so the ban stands.

No surprise there.

“not enamoured with”…Listen to yourself.

There is nothing untoward there in my exchange with the Mod, other than the usual stitch-up by Mods in tandem with their buddies.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,593 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OP, read the Soccer forum charter

Yellow card entirely appropriate

Resultant ban upheld

Resolved

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement