Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Raised beds for vegetable gardening

• 29-06-2010 10:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭

Hi all, not sure if Im the right forum here, but anyways...
    Im just wondering where I can get some raised beds for vegetable gardening, delivered and installed for an elderly relative in the Dublin area.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I'll leave this thread for now, but I think you might have more luck in the Gardening forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

www.ecoplastic.net are a Co.Down based manufacturer/installer of plastic garden items including edging for raised beds. Not cheap but better in terms of maintenance in the long term. Don't be tempted to use old railway sleepers which leach all sorts of chemicals into the soil. :)

Ecoplastic,
    86 Annacloy Road,
    Downpatrick,
    Co.Down BT30 9AJ,

Tel: (048) 44 831831

Ask for Nick.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Here are a handy list of links:

http://www.getgrowing.ie/resources

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

www.ecoplastic.net are a Co.Down based manufacturer/installer of plastic garden items including edging for raised beds. Not cheap but better in terms of maintenance in the long term. Don't be tempted to use old railway sleepers which leach all sorts of chemicals into the soil. :)

Ecoplastic,
    86 Annacloy Road,
    Downpatrick,
    Co.Down BT30 9AJ,

Ask for Nick.

would be wary of using plastic... they leach chemicals as well
    plain old wood is best, big heavey cuts of it makes perfect beds

robtri wrote: »
    would be wary of using plastic... they leach chemicals as well
    plain old wood is best, big heavey cuts of it makes perfect beds

You're probably right about wood and when it finally expires you can use it on the fire. I used what was available (timber from packing cases) and it lasted about five years then gave up everywhere at the same time! That's why I'm considering the plastic option and I would be surprised if there was leaching from the plastic - I mean perhaps over 1,000 years a minute amount? I just don't know - do you have any link to back up your claim - just to help make up my mind? :)

• Advertisement

You're probably right about wood and when it finally expires you can use it on the fire. I used what was available (timber from packing cases) and it lasted about five years then gave up everywhere at the same time! That's why I'm considering the plastic option and I would be surprised if there was leaching from the plastic - I mean perhaps over 1,000 years a minute amount? I just don't know - do you have any link to back up your claim - just to help make up my mind? :)

dont have anything to link to here, I just remember reading an article about it and that even for example water carried in plastic botles absorbs some chemicals......

defo worth checing out if you are concerned..

wood is good just make it chunky and it will work fine

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

whats the story on CCA treated timber in Ireland????

Whatever about plastics leaching anything treated with arsenic is deffo bad for yer health.

we use ACQ treated sleepers here, seems to be OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

plenty of sleepers soon to be available from Waterford :D

whats the story on CCA treated timber in Ireland????

Whatever about plastics leaching anything treated with arsenic is deffo bad for yer health.

we use ACQ treated sleepers here, seems to be OK.

if it sleepers, then better off using untreated oak sleepers... then no worries at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

I built about 40 raised beds. I buy 2 inch by 6 inch planks, lenght about 3.6 metres. 6 planks per bed. That will give you a 12 inch deep bed, 3.6 metres long by 1.8m wide. It takes about an hour to build.

• Advertisement

I built about 40 raised beds. I buy 2 inch by 6 inch planks, lenght about 3.6 metres. 6 planks per bed. That will give you a 12 inch deep bed, 3.6 metres long by 1.8m wide. It takes about an hour to build.

Pics? How long do your beds last before they need renewing? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭homer911

Ecoplastic,
    86 Annacloy Road,
    Downpatrick,
    Co.Down BT30 9AJ,

Ask for Nick.

Should anyone be suggesting the use of plastic on a "Sustainability & Environmental Issues" forum? :confused:

homer911 wrote: »
    Should anyone be suggesting the use of plastic on a "Sustainability & Environmental Issues" forum? :confused:

Did you look at the website? They use 100% recycled plastic in their products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Pics? How long do your beds last before they need renewing? :)

I dont have any pics handy. You can see the first one I built here http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=53.344678,-6.281353&spn=0.000371,0.001316&t=h&z=20

The rectangular one. Did away with all the triangular ones after and built them all like that one.

They have been there about 2 years now and are still fine.

Advertisement