Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sustainability Index for Buildings in Ireland

• 07-07-2010 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hello

Does anyone know if there is a sustainability index or rating system in use for buildings in Ireland? It would be something similar to the BER but would take a more comprehensive approach accounting not only for energy efficiency but also for water management, ecological impact, local transport infrastructure, etc. International examples include Breeam in the UK, the Leed system in the States and BASIX in Australia

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Hi Filthy Animal (nice name :) )

The only rating system specified by the government is the BER. Some individuals have decided to have their houses built and certified by independent accrediting organisations, such as the Passiv Haus Institut but they tend to be one-offs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭rayh

Hello

Does anyone know if there is a sustainability index or rating system in use for buildings in Ireland? It would be something similar to the BER but would take a more comprehensive approach accounting not only for energy efficiency but also for water management, ecological impact, local transport infrastructure, etc. International examples include Breeam in the UK, the Leed system in the States and BASIX in Australia

BRE have 2 offices in Ireland and a number of accredited assessors both in the Republic and Northern Ireland. BRE must have some figures from projects on this island and I would have an interest in this information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Filthy animal

Thanks for the responses.

I'm doing a thesis on sustainability which involves carrying out a sustainability assessment on a hypothetical residential building in Dublin. I suppose I'll just use the BRE eco homes / codes for sustainable homes rating system that is used in the UK.

As an aside, it looks like to me that a sustainability rating system is required in this country as the BER is not comprehensive enough. Of course if one were to be established it would in theory supersede the BER, making it redundant!!!!! Wahoo! Loads a fun :D (plus loads more money for the quangos and course providers that have cashed in on the BER already)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

I'd agree that BER is not comprehensive as it only measures the energy performance of the building. There's LEED, which is popular in the US and my favourite -the Living Building Challenge:

http://ilbi.org/

Jeff Colley of Construct Ireland might be someone to talk to about your project. I'm sure he or one of his colleagues would be happy to help.

Advertisement