Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-09-2019, 16:54   #1
mr_fegelien

Biggest scandal in your workplace (Mod Note in OP)

What was the biggest scandal ever in your workplace?

Don't have any but during my moms teaching days, almost all the foreign white teachers teaching Maths and English in Tanzania had fake degrees, the college just assumed cause they spoke English and where white they were qualified. Many students failed until they were asked to leave.

Mod - By all means share your anecdotes and stories.

DO NOT name and shame the companies or places involved.

We don't want any libel or slander issues.

Last edited by Ted_YNWA; 15-09-2019 at 19:12. Reason: Mod note
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
15-09-2019, 17:01   #2
looksee
In fairness that's probably a bit of an overstatement. Fifty years ago British and Irish teaching in East Africa went through the UK Foreign Affairs (or whatever it was called then). It required proper qualifications and a formal interview. I was there living in a teachers' hostel and subsequently in a secondary school and there was no issue whatsoever with qualifications. If it was less than maybe 30 ago things might have changed, or there might have been some sort of 'private school' scam going on, but in general in the 70s and 80s it was all above board.
(4) thanks from:
15-09-2019, 17:11   #4
piplip87

Girl I worked with was been plaughed on Facebook on Instagram twitter by multiple accouns, she blocked all accounts sending her wanking videos. Was getting calls at night with a fella wanking down the phone. Gardai where called and it was traced back to the fella she sat beside in work.

Another guy got hammered at the Christmas party. Went on a grouping, using slurs against African and gay co-workers. Didn't work out so bad for him. Was suspended with pay for 3 months while the investigation took place.
15-09-2019, 17:14   #5
brianblaze

An entire branch of an outlet in a company I worked for were fired for using customer details for fraud. Both personal ID copies and credit card information.

The company messed up the disciplinary process and had to give them their jobs back after a week.

Whoops
Advertisement
15-09-2019, 17:40   #7
suicide_circus

oh so many.

someone defrauded the company out of tens of thousands in OT he didnt work. He was not sacked. Why? because that would have highlighted the incompetence and total lack of oversight by his bosses.
15-09-2019, 17:43   #8
steves2

I work in the public sector, I can definitely attest that many mistakes go unpunished due to the managers not wanting to highlight that it happened on their watch.
15-09-2019, 17:44   #9
suicide_circus

Quote:
Originally Posted by steves2 View Post
I work in the public sector, I can definitely attest that many mistakes go unpunished due to the managers not wanting to highlight that it happened on their watch.
its rampant in the semi states too
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
15-09-2019, 17:46   #10
md23040

A female worker gave the boss a blow job in the toilets of the office during a party at work. The boss told the financial controller and an external CEO in a sister organization. It got out in the rumor mill and the next day the worker put in a complaint to HR. The day after an inquest by the financial controller and CEO was held with all workers in the department questioned as to who started these false and malicious allegations. It was like something out of David Brent and the office.
15-09-2019, 17:46   #11
Poor_old_gill

Quote:
Originally Posted by steves2 View Post
One that I have been hit with when coming up with a new idea that could have saved us a decent chunk of cash over a number of years was - “if we do this now then they’ll question why we weren’t doing it all along” - idea was never implemented.

Biggest scandal is just a load of in-office affairs- I was totally oblivious to it goin in for a long time until someone pointed them out to me and now they seem to be going on literally everywhere
15-09-2019, 17:47   #12
JohnnyFlash

Worked in a pub in London in the 80’s while in college over there. Place was raided one day by the police and they found a load of guns underneath the floorboards in a room upstairs. Turns out the owner was a big ‘RA man.
15-09-2019, 18:40   #13
corner of hells

Not really a scandal but a bloke I worked with was shot dead by Gardai during a bank robbery.
(2) thanks from:
15-09-2019, 18:51   #14
Mad_maxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by corner of hells View Post
Not really a scandal but a bloke I worked with was shot dead by Gardai during a bank robbery.
Are you Steve Buscemi - Mr pink?
15-09-2019, 19:05   #15
corner of hells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_maxx View Post
Are you Steve Buscemi - Mr pink?
Clowns to the left of me,
Jokers to the right, here I am,
Stuck in the middle with you.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic