Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting for First time

Options
  • 16-04-2019 8:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm about to rent for the first time in the south and just looking for some advice on what I need to prepare.

I'm moving into a property on the 3rd May in Portobello, Dublin. I've just returned home to Ireland (first time in the south) from England.

They are asking us to use something called TransferGecko to swap utilities, is this normal? Seems very handy. They want us to use it for broadband/TV as well. What's the best way to sort waste removal (a brand new phenomenon to me).

Are there any assurances I would need to get before moving in? I guess they'll provide me with an inventory? Do I need to ask about rent increases?

Any advice is most welcome :)

Cheers,

Fitz

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I've never come across Transfer Gecko before in my life- but apparently they pay a commission to letting agents or estate agents to encourage them to push their company as a portal for all services on tenants, landlords and new property owners. They suggest they don't charge a fee to tenants or landlords- but obviously, they're not operating out of the goodness of their hearts- they must be making a markup somewhere- most likely by charging you a premium for the services you buy through them.

I'm not entirely getting what you mean by 'South'- its Dublin you have in mind? (normally we'd imagine anyone who says they're moving south to mean Cork or its environs).

Portobello is a lovely area- on the canal, lots of services/facilities and amenities on your doorstep. Its a very young area- with lots of students either living there or aspiring to live there (aspiring- because there quite simply is a massive shortage of accommodation in the area).

The letting agent is getting a commission for pushing this 'Transfer Gecko' lark on you- they're not doing it out of the goodness of their hearts. It might suit you to use it initially- as you've never lived away from home before- but it would be almost impossible not to get better offers from going to the various utility companies separately and taking out contracts with them (which is your prerogative- you have no obligation to go with any particular supplier).

The limited information on the transfer gecko website- does very little to endear them to me- in fact they seem a bit desperate to me. Its entirely up to you- but other than for the convenience factor if you've never lived away from home before- I can't see any long term merit in using their services.

Re: moving in- you are entitled to a lease, which will have inventory of the contents of the property. I'd strongly encourage you to do a video walk through of the property- and also to note and report anything amiss immediately once you chance upon it.

Portobello is in a rent-controlled zone (or RPZ as we call it) which means your rent increase is limited to 4% per annum- and must be supported by reference to other properties in the vicinity (aka it can only follow prevailing rent levels).

Once you have been in the property for 6 months- you acquire what is known as Part IV tenancy rights under the Residential Tenancies Act- whereby the landlord cannot evict you other than for specific reasons for a 6 year period (initial 6 months + additional 5 1/2 years).

Contrary to much of what you may read (both here and elsewhere)- Irish tenancy law is some of the strongest tenancy law in Europe- and the Residential Tenancies Board- who police the law- are extremely unforgiving towards any breaches of tenancy law (you have to use the RTB if something goes wrong- you can't just lob a small claims case at a landlord or a tenant to get something sorted).

Have fun- enjoy Portobello, best of good luck with your move.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Dangee4050

I think the op meant to say first time moving to the free state :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,913 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Dangee4050 wrote:
    I think the op meant to say first time moving to the free state

Ain't nothing free in it now! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭The_Fitz

I've never come across Transfer Gecko before in my life- but apparently they pay a commission to letting agents or estate agents to encourage them to push their company as a portal for all services on tenants, landlords and new property owners. They suggest they don't charge a fee to tenants or landlords- but obviously, they're not operating out of the goodness of their hearts- they must be making a markup somewhere- most likely by charging you a premium for the services you buy through them.

I'm not entirely getting what you mean by 'South'- its Dublin you have in mind? (normally we'd imagine anyone who says they're moving south to mean Cork or its environs).

Portobello is a lovely area- on the canal, lots of services/facilities and amenities on your doorstep. Its a very young area- with lots of students either living there or aspiring to live there (aspiring- because there quite simply is a massive shortage of accommodation in the area).

The letting agent is getting a commission for pushing this 'Transfer Gecko' lark on you- they're not doing it out of the goodness of their hearts. It might suit you to use it initially- as you've never lived away from home before- but it would be almost impossible not to get better offers from going to the various utility companies separately and taking out contracts with them (which is your prerogative- you have no obligation to go with any particular supplier).

The limited information on the transfer gecko website- does very little to endear them to me- in fact they seem a bit desperate to me. Its entirely up to you- but other than for the convenience factor if you've never lived away from home before- I can't see any long term merit in using their services.

Re: moving in- you are entitled to a lease, which will have inventory of the contents of the property. I'd strongly encourage you to do a video walk through of the property- and also to note and report anything amiss immediately once you chance upon it.

Portobello is in a rent-controlled zone (or RPZ as we call it) which means your rent increase is limited to 4% per annum- and must be supported by reference to other properties in the vicinity (aka it can only follow prevailing rent levels).

Once you have been in the property for 6 months- you acquire what is known as Part IV tenancy rights under the Residential Tenancies Act- whereby the landlord cannot evict you other than for specific reasons for a 6 year period (initial 6 months + additional 5 1/2 years).

Contrary to much of what you may read (both here and elsewhere)- Irish tenancy law is some of the strongest tenancy law in Europe- and the Residential Tenancies Board- who police the law- are extremely unforgiving towards any breaches of tenancy law (you have to use the RTB if something goes wrong- you can't just lob a small claims case at a landlord or a tenant to get something sorted).

Have fun- enjoy Portobello, best of good luck with your move.

Some great info here, cheers!

By South I mean the south of Ireland, I'm from the North. Haven't lived at home for 12 years, rented in England for that time and you sorted everything out yourself. You're right about this gecko crowd, I'll do it myself as normal. I can't see it benefiting me at all.

Portobello seems a great area, and after spending years on tubes and trains I'm now a 25 minute dander to work!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

The_Fitz wrote: »
    By South I mean the south of Ireland, I'm from the North.

A hint to help you get along with your new neighbours, don't call it the south! :D

For waste collection, it depends exactly where in Portobello you are. I know both Thorntons and Greyhound collect from that area (maybe others too), you can just type in your address on their websites and see if they service the area. Then select an appropriate package depending on how much waste you think you'll have!

http://thorntons-recycling.ie/domestic/domestic-services/
    https://greyhound.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

nibtrix wrote: »
    A hint to help you get along with your new neighbours, don't call it the south! :D

For waste collection, it depends exactly where in Portobello you are. I know both Thorntons and Greyhound collect from that area (maybe others too), you can just type in your address on their websites and see if they service the area. Then select an appropriate package depending on how much waste you think you'll have!

http://thorntons-recycling.ie/domestic/domestic-services/
    https://greyhound.ie/

Why not? Southerners call the north "the north"!

Re: bins, it might be worth checking with your new neighbours first. I used to live in the area and we didn't have bins (no front gardens and pavements were too narrow to put wheelie bins on) - we just had bags which we put out on the street weekly. Hence they had to be with a specific company as not all companies did that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

Why not? Southerners call the north "the north"!

The clues in the name "Northern" Ireland. There is no such place as Southern Ireland.

I'll just call it the 26 counties then :D

Cheers for the advice folks. Renting here is very difficult, totally different market to London.

Delighted to have somewhere, even if it's costing a fortune. Been living in her teenage bedroom (parents house) for a few months (I know I have it extremely easy compared to a lot of other people).

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

Cheers for the advice folks. Renting here is very difficult, totally different market to London.

Delighted to have somewhere, even if it's costing a fortune. Been living in her teenage bedroom (parents house) for a few months (I know I have it extremely easy compared to a lot of other people).

Says so much much about renting in Ireland at the moment when you prefer London to Dublin.

Dolbhad wrote: »
    Says so much much about renting in Ireland at the moment when you prefer London to Dublin.

London is cheaper by far, by a lot far.

Also no messing from landlords etc. 3 weeks ago I had viewed a property, liked it. Sent a one months deposit. Signed contracts. Paid one months rent in advance. Was on the train in to collect keys. Got a call from the agency to say the landlord had pulled out. No explanation. OK, put it down to bad luck.

First person to view another property, liked it. Said I wanted it, landlord said that there should be a bidding war to rent it and did I want to put in the first offer. F**k off.

Maybe 1% of agents or landlords get back to ye.

In London it's first come first served (obviously with references etc).

Dublin still a better place than London though. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Call it Ireland.

Malin Head is in "Southern Ireland "...makes no sense to call it southern Ireland

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malin_Head

aido79 wrote: »
    Call it Ireland.

Malin Head is in "Southern Ireland "...makes no sense to call it southern Ireland

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malin_Head

Difficult to say I'm moving to Ireland when I already consider myself to be from Ireland.

I'm simply using these terms to differentiate between the different jurisdictions so that my ignorance on subjects such as bin charges make sense, despite being from Ireland.

Difficult to say I'm moving to Ireland when I already consider myself to be from Ireland.

I'm simply using these terms to differentiate between the different jurisdictions so that my ignorance on subjects such as bin charges make sense, despite being from Ireland.

Call it the Republic then...basically anything except Southern Ireland.

Call it the Republic then...basically anything except Southern Ireland.

Don't think I've ever called the 26 counties, 'Southern Ireland'?

Didn't think I'd get an angry troll on a thread asking for advice before I rent somewhere. Ye have to be somewhere I suppose.

Cheers folks for the decent replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Just call it Mexico so. :pac:

Just call it Mexico so. :pac:

Will do :D

Didn't think I'd get an angry troll on a thread asking for advice before I rent somewhere. Ye have to be somewhere I suppose.

I'm not trolling. I'm giving you advice on what to call the place you now call home so you don't p#$s people off. There's no point in alienating yourself because it will happen if you refer to it as "the south of Ireland " or "26 counties".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Brego888 wrote: »
    The clues in the name "Northern" Ireland. There is no such place as Southern Ireland.

It depends. The Government of ireland Act 1920 created Northern Ireland and Southern Ireland. The evolution of the state which became the Republic of Ireland happened by way of internal legal changes in that state after the Anglo Irish treaty of 1921 was put into effect. From the viewpoint of the UK they last dealt with it as Southern Ireland.

I'm not trolling. I'm giving you advice on what to call the place you now call home so you don't p#$s people off. There's no point in alienating yourself because it will happen if you refer to it as "the south of Ireland " or "26 counties".

You are trolling, you are arguing for the sake of it.

I don't know what bubble you live in, but I don't know anyone who would be p**sed off at the terms '26 counties' or 'south'. If they don't understand the terminology, then a simple inquisitive approach from them soon has it explained.

I'm sorry if this makes you angry, but don't worry about me alienating myself. That'll never happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I don't know what bubble you live in, but I don't know anyone who would be p**sed off at the terms '26 counties' or 'south'. If they don't understand the terminology, then a simple inquisitive approach from them soon has it explained.

I'm sorry if this makes you angry, but don't worry about me alienating myself. That'll never happen.

I think you've just happened to come across the 1% of "southerners" with a weird nordie chip on their shoulder. Don't worry, they're few and far between. I'm six years in "the south" now and it's the first time I've heard anyone get het up about this nonsense.

Enjoy Dublin!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Report posts if you suspect someone is trolling

Additionally - the entire naming discussion is off-topic and needs to stop

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Mod Note

Do not call people trolls on thread please.
    Report the post of you want it to be checked.

Edit - Apologies, I’ve just seen L1011’s warning above mine now

Normal poster hat

We have the following countries in and around ourselves :

Republic of Ireland (Ireland for short)
    Northern Ireland.
    England
    Wales
    Scotland.

Southern Ireland is not a term you would hear used in the republic (Ireland).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,697 ✭✭✭✭listermint

kceire wrote: »
    Mod Note

Normal poster hat

Northern Ireland.
    England
    Wales
    Scotland.

I'm born and bread in Ireland. And I get the poster was referring to the south of the country.

And I don't get upset nor pedantic about it.

Frankly that other poster who got hung up on it ruined what was a simple thread request.

And it was backed up. Basically thread ruined by nonsense we shouldn't allow this sort of crap derailing of a question over a nonsense language thing. You wouldn't hear people on the street go on like that nor get hung up on terminology

Ridiculous.

Rant over.

listermint wrote: »
    I'm born and bread in Ireland. And I get the poster was referring to the south of the country.

And I don't get upset nor pedantic about it.

Frankly that other poster who got hung up on it ruined what was a simple thread request.

And it was backed up. Basically thread ruined by nonsense we shouldn't allow this sort of crap derailing of a question over a nonsense language thing. You wouldn't hear people on the street go on like that nor get hung up on terminology

Ridiculous.

Rant over.

Possibly not. But it’s also possible that the OP is not aware that Ireland is not referred to as Southern Ireland. So it started out as a simple correction, but IMO the OP fought back instead of accepting it.

I personally don’t know one single person that would classify Ireland as Southern Ireland. Even family and friends from Donegal/Monaghan that don’t refer to us as Southern Ireland.

Possibly not. But it’s also possible that the OP is not aware that Ireland is not referred to as Southern Ireland. So it started out as a simple correction, but IMO the OP fought back instead of accepting it.

I personally don’t know one single person that would classify Ireland as Southern Ireland. Even family and friends from Donegal/Monaghan that don’t refer to us as Southern Ireland.

I live abroad. It gets called Southern Ireland regularly here so I find it quite annoying.
    I apologise for derailing the thread (even if I wasn't the first to do so)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

STOP with the naming discussion!!!

I live abroad. It gets called Southern Ireland regularly here so I find it quite annoying.
    I apologise for derailing the thread (even if I wasn't the first to do so)

Apology accepted.

Mod Note

Normal poster hat

Northern Ireland.
    England
    Wales
    Scotland.

Yet you didn't heed their warning :D

As the other mod has warned, I'll not respond to your opinion on the debate, in this post and later in the thread.

Who's your choice of bin collector?

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭holliehobbie

OK. Don't use Greyhound for your bin collection! Thorntons are much more reliable, easier to contact and they do collect your bins!

• Advertisement

Yet you didn't heed their warning :D

As the other mod has warned, I'll not respond to your opinion on the debate, in this post and later in the thread.

Who's your choice of bin collector?

Citybin Company all day long.

Cheaper and customer care is spot on.
    My bin blew over a month or so ago. The lid broke. I sent them a message and they replaced it that week. It’s the little things.

Advertisement