Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donegal Scots

• 04-02-2015 5:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭

I took a spin around Inishowen the other week and I was wondering would it not be fair to have the road signs in Donegal in Ulster-Scots and Irish rather than just Irish, the two cultures should be represented should they not?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

No.

Enough money is wasted in this country without getting road signs put in a language that isn't even close to an official language of the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

I took a spin around Inishowen the other week and I was wondering would it not be fair to have the road signs in Donegal in Ulster-Scots and Irish rather than just Irish, the two cultures should be represented should they not?

Put the signs in reverse. Sure they're all backwards there.

Well, at least one of them is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

lets throw more money at languages no one speaks.

''Paging The Backwards Man to After Hours, paging Backwards Man''
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Donegal drivers drive to fast to read them anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Sure even loyalists in the North rip down signs in Ulster-Scots...what chance have they south (west) of the border.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/478513.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

What about Klingon?

Pa' veng SuvwI' - 12km

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

put it in Irelands second language!!!

polish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

We don't speak Ulster Scots in Inishowen. We speak a dialect all of our own heavily influenced by Mid Ulster English, Glasgow Pattter, Northern England English and Irish.

Away and scratch, ya gamadan ye!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭johnohanlon

We don't speak Ulster Scots in Inishowen. We speak a dialect all of our own heavily influenced by Mid Ulster English, Glasgow Pattter, Northern England English and Irish.

Away and scratch, ya gamadan ye!

That doesn't make sense as "Mid Ulster English" is a dialect in itself, it is heavily influenced by Ulster Irish, not that auld southern brand of Irish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,353 ✭✭✭✭endacl

5starpool wrote: »
    No.

Enough money is wasted in this country without getting road signs put in a language that isn't even close to an official language of the country Is really just 'a bit of an accent'.
    There. That's better.

:)

That doesn't make sense as "Mid Ulster English" is a dialect in itself, it is heavily influenced by Ulster Irish, not that auld southern brand of Irish
    Why doesn't it make sense? All dialects are influenced by others.

There's nothing wrong with Munster Irish, it's just a different dialect. That's the way languages are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,353 ✭✭✭✭endacl

There's nothing wrong with Munster Irish, it's just a different dialect. That's the way languages are.

It surely is, hai.

endacl wrote: »
    It surely is, hai.
    That's your southern bias creeping in

Should be

It is surely, hai.

:P

"Mid Ulster English" is simply just the name that was given to the dialect, it was never just a Mid Ulster thing, Mid Ulster is East Tyrone and South Derry. Sure Belfasts dialect is also considered Mid Ulster English.

It is simply a mixture of Ulster Irish and Scots/older forms of English.

"Mid Ulster English" is simply just the name that was given to the dialect, it was never just a Mid Ulster thing, Mid Ulster is East Tyrone and South Derry. Sure Belfasts dialect is also considered Mid Ulster English.

It is simply a mixture of Ulster Irish and Scots/older forms of English.
    Yeah, that's why I mentioned when I referred to the dialects that influence the way I speak.:confused:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

OP do you know what Ulster Scots is ??

Take away the accent , the bad spelling and a couple of wee words and they might as well use the Queen's English.

http://www.niassembly.gov.uk/about-the-assembly/general-information/information-leaflets/ulster-scots/
    Wirkan for yo

Wantan tae find out mair anent the Norlin Airlan Assemblie?

Pey a veesit tae the wabsteid on
    www.niassembly.gov.uk
    Caa or email wi onie speirs
    See the Assemblie in plenarie session on Monandey or Tuesdey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

5starpool wrote: »
    No.

Enough money is wasted in this country without getting road signs put in a language that isn't even close to an official language of the country.
    Yeah.

endacl wrote: »
    It surely is, hai.

I thought it was "surely to god hi" like frostbit man

http://youtu.be/afa62ivfobA?t=1m52s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

There shouldn't even be signs in Irish. Waste of money.

• Advertisement

Yeah, that's why I mentioned when I referred to the dialects that influence the way I speak.:confused:

I realised that I worded that last comment wrong, you see you had written "Mid Ulster English" "Scots", "Irish" and "northern English" as separate dialects, but you see "Mid Ulster English" is the umbrella term for all those dialects mixed together so really it is not a dialect in itself, it is a collection of dialects grouped together to form the Ulster accent, more notably the west Ulster accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Deranged96

Letree wrote: »

Its a sad day when culture is let die for the sake of money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭calanus

yeah yeah.... whatever you say Willie Frazer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

So people who speak with a northern twang, suddenly are speaking in another language altogether? Ulster-scots me boll!x. Just sh1te talk from warped unionists trying to be difficult

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Deranged96 wrote: »

Seeing the enthusiasm for Irish since I moved to Belfast has made the southern hatred seem all the more pathetic.

So people who speak with a northern twang, suddenly are speaking in another language altogether? Ulster-scots me boll!x. Just sh1te talk from warped unionists trying to be difficult

It is a dialect associated with orange heritage and there are many orange people in Donegal apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Jake1 wrote: »
    ''Paging The Backwards Man to After Hours, paging Backwards Man''
    :D

He is away walking backwards to the pub :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Letree wrote: »

Beidh mhuineach ort! :eek::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

The older generation here spoke what they called "the Scotch" - "thon" for that, "starved" for cold and so on, but what's left in this end of Donegal is closer to a Weegie (Glasgow) accent. Both Donegal and the Clyde influence each other in how we speak. But adding a third line of signage, no, no point to that. Better for Ulster-Scots enthusiasts to protect their "kist o' wurds" by recording and preserving their dialect than to pretend that it is a living language. It's worth keeping it, but not worth reviving it.

• Advertisement

It is a dialect associated with orange heritage and there are many orange people in Donegal apparently

Ye a dialect isn't a language, Irish is. It's not like for like. Unionists only became interested in this part of their "heritage" for the sake of it, when nationalist parties were trying to get more people to learn Irish, hence just to be difficult.

It's like saying road signs in Kerry should read the way the words sound when spoken down there and start calling it a new language

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 1357

Ah here! Leave 'r ouh!

Ye a dialect isn't a language, Irish is. It's not like for like. Unionists only became interested in this part of their "heritage" for the sake of it, when nationalist parties were trying to get more people to learn Irish, hence just to be difficult.

It's like saying road signs in Kerry should read the way the words sound when spoken down there and start calling it a new language

My grandmother, who did speak "The Scotch", certainly wasn't a unionist. Truth is more complicated than polemics.

Banjoxed wrote: »
    My grandmother, who did speak "The Scotch", certainly wasn't a unionist. Truth is more complicated than polemics.

Both dialects, neither languages

I mine wan time I foun a tarra reek a ae gassur that was taakin balls. He reckon that way I spake wa Ulster Scots an I says ta him, away an boil her heed, tha way we take up thonder i nating lake Ulster Scots. A right wheen a us ha a dialect a er own, lake it or no. Aye surely fine rightly ya eejit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

Deranged96 wrote: »

Its been a hundred years since the foundation of the state and still most people aren't interested enough to speak the language beyond a few token words or phrases. Its a farce, what other country claims a language as their first language but doesn't bother speaking it. As far as i'm concerned its a dead language.

• Advertisement

Both dialects, neither languages

If you saw my post earlier, you'll note that I'm talking about what's now called "Ulster Scots" and I have indeed called it a dialect. I still think it's of value to study but would never call it a language and have also said its a nonsense to revive it as a spoken tongue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭circadian

I think you'll find the Ulster Scots accent is more common around the Laggan Valley (Ballybofey etc) than Inishowen.

Advertisement