Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Robots! Dey tuk err jabs!! What careers may be on the way out?

• 03-02-2015 9:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭

Was just thinking the other day about Google self driving cars and the prediction they'll be in the road within the next 5 years.

Would an advanced level of such technology ultimately mean the demise of so many jobs, like taxidrivers, van drivers etc... Will there be Johnny Cabs all over the country?
    I'm sure this new technology will bring new jobs in other areas, but 'older' jobs may fall by the wayside.

What jobs do you think will be made 'redundant' over the next 10 years or so?

Are even the Boards.ie Mods at risk??

:pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,681 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I got a degree in Lighthouse keeping, no luck since

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 33,753 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I plan on buying a robot for my farm this year, I have no help so a robot will help me by cleaning the shed and won't ask for any pay, just maintenance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

The cleaning industry , Bus,train, drivers , in general,Pilots, Computer programmers when they become self aware :pac: and soldiers although in this case their role may change rather than the career be replaced by robotics. Look at the rapid development of drones and how affordable and accessible they have become.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

When I was in school we were told we'd all be working in paperless offices.

In my previous job, the vast majority of my time was taken up doing paperwork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

They don't disappear they evolve in to some other type of work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

They'd work best if everyone had one, which won't be the case for a very long time.

I think they'll do a grand job at driving but I'd much rather be at the wheel to make a decision if someone driving a car came towards me out of control. Google car won't be programmed to make a decision to go through a barrier to avoid a head on collision for example..

As long as there's people still driving their own cars, i'll keep driving mine!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

RobertKK wrote: »
    I plan on buying a robot for my farm this year, I have no help so a robot will help me by cleaning the shed and won't ask for any pay, just maintenance.

Saw these on Discovery the other night, was a very interesting watch and even though they're expensive they make sense as a long term investment. Do you plan on expanding to eventually have the whole setup of the different types robots going and doing their jobs 24/7? I'd imagine large farms could really benefit from the efficiency these things offer, especially dairy farmers since they'd never need to manually hook up milking machines or clean the cows and sheds again and they can also detect illnesses in the cows a lot earlier than before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

JeffK88 wrote: »
    The cleaning industry , Bus,train, drivers , in general,Pilots, Computer programmers when they become self aware :pac: and soldiers although in this case their role may change rather than the career be replaced by robotics. Look at the rapid development of drones and how affordable and accessible they have become.

Drones are remote control airplanes.Been around for decades.

Self drive cars are another pointless "pie in the sky"that will never happen.
    Been hearing about robots on the verge of taking over for nearly forty years,still not seen one worth a ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Mr.Buzz

JeffK88 wrote: »

There is a lot of job to be done for robots to become soldiers and/or killing machines. Drones are one thing - they're after all controlled by humans and hardly something I'd be inclined to call a fully functional, independent robot. I'm not so confident that creating self-controlled, aware killing machines is a smart move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Degree in robot making seems the logical bet.

• Advertisement

kneemos wrote: »
    Drones are remote control airplanes.Been around for decades.

Self drive cars are another pointless "pie in the sky"that will never happen.
    Been hearing about robots on the verge of taking over for nearly forty years,still not seen one worth a ****e.

But Audi and Google both have self driving cars that have driven hundreds of thousands of miles without any accidents to test their safety and since GPS and the other technology used in them is constantly evolving so quickly they're more than likely going to happen, just not at a large scale within the next 5-10 years.

Also, Amazon have a pretty amazing system of robots setup so I guess here's your chance to finally see one worth a ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Self driving cars will only become a thing in urban areas where no one should have a car anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

A world without taxi drivers....that's the dream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I have often thought about this before :o
    Obviously regular jobs like warehouse, retail, general operative jobs (etc) would go.

But in reality, most college and degree jobs would eventually go themselves. Why pay someone 40k - 50k a year when you could have a robot do it (for next to nothing) and in a fraction of the time?

Analyst jobs would be the first to get hit IMO :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

It'll actually be jobs like doctors, dentists, lawyers and accountants that will go first.

But Audi and Google both have self driving cars that have driven hundreds of thousands of miles without any accidents to test their safety and since GPS and the other technology used in them is constantly evolving so quickly they're more than likely going to happen, just not at a large scale within the next 5-10 years.

Also, Amazon have a pretty amazing system of robots setup so I guess here's your chance to finally see one worth a ****e.

Who's going to buy a car and sit in it like a lemon when it drives itself?...nobody,pointless things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Moderators jobs will go first I say :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

A good bet would be Busses and Taxis.

Future-proofing, for this life time anyway, job prospects: Robot Maintenance!

I'd love to have a Gardening robot... be it removing leaves, mowing the lawn, removing weeds, etc., ... that'd be awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

i work in robot maintenance.

sorted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

There's basically no role in which a human can't ultimately be replaced by a robot once it becomes cost effective.

Software development or mechanical engineering are probably the places to be since someone needs to design the robots and tell them what to do.

Of course, eventually robots will be able to do that too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

It'll actually be jobs like doctors, dentists, lawyers and accountants that will go first.

There's already software available in exstence that can out-diagnose some GPs. Pretty amazing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The google cars have been in accidents. Just haven't caused them. Its been people that crashed into'em. Funnily enough too, as these automated cars require a person to be available to take control in case of an emergency. But its far more likely to happen to them, as opposed to by them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Who's going to buy a car and sit in it like a lemon when it drives itself?...nobody,pointless things.

I would, faster than public transport and you don't have to sit beside the dreggs of society. Plus you can read a book and chillout in peace while you get to where you are going. Win, win.

Yeah, everyone just loves driving and couldn't use the time to otherwise be doing something productive or enjoyable. I'd much rather be able to use the laptop for commutes than actually driving, and then there are long journies. Who wouldn't want to be able to sleep or watch a movie etc. in their private car instead of a bus? And it'd be even better if you were going anywhere with a group of people, Mercedes showcased a concept self driving car where you can have all four passengers facing one another as if you were just sitting in a room. And what about when you come out of the pub and want to head home? Would you rather pay a taxi or have your car collect you? Yeah, nobody would benefit from self driving cars just because you wouldn't. Lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I need your clothes, your boots, and your P45.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Hope the robot taxi will having a talking function, otherwise I'll miss the guberments fault, spiels etc

Gmol wrote: »
    Hope the robot taxi will having a talking function, otherwise I'll miss the guberments fault, spiels etc

Dreaded weather talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Well most people buy cars to get from A to B. I don't expect to see a self driving car commercially available in the next ten years but they will come and they will be popular with the majority of people. Probably won't be run by windows though!

Paperless or near paperless offices are often quite feasible. Some people don't want to work without paper though. I worked in one company for 7 years in which time I probably printed 7 sheets of paper all for expenses and even that process has been made paperless before I left. OTOH where I'm working now people seem to prefer using paper and typically print off reports to read them and even when making comparisons. In work I rarely print but If I'm studying something I do much better with printed materials than I do with screens - don't know if that's because it's what I grew up with and my children won't have the same experience or if there's something fundamentally different about using a screen compared to a piece of paper that impacts the learning experience.

Low level everything is at risk, someone mentioned analysts earlier on. They'll never disappear because analysts are the ones that make sense of the products of the computers/robots but I see much fewer people producing dashboards than I did ten years ago as the technology available has improved and they've become easier to automate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Old people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I would, faster than public transport and you don't have to sit beside the dreggs of society. Plus you can read a book and chillout in peace while you get to where you are going. Win, win.

Could be a massive win for the pubs of Ireland too... if people are allowed to be in their car drunk as a skunk as long as it's driving them home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Boards.ie moderators. Twill all be bout the modbots in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

My mother was a phone operator, lighting Matilda they called her. She could connect 16 to 220 in less than 30 seconds. But alas them dame robots came in and tuk err jab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

El Weirdo wrote: »
    When I was in school we were told we'd all be working in paperless offices.

In my previous job, the vast majority of my time was taken up doing paperwork.

I remember that well too.

I would love a robot hoover but one with the same power in it as a proper full sized hoover. I spend around 30 minutes everyday hoovering at home because I have 4 dogs, that's around 4 hours a week, usually more because I give everywhere a good going over at the weekend. It would make life so much easier for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Doctors are safe, their jobs will become more reliant on using software and machines to do most of the work though.

Self driving cars are far along, the main problem for them is the people driving the other cars are stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Self-driving vehicles could absolutely revolutionise our society and give climate change a massive kick in the goolies (couple with other factors like electric cars, LPG, Hydrogen and whatever else).

A traffic system that's completely efficient (no traffic jams, no stress in the commute to work, less pollution from idling cars), creates far fewer accidents (the only accidents would be down to mechanical failure and they're a lot rarer than driver error) and is far cheaper to run (insurance premiums, transporting goods, taxies, etc) would make a massive difference to our culture.

So much of what we do is lessened by human failings - police brutality, soldiers accidentally killing each other with friendly fire or shooting illegitimate targets, doctors cocking up surgeries, truck drivers falling asleep at the wheel.

No matter how skilled a purely technical task is, if it has no intrinsic creative requirement then it should be handled by a robot.

There will theoretically come a time when there's no jobs left but we're many decades away from that point so I think it's difficult to even speculate how society will have to adapt.

Doctors are safe, their jobs will become more reliant on using software and machines to do most of the work though.

Self driving cars are far along, the main problem for them is the people driving the other cars are stupid.

But there's software being made to purposely replace doctors, or at least make them a last resort, that can even be used on a smart phone.

Gbear wrote: »
    Self-driving vehicles could absolutely revolutionise our society and give climate change a massive kick in the goolies (couple with other factors like electric cars, LPG, Hydrogen and whatever else).

A traffic system that's completely efficient (no traffic jams, no stress in the commute to work, less pollution from idling cars), creates far fewer accidents (the only accidents would be down to mechanical failure and they're a lot rarer than driver error) and is far cheaper to run (insurance premiums, transporting goods, taxies, etc) would make a massive difference to our culture.

So much of what we do is lessened by human failings - police brutality, soldiers accidentally killing each other with friendly fire or shooting illegitimate targets, doctors cocking up surgeries, truck drivers falling asleep at the wheel.

No matter how skilled a purely technical task is, if it has no intrinsic creative requirement then it should be handled by a robot.

There will theoretically come a time when there's no jobs left but we're many decades away from that point so I think it's difficult to even speculate how society will have to adapt.

The first time I saw a video of self driving cars was one showcasing this, they had a few of them setup in a small town in France and seeing them all move in perfect synch and slowing down and speeding up while less than a foot apart from one another with absolutely no collisions was unbelievable. It was like a train made of linked up cars.

I'd love to know what kind of speed they'd allow if every car on the road was one of these since they're better drivers than humans. And also how they'd handle the different difficulties of driving in harsh weather.

But there's software being made to purposely replace doctors, or at least make them a last resort, that can even be used on a smart phone.

Can this software write a script?

Can this software write a script?

If it was released and legally approved scripts would probably just be like showing a reservation on your phone at Argos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭RedPandaDan

I remember that well too.

I would love a robot hoover but one with the same power in it as a proper full sized hoover. I spend around 30 minutes everyday hoovering at home because I have 4 dogs, that's around 4 hours a week, usually more because I give everywhere a good going over at the weekend. It would make life so much easier for me.

Maybe get robot dogs instead, no mess that way! :P

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Well Robots will always breakdown...so I guess there will be an increased need for robot technicians....same way as there was a need for mechanics.
    I guess as the car replaced the horse and cart then the blacksmith had to retrain as a mechanic.

I'd say the likes of Christian Brothers and nuns are finished

If it was released and legally approved scripts would probably just be like showing a reservation on your phone at Argos.

Yeah right.

Quality drugs over the phone.
    I see many flaws in that system,main one being getting medical advice from a computer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

While a computer could do a great job diagnosing someone with all the information available to it I wouldnt trust an average person to be able to use it properly. You would still at least have to go to a doctor for them to confirm it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

So can we launch the useless third of the planet off in to space then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBmdkhDGZ8A&feature=youtu.be&t=20m55s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,677 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

I'm getting a job as a Bladerunner.

Growth industry down the line.

Yeah right.

Quality drugs over the phone.
    I see many flaws in that system,main one being getting medical advice from a computer.

There are flaws in every new invention, overtime improvements are made until they work properly and I'm sure software like this would be no different.

While a computer could do a great job diagnosing someone with all the information available to it I wouldnt trust an average person to be able to use it properly. You would still at least have to go to a doctor for them to confirm it.

That is true. They'd have to work with medical professionals to get the information. I'd say young doctors wouldn't be willing to help the development of something that could possibly make them obsolete but there would definitely be older, more experienced doctors close to retirement willing to help them out for a fee. There are millions of doctors in the world who deal with millions of patients everyday, if they even had just 1,000 doctors around the world gathering and confirming diagnosis information everyday for a few years it could work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Look at youth unemployment across the western world the process has begun

it wont end well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭d2ww

There are flaws in this essay, but worth a look anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnJTWzf8kH4

• Advertisement
Advertisement