Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD graduate medicine

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭hurdygurdy85

Yillan wrote: »
    This is worth bumping for those who attended the open day this morning. Crowd of pricks every last one of them, but that's neither here nor there

Was it the prospective GEM students or was it just LC students? Or all of them? I thought the people who attended the open day before this were pretty ok......

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

ah I was being facetious. Everyone was darling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 hattie

matgrad1 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am a woman in late 30s (with a family) very interested in graduate medicine. I have a 2.1 degree and am completing an MSc (thesis stage) at present. So first question - assuming I could pass the GMSAT, would I make the entry requirements.
    Are there any late 30’s students, or am I too old to change to a career in medicine which will take the best part of 8-10 years, I would be mid-late 40’s starting a career.
    I would really appreciate some advice. I have already completed a degree and MSc with a small family – so I understand it’s not the easiest way to study. I would be very interested in talking to any student in a similar situation as this is not an easy decision to make.

Although I really wanted to study Medicine it was not an option for me at school leaving age and until the graduate program was opened so it was never something I could hope to do. I’ve had a look at the time table supplied from Grad Med and it appears to be under a 40 hour week and takes part during normal working hours - (is there much evening weekend study or activities).
    Are yearly fees very expensive – I’ve seen grad meds advice on loans but what the yearly fees are like?
    Are there crèche facilities - in the grad med universities? UCD in particular.

I’m assuming it gets more difficult at intern stage – what are the hours like and do you get paid. Is this a one year position? Do you sit exams as well as working?

Am I correct in thinking that you then start GP training or specialize. Again what are the time commitments of this – is it work and study and exams –if so I would appreciate rough time commitments.

I’m trying to figure out if I’m mad to consider a career change at such a late stage in life and the impact this would have on my family and also is it possible without bankrupting us. ?

Thanks is advance for any help.

I am in my late 30s and have just finished 1st year.. it has been incredibly tough... tougher than I thought, learning is rote learn and reproduce it what seems like endless MCQs... I left a good well paying job not sure why guess I did not expect to get in so did the GAMSAT to get it out of my system and then next thing found myself sitting in a lecture theatre learning anatomy.. I do not have a family and not sure I would have done it if I had the hours are long not the lectures but just the amount of study required and I also work part time to help make ends meet. The study does get easier as the year goes on you get a method but found it very tough at first.... that being said my approach to date has been to just take it one month (exam) at a time... probably not the best solution but 1st year already done.. so if you really want to do it.. are incredibly discplined then go for it...as for me not sure if I should go in to 2nd year or go back to my previous job which is still open... the idea of being an intern in my early 40s sort of scares me!!:cool: But then the idea of going back to my well paid job which I have done for the past few years and keep doing that till I fall over is not ideal either... would also love to hear from any older Med Students... who are a bit more advanced in the course...at the end of the day if you do not do it you will always think what if???

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭GradMed

I'm just about to finish up my 3rd year in UCD graduate entry. If people missed the open evening I'll try and answer any questions you have, might even arrange a little tour around the health sciences building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 frigate gumption

great thread, thanks.

got a question about the course- is it mostly hospital work in years 3 and 4 as opposed to year 1 and 2 which seem to be nearly all lectures and college work?

and, nother question- see in those timetables you posted from 1st term in year 1, there's about 16 hrs total on the timetable. would 16 hours be around the average number of hours per week for 1st year including everything, practicals, lectures, gp visits etc.? what i'm gettin at really is how many hours should i be expecting to be in college a week in 1st year? would having a biochem degree get ya some exemptions?

again, cheers for the info in the thread. really good stuff.

edit: when are the GEM students in classes with the general medicine students? year 2? 3?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

It's worth having a look at this thread over at New Media Medicine.

LV1 answers questions on UCD

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭GradMed

It's mainly in the hospitals in years 3 and 4 but you will have lectures in hospital too.

It's probably a bit more than 16 hours a week but you might be better off speaking to someone that's done first year a bit more recently. You should set aside a few hours for study though.

You should be able to get exemptions with your biochem degree, sort it out early on because there is a deadline.

We're mixed in with the undergrads properly in 3rd year.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Fuctifino

Great thread.

Advertisement