Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How would you say "Can I ask you a question?" in Irish

Options
  • 03-01-2012 4:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Thanks for any help...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

god um its 4am i think, ya might get away with come here ya fecker can i ask ya a quick question? and put on a country accent sorted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Harry the Red

Ummmm ich... bin... baguette... sil vous plait?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

"An féidir liom ceist a chur ort?"

"An freagróidh tú ceist dom?"

"Inis dom, (ceist)...?"

OK, I'll be serious, gathering from a bit of my own logic and google translate, I think it's something like "An féidir liom iarraidh ceist agat?" or "Ar féidir liom iarraidh ceist agat?".

I hate Irish...

sorry for third post XD
    I've figured out it IS "an" NOT "ar"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

I hate Irish...

How original.

First of all, it's a question of permission, not ability, i.e. may I ask you a question.

"An bhfuil cead agam ceist a chur ort?"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

If you don't want to say 'can I' you could just say 'Ceist agam ort' - 'Question for you'.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mr chips

"An dtig liom ceist a chur ort?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭deirdremf

Rob G wrote: »
    Thanks for any help...
    "An féidir liom ceist a chur ort?"

"An freagróidh tú ceist dom?"

"Inis dom, (ceist)...?"
    pog it wrote: »
    If you don't want to say 'can I' you could just say 'Ceist agam ort' - 'Question for you'.
    mr chips wrote: »
    "An dtig liom ceist a chur ort?"
    The ones in black type seem good to me.
    And if you want to be a little more formal or polite, you could try

"Ar mhiste leat má chuireann mé ceist ort?"
    or
    "Ar mhiste leat ceist a fhreagairt dom?"

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

deirdremf wrote: »
    "Ar mhiste leat ceist a fhreagairt dom?"

I was just thinking of posting that one too. :) Great minds!

• Advertisement

Gael wrote: »
    How original.

First of all, it's a question of permission, not ability, i.e. may I ask you a question.

"How original"? Seriously? I might say that to someone who says "Justin Bieber's music sucks" but not "I hate Irish". I've argued with many people who DO support continuing to teach Irish even though it's still slowly dying anyway. By the way, do you support the mandatory teaching or Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Gael wrote: »
    How original.

"How original"? Seriously? I might say that to someone who says "Justin Bieber's music sucks" but not "I hate Irish". I've argued with many people who DO support continuing to teach Irish even though it's still slowly dying anyway. By the way, do you support the mandatory teaching or Irish?

Well you did say that you hate Irish in the Irish forum ???

*grabs popcorn*

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mr chips

Ah go easy on him folks. It's obviously a hot topic for him right now and they do have a tendency to act out at that stage. It was Commerce that I hated most of all.

But honestly Harry, once you have the exams you'll be set for life. The world is your oyster, you just don't realise it yet. And the spots will clear up eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 brianeanna

Lord save us, but could ye be a little less sensitive?

Harry's clearly only expressing annoyance at the complexities of Irish grammar, rather than making a philosophical statement about the language.

He was originally trying to help, you know!

B

brianeanna wrote: »
    Lord save us, but could ye be a little less sensitive?

Harry's clearly only expressing annoyance at the complexities of Irish grammar, rather than making a philosophical statement about the language.

He was originally trying to help, you know!

B

Pile o'rubbish. Did you read Harry's second offering in this thread?

He's about as helpful here as an umbrella made of tissue paper.

Advertisement