Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A CCTV Question

Options
  • 24-04-2019 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,968 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

As far as I know the law regarding CCTV is somewhat murky so please excuse any lack of clarity on my part. I have a front camera that covers our garden but also covers the neighbours. In fact most of us on the street have one. My question is in regards to a rear camera. Currently it's at the very side of the house and looks into our garden and then onto the road that runs by. I was wondering this, if I change position to the other side of the house so that it doesn't catch what's happening in the neighbours garden but would pick up a back window being slammed, would that be an invasion of privacy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

I’m open to correction but I believe that if the camera primarily covers your own lands and is not intended to overlook neighbours you should be grand, as long and you aren’t spying on neighbours.

There was a guy in court a few months ago (Lucan weir Dublin neighbours cctv).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭Homer

Depends how important your security is to you. I have camera that faces out onto a (semi rural) road and is anpr capable so captures every car reg that passes my property. Is it GDPR compliant? Not sure, but I take my security & my family security more serious than any over riding diktats!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,968 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Thanks Folks,

It would cover the majority of my garden and wall but as it's high up and quite wide angled it might very well pick up the edge of their property, which is why I was asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

If it’s incidental coverage I wouldn’t worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,968 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

If it’s incidental coverage I wouldn’t worry about it.

That's absolutely what it would be. The main focus would be on my own garden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭eusap

most decent CCTV has a Privacy Filter where you can black out a portion of the recording.

Advertisement