Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lost 5ghz wifi connection on wireless card (legacy))

Options
  • 17-04-2019 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭

im using Alfa AWUS051NH v2 wireless card and up till yesterday it worked fine on both 2.4 and 5ghz networks.
    But after turning on pc yesterday i couldn't connect to 5ghz band anymore.

now this wireless card is long distance one with antenna attachment and has many uses but im using it to be on 5ghz channel, while most at home use 2.4ghz band and this would get me no interruptions or interference.

problem is im running Win10pro, and seems any support for that card has finished in 2015, now card doesnt support full 802.11ac but rather 802.11n.
    my router is from virgin media hub 3.0 and it has setting for 5ghz band on a/n/ac mixed bands but wireless card utility seems to see just ac connection, and when trying to connect i get message cant connect and it reverts back to 2.4.

Just to make sure it works on current setup i plugged into linux machine it has no issues connecting to 5ghz band from it and supports it out of the box no need for driver install.

i have tried original drivers, updated ones up to 2018, with no luck switching between different chipset drivers, changing settings on router etc- for some reason it worked fine on ac band shown in utility, but not sure what happened - could VM remotely upgraded router firmware ?

as tried wiping all known wifi connections, but seems whatever happened it wont go back to 5ghz band, multiple reboots, shut downs and wait. As there's only few drivers but seems for whatever reason it wont connect to mixed a/n/ac or n/ac mixed band anymore.

took me full day looking for solutions yesterday but no luck, as seems there's no support for card on windows at all, and router doesn't have option to select only 802.11n band only.

since in device manager it does show up as 802.11n but theres no option in advanced settings to enable it, just to have 2.4+5 and selecting different chanells for both bands which after running trough different didnt do anything in terms of connecting back to 5ghz :/
    this is tough one as either will need new wifi card, or router.

any solutions or advice appreciated sorry for long post.

Advertisement