Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KBC Suck

Options
  • 24-04-2019 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

I went to open a current account with KBC but was told I would be unable to open it in my own name. Long story short, I went to two other Irish banks to enquire about opening an account and they said yes of course there would be no problem.

KBC said I could only open an account in the name on my passport which is my shortened name. However this was a name I used about 9 years ago. When things started getting more strict I started using my full name for everything, Driving licence, Revenue, PPS, Utilities etc. Haven't used my shortened name for anything in nearly 9 years. My shortened name does not match any other documents yet KBC said I can only open an account in my shortened name.

I then went to two other leading Irish banks and they said yes of course I could open one. I then told them about my KBC experience and they said that I couldn't open an account with them in my shortened name even if I wanted to. They said the name doesn't even match any other documents and is nearly 10 years old also.

The other banks have a slightly lower interest rate on products but at least you're dealing with professionals, which will probably save on time and energy anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

What form of photo ID did you present to KBC?

https://www.kbc.ie/help/faqs

New customers

If you are applying for a current account in one of our Hubs you will need to provide one original proof of photo ID and one original proof of address verification (issued in the last 6 months).

If you are applying online or over the phone you will need to provide two proofs of photo ID and two proofs of address verification (issued within the last 6 months).

To make it easier you can email a clear scan/photo of your documents proofs to us

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Edwardfinance

Yes I applied online and used my driving licence and passport.

An advisor rang me and told me I would have to open it in the shortened name because it was on the passport. I told him I would think about it and get back to them.

I then emailed KBC just to double check and got another phone call from another advisor. He was adamant that I could only open it in the shortened name.

Thats interesting, "If you are applying for a current account in one of our Hubs you will need to provide one original proof of photo ID and one original proof of address verification (issued in the last 6 months)." That could potentially solve the problem unless the one form of ID is the passport.

I'm thinking I'll just go with the other bank anyway.

Thanks, all the best!

Advertisement