Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cheap old car to tinker around on

Options
  • 19-07-2013 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to buy an old car to tinker around on, to learn how it all works etc, fix it up, it's something I've always wanted to do.

Ideally it would be cheap to purchase, easy to work on, and parts would be reasonably plentiful and not break the bank. I don't want to buy something that needs a full restoration, ideally it would be something that would be driveable from the get go (or with a little tinkering) and it could be an ongoing project for me to improve on. Small engined too, for insurance reasons, I'm 22.

A few people have recommended a Mini, what do you reckon? Any advice would be welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

mk2 golf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Or a beetle but at you're age I think insurance is the biggest obstacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭DaveCol

Mk1 Fiesta

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

original mini. check for rust first

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

DaveCol wrote: »
    Mk1 Fiesta

Thats the job. cheap or one needing some love and dead simple. Plenty of fun, easy upgrades you can make too, plus you can get them old enough to fall into the vintage bracket.
    sharp looking little things and waaay cheaper than a mk1 golf of similar age and a different, less overdone car for a young lad to be driving as opposed to the likes of a 80s starlet or old golf. They're going up in value now for nice restored ones too

http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1982-fiesta-l/5008512

not mine, but get him down another little bit and you could have a good little project

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭force majeure

Stay away from Fords!. Rust will drive you manic, I have a Puma as a pet project and insofar its proving a challenge. Mind you I got it in exchange for an dsl merc I wanted rid off so no great cash loss.
    May post up a few photos later on it.
    Best of luck to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

Stay away from Fords!. Rust will drive you manic, I have a Puma as a pet project and insofar its proving a challenge. Mind you I got it in exchange for an dsl merc I wanted rid off so no great cash loss.
    Best of luck to you.

Great reasoned point there :rolleyes:

What's 30 years old, steel and doesn't rust?

Have you a suggestion for him at all?
    If he wants to get into old cars he'll have to experience rust.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 avaconirl

porsche 924 galvanised body only rusts whereit has been repaired badly.
    reliant scimitar fibreglass body ford, triumph mechanicals.

i am sure there are more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Best of luck to you.

Well at least you got rid of an old barge.............:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

If its cheap and old it probably will have rust issues. The Mini is a good choice but engine is very cramped, a morris minor is great car to start as its easy to work on,
    A diesel mk iii golf or fiesta would be good more modern options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭salysol

I have an old Dublin reg 4 door split screen morris minor that needs a lot of restoring,but its by no means beyond it,if you fancy taking it on let me know and we can discuss the price , it's going cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

Insurance should not be an issue. Is it your second car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

johnk123 wrote: »
    Insurance should not be an issue. Is it your second car?
    No, I'm a named driver on my dads car

Advertisement