Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Shamrock car

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Blue850

Some info on the Shamrock's bodywork designer Alvin "Spike" Rhiando

Seems quite a character:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

Sorry lads, but I think Shamrock car is absolutely hideous an fugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 davhat

Hi All,

I am living in Castleblayney and for the first time last Friday I seen the Shamrock car in the Castleblayney Mockno festival. I have being gathering as much information on the car since I seen it. I have heard that there was 10 made and then some people day 8. Does anyone have the correct number manufactured? Did all the cars have a ZV number plates?

Carazy, What is the Reg plate number of the Car owned by Dan Holms in Seattle?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Silvera

davhat wrote: »
    Hi All,

I am living in Castleblayney and for the first time last Friday I seen the Shamrock car in the Castleblayney Mockno festival. I have being gathering as much information on the car since I seen it. I have heard that there was 10 made and then some people day 8. Does anyone have the correct number manufactured? Did all the cars have a ZV number plates?

There is a book 'Motor Makers in Ireland' which has more details about The Shamrock. I believe there is an original Irish-registered car stored somewhere in Enniscorthy, Co. Wexford.

I know the 'ZV' registered car you are referring to...I photographed it a few years ago at Mosney Show. It bears a ZV plate either because it was imported into Ireland in recent years, or it was stored in Ireland and never registered until it was put on the road some years ago - hence the ZV plate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

If you mean stored as in abandoned in a field then yes there is one in enniscorthy somewhere.
    I'd imagine that the Zv reg one was imported recently because if it was an original unregistered car would it not get a new reg no?

Silvera wrote: »
    There is a book 'Motor Makers in Ireland' which has more details about The Shamrock. I believe there is an original Irish-registered car stored somewhere in Enniscorthy, Co. Wexford.

I know the 'ZV' registered car you are referring to...I photographed it a few years ago at Mosney Show. It bears a ZV plate either because it was imported into Ireland in recent years, or it was stored in Ireland and never registered until it was put on the road some years ago - hence the ZV plate.
    Silvera,

The ZV 3216 is still on the road in Drogheda, I seen this one last Friday in Castleblayney. I think the one in Enniscorthy, Co. Wexford is Reg number EMI634 and yes Kev1.3s last I heard it was in a field looking "worse for wear" back in 2010. These facts are from my research on the Car so far. I have found seven reg numbers so far.

davhat wrote: »
    Silvera,

The ZV 3216 is still on the road in Drogheda, I seen this one last Friday in Castleblayney. I think the one in Enniscorthy, Co. Wexford is Reg number EMI634 and yes Kev1.3s last I heard it was in a field looking "worse for wear" back in 2010. These facts are from my research on the Car so far. I have found seven reg numbers so far.

I am aware that ZV 3216 is still on the road...it also appeared at the Terenure Show and the RIAC Show in the RDS. I didnt realise that the Enniscorthy-based Shamrock was in a field?!? Has anybody here approached the owner about selling it?

kev 1.3s,
    I 've heard/read before about unregistered classics getting ZV plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭68deville

last time I had a gawk it was in an awful state parked up minus its windscreen, must make a few subtle inquiries about it

Silvera wrote: »
    kev 1.3s,
    I 've heard/read before about unregistered classics getting ZV plates.

I know it's not a classic but O'Donohues in Enniscorthy has a first gen Alfa 156 gta unregistered that a friend of mine was interested in and that would have been getting a new reg. I'd assume that if a car was never registered then it would be a new car in the states opinion, why on earth would they miss out on an opportunity to stick you with full tax and vrt.

• Advertisement

If a vehicle is over 30 yrs old €200 VRT applies - hence ZV also.

Example of this was the Mercedes truck used on trade plates all its life (i.e. unregistered from new) around Dublin by Mercedes Distributors until it made it into the classic scene with 'ZV' plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mero

Hi, I had one when I was a young man growing up in Inchicore. Got it as part payment on a job. Have to smile at the idea of dismantling the rear end to change a wheel. Had many flat wheels but the jack supplied was well up to the job. More if anyone is interested

Any pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 pebb

Blue850 wrote: »
    ShanrockAZH394-1.jpg
    Did this one survive? It was in Carlow in 1972

yes it did i know where it is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

I was reading recently in Irish Vintage Scene about a Shamrock that was in Galway in the late 60s, its hood was so bad at letting in water, holes were drilled in the floor to let rain water out:D

Does anybody know the reg of the Shamrock in Killarney?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Blue850 wrote: »
    I was reading recently in Irish Vintage Scene about a Shamrock that was in Galway in the late 60s, its hood was so bad at letting in water, holes were drilled in the floor to let rain water out:D

Does anybody know the reg of the Shamrock in Killarney?
    Can't think offhand, but I know that a lack of paperwork for said car means there isnt much chance of getting it retained. The owner has been trying.

10411909_1513165875571418_3959889004361789974_n.jpg?oh=7ca86b50aced0309e3108621cbaa71c1&oe=54C84663

10300436_10203332364221220_2035833756024423845_n.jpg?oh=b8de8987180996638cc670fc72818e92&oe=548C1027

The greenie in California out and about:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 saskiaver

Hello everyone!

I'm leaving a note here to hopefully get in contact with some Shamrock enthusiasts!

We're currently two months into filming a documentary on the Shamrock. It's been years in the making with lots of detective work.
    Piecing together information on the car has been fascinating. However, we're always on the lookout for more stories and information. We'd love to hear from anyone with any connection to the Shamrock. If you worked (or know anyone who worked) at the Castleblaney factory, if you've spotted a Shamrock on your travels or ever owned one, or have a personal story or memory to share with us, we'd love to hear from you.

Please get in touch by emailing me at shamrockcar AT gmail.com or message me here.

Many thanks,
    Saskia

1ac.jpg

Dan Holm's Seattle Shamrock for sale/sold?

At a classic car dealers in the USA last June for $35,000 :eek:

• Advertisement

ShamrockBrochure1.jpg

Just got my hands on a mint condition Shamrock sales leaflet. Probably rarer than the car :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Now that would be like hens teeth, I'd imagine.

ShamrockKZE157c.jpg

fc3090ae-729c-4bc3-9a8b-ba18ab2159e8.jpg

KZE 157, from Castleblayney has shown in the above book.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 citroman

I remember seeing one of these cars being driven around Dublin back in the 60's, It had been fitted with an aluminium roof, and must have had hundreds of rivets on it, a bit of a Jules Verne air about it.

I passed through Castleblaney around the same time, and saw several abandoned Shamrock bodies lying in the field.

I also recall some saying to me at the time, that the chap who was building the Shamrocks had gone into Lincoln & Nolans on Baggot Street looking to buy the engines for the cars over the counter.

Completely equipped engines would need to be sourced directly from the assembly factory.

Made the Shamrock builder sound a bit naive.

Citroman

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭garyskeepers

Did this ever get finished
    saskiaver wrote: »
    Hello everyone!

I'm leaving a note here to hopefully get in contact with some Shamrock enthusiasts!

We're currently two months into filming a documentary on the Shamrock. It's been years in the making with lots of detective work.
    Piecing together information on the car has been fascinating. However, we're always on the lookout for more stories and information. We'd love to hear from anyone with any connection to the Shamrock. If you worked (or know anyone who worked) at the Castleblaney factory, if you've spotted a Shamrock on your travels or ever owned one, or have a personal story or memory to share with us, we'd love to hear from you.

Please get in touch by emailing me at shamrockcar AT gmail.com or message me here.

Many thanks,
    Saskia

• Registered Users Posts: 3 saskiaver

I'm afraid that it never did. It unfortunately faced a lot of obstacles at the time. You never know though...maybe one day!

Advertisement