Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Shamrock car

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Blue850

Blue850 wrote: »
    I've the reg KZE 157 written down in some notes as belonging to a Shamrock, but I cannot for the life of me remember where I got it from:rolleyes:

I found "KZE 157" ,theres a photo of it in this book. Photo was taken in Castleblayney in the 60's

$(KGrHqF,!ikE3SivZ9EUBOI-bJWDEw~~_35.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MegAnne

561B6ED0BA7C39E56623E9D868C.jpg

1DD960CBA55FB87196AAE6219D2591.jpg

A couple of Shamrock photos found on the net

That is my Dad on the left! William Curtis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Wow! was you're father involved in the shamrock project?

Thank you all for the great information on the Shamrock car.
    My father is the "American" William Curtis who designed this car.
    I was born in Ireland in 1961, the same year the Shamrock Motor Car factory was closed.
    I have much documentation on the Shamrock; i.e. original photographs, newspaper clippings, order forms, sales inquires, drafts of prototypes, costs associated with various parts for the car, accounting ledgers, etc.,etc.,etc.
    I was thrilled to see all the posts about my father's Shamrock.
    Thank you all so very much!

Could you post some of that info? Would be great to get some insider info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭Odelay

Welcome to boards.ie MegAnne, would also love to hear more information about the car and your Dad.

Welcome to boards and the long running Shamrock thread, Would love to see some more info on the Shamrock's history.

Yes, I will be happy to dig through these boxes and share the information with everyone. It may take a few days to organize, and thanks for your interest.

My dad always said the Irish people were the friendliest people in the world, and hard workers to boot. He was disappointed when he had to close the factory down.

Looking forward to adding the long running Shamrock thread. Some of the paperwork is amazing to read. So pleased I found boards.ie today (:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

MegAnne wrote: »
    Yes, I will be happy to dig through these boxes and share the information with everyone.
    You've just made my WEEK:)

You're certainly going to make this thread and shed some light on the shamrock mystery

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Did anyone have a try in that lake for more of the dumped stuff from the factory I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Did anyone have a try in that lake for more of the dumped stuff from the factory I wonder?

Reminds me of that Johnny Cash song: 'I got it one piece at a time, and it didn't cost me a dime......' ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 411 guy

heres a picture (sorry for quality) of one at the jag/daimler club show in dublin circa 1993.
    eze shamrock 3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Reminds me of that Johnny Cash song: 'I got it one piece at a time, and it didn't cost me a dime......' ;)

Song reminds me of the urban legend about the thievery at Fords in Cork, fellas pocketing a part at a time and assembling a car at home.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

According to the Indo motoring supplement a Shamrock will be at the RIAC Show in the RDS next weekend (Feb9th - 10th).

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭richb6987

MegAnne wrote: »
    Yes, I will be happy to dig through these boxes and share the information with everyone. It may take a few days to organize, and thanks for your interest.

My dad always said the Irish people were the friendliest people in the world, and hard workers to boot. He was disappointed when he had to close the factory down.

Looking forward to adding the long running Shamrock thread. Some of the paperwork is amazing to read. So pleased I found boards.ie today (:

MegAnne are you in Dubllin by any small chance. We have one coming to the Classic Car show on Feb 9-10. If you can PM me I can send you a press release recently written about the car and some recent articles. I also have a PDF of an article written in Vintage Scene a while back.

Rich

I found "KZE 157" ,theres a photo of it in this book. Photo was taken in Castleblayney in the 60's

$(KGrHqF,!ikE3SivZ9EUBOI-bJWDEw~~_35.JPG

Paddy Byrne from Drogheda told me this car is still in Castleblayney

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭okistag

I took this photo at the RIAC show at RDS last feb

RIACSHOW2013173watermarkRAIC_zpsb0f27750.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭68deville

i must see if EMI 634 is still in the field in outside Enniscorthy,was there til
    a year ago minus its windscreen:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭Silvera

68deville wrote: »
    i must see if EMI 634 is still in the field in outside Enniscorthy,was there til
    a year ago minus its windscreen:o

So a rare Shamrock was left in a field??

• Advertisement

Silvera wrote: »
    So a rare Shamrock was left in a field??

excellent for feeding cattle.

Paddy Byrne from Drogheda told me this car is still in Castleblayney

KZE 157 is in this book, (old photo of the book was deleted)
    showImg.php?db=images&view=m&imgID=leckey%2313015

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

MercMad wrote: »
    Didn't they toss the remaining unbuilt glass fibre bodies into a local lake ! I remember hearing that, maybe its an urban myth !

In Monaghan? More likely a rural myth. I think the factory was originally intended to be in Tralee, but was in fact sited in Carrickmacross.

KZE 157 is in this book, (old photo of the book was deleted)
    showImg.php?db=images&view=m&imgID=leckey%2313015

That, my friend, is a Delorean.

okistag wrote: »
    I took this photo at the RIAC show at RDS last feb

RIACSHOW2013173watermarkRAIC_zpsb0f27750.jpg

Think 1950s - maybe then you wont see this car as being quite so ugly. Of course I can't comment on performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

feargale wrote: »

I think that is a picture of the cover of the book that the referred to car is pictured

feargale wrote: »

nothin wrong with your eyesight, apart from missing the bit where I said KZE 157 is IN the book:rolleyes:

kasper wrote: »
    I think that is a picture of the cover of the book that the referred to car is pictured

Thank you for your courteous clarification.

Some more press relase photos have appeared on Forgotten Fibreglass

img633.jpg

img635.jpg

img634.jpg

Forgotten Fibreglass site

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Interesting how Shamrock motors are listed there as being in Guildford Surrey.

Advertisement