Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing a car from the UK

Options
  • 16-11-2015 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭

Is this still a good way to buy a car bearing in mind they are so much cheaper over there. Obviously the problem is that the euro is weak against sterling still I wondered if anyone thinks its still a good way to buy?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

All you can do is try and find an equivalent car in Ireland at close to the same price. If you can, great, otherwise you have to look further afield. There's a few cars I track in the classifieds and you just don't find them for sale in Ireland.

Buying a car in the UK has its risks, but a fresh MOT would go some way to lessoning that. And you get a road trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭La Fenetre

Depends on what your after. You might get a fairly priced one here in Ireland in good condition if it was a once a popular model here (if you like old bog standard toyota's you're in luck, and I actually do sometimes). Remember the UK has roughly 12 times the population of Ireland, and therefore will always have a lot more cars to choose from, if what you're looking for is not available here. Also, in my experience, in general (yes there will be exceptions) owners and garages in the UK take car maintenance and care a bit more seriously than the Irish do, and the roads are better, which does help the life of any car.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭gholian

Are you talking about importing a Classic car which would be 20 plus years (25 years really) or a modern vehicle. This country doesn't recognise classic cars only vintage (30 years from date of first restoration).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

No, not a classic car, something like a Quasqui....or a Ford Focus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

should try the Motors section then really

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Also, UK cars aren't that much cheaper when you add delivery/collection costs and a huge chunk of VRT. And then you have to NCT it.

But yeah, this is the classic car forum!

Advertisement