Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What can you know from a reg plate?

• 26-07-2013 10:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48

I know a ZV reg means the car was brought in from England but what else can you learn just from the reg plate?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

It just means over 30 years old and imported (from anywhere).

The digits will tell also you where in Ireland it was reg'd, as each area was allocated a batch of numbers.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056460411

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Loweface wrote: »
    I know a ZV reg means the car was brought in from England but what else can you learn just from the reg plate?

ZV means it's an import not its from England. I'm on a phone so can't link but Google will be your friend. You can find out the year and the county from the reg and a rough idea when it was bought. ZV gives nothing as it hides all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 Loweface

Thanks for the clarification...

Any other nuggets of info?

EDIT: Just gone to the link above. Exacxtly what I was looking for thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Del2005 wrote: »
    ZV means it's an import not its from England. I'm on a phone so can't link but Google will be your friend. You can find out the year and the county from the reg and a rough idea when it was bought. ZV gives nothing as it hides all that.

ZV hides nothing, it will tell you what county it was registered in when imported, and what year it was imported too, if you know your onions.
    Say for example ZV 1702 was a Kerry import in 1992, whereas ZV 42360 would be a 2008 import to Kerry.
    But it is difficult to figure them all out!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

It doesn't even mean import (even if that's the case the majority of the time)

If you had an unregistered vehicle and registered it "late" it could well be a ZV too. Wasn't there that Merc truck?

It's just an option to the "new" format plates for vehicle over 30 years old.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

you could also re-register an over-30 yr old Irish vehicle if you wished

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

I thought ZV plates were an option to all pre '87 imports and not just those over 30 years old, you could choose a year identifier plate or ZV. If you choose a year plate you could change to ZV at a later date. I'm sure I could have had a ZV plate when I imported my 25 year old car 4 years ago.

Am I mistaken? (or was it that once it got to 30 I could change it to ZV if I wanted)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

quenching wrote: »
    I'm sure I could have had a ZV plate when I imported my 25 year old car 4 years ago.

Am I mistaken? (or was it that once it got to 30 I could change it to ZV if I wanted)

Mistaken, the bit in brackets is right.

Advertisement