Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First Timer Classic Car

Options
  • 21-07-2013 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

Looking to invest in a classic...no experience whatsoever but want a convertible, not too pricey and easy to maintain. Have seen a few mg midgets but hear they can be troublesome. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Slipshaney wrote: »
    Looking to invest in a classic...no experience whatsoever but want a convertible, not too pricey and easy to maintain. Have seen a few mg midgets but hear they can be troublesome. Any suggestions?

Ill be first in with the generic answer to this question, Mazda mx5.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Yeah Id second the MX5. If you want a convertible but dont want to be fiddling under the bonnet all the time, steer clear of the obvious British classics.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Slipshaney

thanks for that - i was tempted by the older cars with the cheap tax and insurance...but literally want a car to drive, and not be taking to garage all the time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

If you want no hassle then look for a late 80's early 90's car. As above the MX-5 is an excellent suggestion, you can also consider:

VW Golf MK 1 (later ones are the better ones)
    SAAB 900
    BMW E30 (get one that's been well maintained and serviced)
    Peugeot 205
    Fiat Barchetta
    Alfa GTV Spider

To be honest I'd put a Morris Minor Convertible up there too, very reliable, easy and cheap to fix but they are "slow and steady" so not to everybody's taste.

good list there- thanks for that, i do like the Mazda...but tax and insurance is another ~1k per year I guess

• Advertisement

does the mazda have an automatic/manual roof? or does it depend on the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭oceanman

all the mazda mx5s have the manual roof, except for the very latest ones. if your looking for cheap tax better of sticking to pre 80s cars.

Thanks for that - another question - since the car would only be used in the summer months, do I need to pay tax for a full year? seeing as the car will be idle for 3/4 of the year!? I know there was a change in legislation recently

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

thanks for that - i was tempted by the older cars with the cheap tax and insurance...but literally want a car to drive, and not be taking to garage all the time...

ok, so you want a reliable cheap to run, cheap to insure and cheap to tax classic then............a hard spot to hit.........but how about this then.......

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-beat-convertible/5317473

thanks for that - i do like the look of the mazda mx5 though...though i know the tax/insurance would be hefty compared to the honda

• Advertisement

thanks for that - i do like the look of the mazda mx5 though...though i know the tax/insurance would be hefty compared to the honda

yeah, thats why I recommended the honda to you....and they are a little bit rare now, also consider a suzuki cappuccino

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTVXZvjOc5-2WjA1D_UkkwQEDRVAgj7rCkWlTjW1vAyh6PxIDFzFA

suzuki-cappuccino-03.jpg

re; the tax on the mx-5, no real issue if you just tax it for 3 or 6 months of the year for the summer

thanks for that - would i need to declare if off the road for rest of year? and i guess i would have to insurance for 12 months

yeah, just declare it off the road.......no hassles.

if you get classic insurance, it'll be cheap anyways - and no big massive expence having it insured all year round.

thats a good point - could do the same with insurance? i.e. get it for only 6 months per year...

thats a good point - could do the same with insurance? i.e. get it for only 6 months per year...

no, you can only insure it for 12 months, but it's relatively cheap for a classic policy, in comparison to a normal policy.

true - id have to go for something 30 years plus so...

true - id have to go for something 30 years plus so...

not necessarily, a lot of cars can be insured as classics from 20 years old onwards

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

MidlandsM wrote: »
    not necessarily, a lot of cars can be insured as classics from 20 years old onwards

whats the criteria for a car becoming eligible for classic tax/ins?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

You can cancel a policy after 6 months and get the balance back minus a fee, or just tell the insurance company it's off the road for a few months and suspend the insurance for that length of time, although as other posters have said classic car insurance is cheap.

Thanks again. If I went for an mx5, 91 or 92, would that qualify for classic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Thanks again. If I went for an mx5, 91 or 92, would that qualify for classic?

Up to the insurer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

The insurance will be useful in the off the road months if it's stolen or catches fire (touches wood)

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

just called an insurance company there, and they said the minimum age the car can be is 25 years

Any other crowds do it for 20 years?

first ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

MidlandsM wrote: »
    first ireland

They told me they only cover classic cars on classic policies, not old Japanese cars. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1 fezzer

Give Carole Nash a call. have my 92 mx5 import on a classic policy with them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

In case it was missed, you'll need a regular policy on a second car to get a classic policy.

Advertisement