Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another look up request

Options
  • 02-04-2020 10:11am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I wonder if someone could check Find My Past for a death in their British India Office Deaths & Burials collection?

It's for Elizabeth Monks, born and died 1878 in Deesa, Bombay.

If it's not just an index I'm wondering if it might mention the parents.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I'll send you the image.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Leeside

The Baptism record gives more a bit more info than the Death record. DOB was 16 Nov 1877. Parents: Francis and Margaret (maiden name not included). Baptism date was 28 Nov.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Thanks Leeside.

I had the baptism from quite a while back but till now I had missed the death for some reason.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Liamo57

She died in Sept. aged 10 months. Her father, it loks to me as Captain Monks, 2nd Artillery Regiment.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Yes, that's her father - he died in Karachi in 1889.

I've actually had some major breakthroughs with this family today.

Firstly, the record of the his daughters early demise which, as I say, I had missed before now.

Then I found his sons military record, meaning I can now account for all his children - one born in Fermoy and the other five in India.

But lastly, and a brick wall for some considerable time, following his death his wife returned to Ireland where she married a man I had always believed to be John Leary but is in fact Deary.

I have now identified her two children from this second marriage and both her own and her husbands deaths, things that had eluded me for too long.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
Advertisement