Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glorney Gilbert International 2015

• 08-07-2015 3:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82 ✭✭

July 19th - 23rd
    see glorneycupchess.org for news, teams, live games and archives
    Twitter @GlorneyGilbert #GlorneyChess

Which of the four cups will Ireland win?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

I think we've a good chance in them all. Go Ireland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82 ✭✭2bts

3 days to go.
    Details and all 40 boards live (2 rounds / day Mon, Tue and Wed) on glorneycupchess[dot]org
    Follow the event on Twitter @GlorneyGilbert #GlorneyChess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

40 live boards! It's a pity a couple couldn't have been appropriated for the Irish Championship :)

Am I alone in thinking that there's very little justification in the ICU spending such a significant chunk of their budget every year on this event? I'm sure it's a great experience for the players and coaches involved but what benefit does it bring to rank and file ICU member? If the aim is to improve the standard of junior play then surely there are far more effective and efficient ways to do so than picking a handful of youngsters to play a team competition against their peers across the Irish sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭pawntof4

40 live boards! It's a pity a couple couldn't have been appropriated for the Irish Championship :)

Am I alone in thinking that there's very little justification in the ICU spending such a significant chunk of their budget every year on this event?
    A very interesting question. How much do you think should be spent?
    I'm sure it's a great experience for the players and coaches involved but what benefit does it bring to rank and file ICU member?

This is the way it is a lot of organisations not just the ICU. The majority of my ICU sub gets spent on the top kids and players to represent Ireland in international events.
    If the aim is to improve the standard of junior play then surely there are far more effective and efficient ways to do so than picking a handful of youngsters to play a team competition against their peers across the Irish sea.

Are you saying we shouldn't send out top kids to international events?

pawntof4 wrote: »
    A very interesting question. How much do you think should be spent?

On the Glorney etc.? Nothing
    On junior chess in general? It's very hard to tell since the ICU is very secretive when it comes to budgeting and accounting information. They could be spending too little :pac:
    All I know is that a significant chunk of the spending on junior chess goes towards these events and the benefits of spending such a large amount are not readily apparent. If we were to pull out of the Glorney going forward then it would free up a lot of money for other more inclusive and more productive initiatives to improve chess in Ireland.
    Are you saying we shouldn't send out top kids to international events?
    As far as I know when we send kids to the top international events (those that don't just exist so we can feel good about getting one over on England/Scotland/Wales) they travel largely on their own coin. Perhaps more should be spent on supporting those players instead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

As far as I know when we send kids to the top international events (those that don't just exist so we can feel good about getting one over on England/Scotland/Wales) they travel largely on their own coin. Perhaps more should be spent on supporting those players instead?

On this point, I think the cost of sending 20 juniors (and their parents) to various international events would be far, far more expensive than the Glorney Gilbert competition. That's why the ICU doesn't cover these costs.

I think there are many benefits to having the Glorney Gilbert. If you're looking at value for money:
    • It's centralised and allows a good group rate.
    • The flights - if there are any - tend to be cheap.
    • All the juniors are together in a very positive atmosphere.
    • The coaching work leading up to and during the tournament is top notch.
    • The tournament itself gives a great focus to the training and really introduces the importance of preparation.

Certainly in recent years the competition for places has been huge and I think we're seeing a real rise in the number of very young, talented players. I don't think the Glorney itself should get all the credit there - Maura Osbourne for instance has done a great job running her club - but it certainly helps to have something like the Glorney to work towards.

I've only been to the competition once - last year in Scotland - but I thought it was excellently run and I'm looking forward to supporting and helping out at this one.

It's very hard to tell since the ICU is very secretive when it comes to budgeting and accounting information.
    but they published their accounts... they are on the ICU website
    If we were to pull out of the Glorney going forward then it would free up a lot of money for other more inclusive and more productive initiatives to improve chess in Ireland.

What type of initiatives did you have in mind?

On this point, I think the cost of sending 20 juniors (and their parents) to various international events would be far, far more expensive than the Glorney Gilbert competition.

There's another difference in that players competing in the likes of the World Juniors get to test themselves against elite international competitors. Whereas in most cases in the Glorney etc. the Irish players will outrate their opponents. The best way to improve is to step outside your comfort zone.

I think there are many benefits to having the Glorney Gilbert. If you're looking at value for money:
    • It's centralised and allows a good group rate.
    • The flights - if there are any - tend to be cheap.
    • All the juniors are together in a very positive atmosphere.

I've only been to the competition once - last year in Scotland - but I thought it was excellently run and I'm looking forward to supporting and helping out at this one.

No doubt it's a wonderful experience for all involved. Who wouldn't want to jet off with their mates for a few days and play chess? Doesn't mean the ICU membership should be bankrolling it when it only benefits a select few.
    [*]The coaching work leading up to and during the tournament is top notch.
    [*]The tournament itself gives a great focus to the training and really introduces the importance of preparation.

These types of training camps could, and should, exist independently of the Glorney competition. In fact, the ICU collects money from parents for this training, and makes a profit too it seems.
    but they published their accounts... they are on the ICU website
    Ah, so they are. Deep in the bowels. They make interesting reading too.
    What type of initiatives did you have in mind?
    Lectures, training sessions, simuls etc. You know, the kind of things good chess clubs already do, but on a bigger scale. Find a top player, in Ireland or elsewhere, set him up in a good venue for a day or two, charge people a reasonable fee for some quality time. The ICU might not even have to take much of a hit to the pocket.

There's another difference in that players competing in the likes of the World Juniors get to test themselves against elite international competitors. Whereas in most cases in the Glorney etc. the Irish players will outrate their opponents. The best way to improve is to step outside your comfort zone.

Well we haven't got our name on the trophies very often so I'm not convinced that it's too low a standard for us. I take your point about World's but it's got to be much more expensive. You'd either have to give a lot more money from the ICU or else cut the number of juniors substantially. Of course it would help if the ICU could get some serious sponsorship. Hopefully if the economy continues to recover, this will be a real possibility.

No doubt it's a wonderful experience for all involved. Who wouldn't want to jet off with their mates for a few days and play chess? Doesn't mean the ICU membership should be bankrolling it when it only benefits a select few.

Well the select few are the top (ish) 20 Juniors in Ireland. That's a decent number of kids. They've worked hard to get to their level and are the best for their age group. For all the reasons that I stated above, I think it's a good-value tournament that helps develop serious talent. I absolutely agree that the ICU shouldn't necessarily have to fund it and if there are alternative ways to develop chess, they should be considered. Most sports however will spend money on the top youth and senior internationals and I think that's a very legitimate way to spend membership money. Just to clarify - I wasn't sure if you were implying such - I went to support and help out without taking any money from the ICU.

These types of training camps could, and should, exist independently of the Glorney competition. In fact, the ICU collects money from parents for this training, and makes a profit too it seems.

Agreed. The more excellent coaching, the better. The standard of chess in primary schools around Dublin (where I am based) seems to have sky-rocketed as a result of the high standard of training on offer. As for the ICU training finances, I know nothing about them so can't comment but it would be surprising to me if a profit was being made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Am I alone in thinking that there's very little justification in the ICU spending such a significant chunk of their budget every year on this event?
    I don't think it's all that expensive except in the one year in four we host it.

It is a lot of money in terms of the ICU budget, but I think that says more about the size of the ICU budget than the value of the Glorney.

I'm sure there are more effective ways to spend the money we have on growing chess in Ireland, but I think they would require a lot of vision and energy - they're not easy.

• Advertisement

mikhail wrote: »
    I think they would require a lot of vision and energy - they're not easy.

I completely agree with you it's not easy at all. IMHO the ICU seems to get criticized no matter what they do. I'm not saying they are perfect and I didn't think the Galway debacle was handled particularly well but I think it's unfair to beat them up over the Glorney. It's very easy to sit on the sideline and lob stones when you aren't involved yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82 ✭✭2bts

2 days to go.

Any views on the relative team strengths?
    On paper, ENG and IRL look well matched in all 4 cups for a change.

So how will Ireland do?
    Will the Glorney team, with the only FM in the event, prevail for the first time since 1963
    Or the Gilbert, with three strong veterans, repeat a feat only once before achieved back in 1978.
    Can the Robinson, with four of the 2013 Stokes winners, win it for the first time.
    Or will the Stokes make it 2 in 3 years?

After England's clean sweep last year, it would be good to win at least one, if not the lot!

No pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭sinbad68

Funny to read this thread and found statements I made a couple years ago on a different blog , glorney is not a great experience for some of the kids who end up playing on boards where most of their opponents (scotland or wales) are hundreds of point lower than them. Scarry cup format would be ideal for this type of tournament, larger fields and you can't play a player from your federation and if you do well , you play stronger opponents , instead of getting stuck on lower boards playing weak players.sending juniors to play in british junior championship would be a better alternative than glorney.

mikhail wrote: »
    I don't think it's all that expensive except in the one year in four we host it.

It is a lot of money in terms of the ICU budget, but I think that says more about the size of the ICU budget than the value of the Glorney. [

I don't think it's right that the single largest expense on the ICU budget is something that benefits only 2% of ICU players. Compare what the ICU spends on the Irish Championships, or on Congess support. They're happy to actively antagonize tournament organizers to the point of cancellations over €300 grants (which is about what they spend on the nifty matching t-shirts for the kids competing in the Glorney), yet people are reluctant to even have a discussion on the merits of spending so much on one exclusive junior tournament? Who are you afraid of upsetting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

I don't think it's right that the single largest expense on the ICU budget is something that benefits only 2% of ICU players. Compare what the ICU spends on the Irish Championships, or on Congess support. They're happy to actively antagonize tournament organizers to the point of cancellations over €300 grants (which is about what they spend on the nifty matching t-shirts for the kids competing in the Glorney), yet people are reluctant to even have a discussion on the merits of spending so much on one exclusive junior tournament? Who are you afraid of upsetting?

The ICU should set the budget as a % based budget with maximums. For example put 10% of the budget towards Glorney hosting to a max of 1k.

That way if membership numbers are low the amount is lowered.

A junior tournament is important, it does encourage and promote younger players who are a long term benefit to the ICU. Spending 1k a year on 24 different juniors (the 4 teams) a year has a better pay off than spending 3k a year on the same 20 adults each year (Irish Championships).

Adults tend to already be playing and it has become a common past time for them. Having said that, the ICU should only have to provide an arbiter, venue and sets/clocks. If we want electronic sets, that should be up to the Glorney organisation to provide this, unless the ICU are getting them for a benefit to Irish Chess.

We can debate the merits another time.

This evening was a great event with the opening of the tournament being attended by the ICU's patron, President Michael D Higgins. I've attached a few photos in case any spectators want to keep in touch with the competition.

Best of luck to Team Ireland tomorrow!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

All games are showing live here (with links to the side for the other three sections)

Ireland 2-0 up in the Robinson (u-14s) already. 1-0 down in the Stokes. Don't know where our best chance is - possibly the Robinson, which is a continuation of the Stokes-winning team from two years ago.

First results coming in now so.

Ireland v Scotland and England v Wales in all games.

Glorney won 3½-1½. Conor O'Donnell's was a nice game. 9. Bf8 (as opposed to Bxf8) isn't a move you see too often! England won 3½-1½ as wlel.

Gilbert are 1-1, with the last game B+2 v N, which should be a win for us, though time is a factor. Certainly can't lose, so guaranteed 1½ there; probably a 2-1 win. England won 3-0.

A great start for the Robinson; 5½-½ v Wales. England have already dropped 1 point, and there's a draw to come on another board, so we should have a 1 point lead already.

The Stokes lost 3½-2½, but England only beat Scotland 3½-2½ too, so could be an open section.

Round 2 at 2:30 I think.

Let slip the win in the Gilbert - 65. f6?? NxP! 66. KxN and stalemate.

The photo album of the event will be posted here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/eclipsechaser/sets/72157655705006298

I'll update as we go along.

• Advertisement

It was a draw anyways once the knight sacs for the f pawn. Wrong coloured bishop. Pretty unlucky. Henri Li got a nice mate with seconds left. Robinson team looking good for the title.

You're right - 63. Ke6 was the drawing blunder; Kg6 won. Surprised at 62. Kf5 over the obvious-looking BxN.

Time trouble didn't help, even though there's 30 second increments.

Very difficult to win those, a good game nonetheless.

Yup. I seem to recall a similar (league) game between two higher-rated players which you and I were in attendance at where a very similar blunder was made!

Ireland v Scotland and England v Wales are the afternoon's games.

cdeb wrote: »
    Yup. I seem to recall a similar (league) game between two higher-rated players which you and I were in attendance at where a very similar blunder was made!

On yeah, good memory!

Tomorrow (Ireland v England) will tell a lot, but it's looking good so far in the Robinson.

England won 4-2 this morning - so we have 1½ of a lead after that.

So far, England are 2½-1½ up against Wales; they have a probably decisive attack on one board and the other board isn't working. Ireland, meanwhile, are 3½-½ up against Scotland, we look to be taking a draw on one of the other boards and are about to go two rooks for a piece up on the other board.

So potentially 4½ for England and 5 for us - a 2 point lead ahead of the crunch game tomorrow.

Looks like a 3½-2½ defeat in the Stokes, but England v Wales is also very tight (currently 2½-2½), so we're still well in that.

Other two sections not quite as far on in the afternoon's games.

So we won the easy win in the Robinson, and it looks like the other game has been agreed a draw - even with a pawn on h7 about to queen for white! I presume a draw was agreed earlier, and the board is recording the players' analysis of what would have happened if Ross had gotten too ambitious and gone for the win. So a 5-1 win.

And Wales have relieved the pressure they were under to a large extend on board 3, and that game is far from over now. If they could get a draw there, we'd have a 2½ point lead.

I can only presume Board 4 in the Stokes is recorded incorrectly, as 55. Kb7 ½-½ is highly unlikely! So Ireland 5, Wales 5½, Scotland 6 and England 7½.

We seem to have won 3-0 in the Gilbert, though I don't see how the bottom board is a win. It was recorded as a draw first, and then changed - but a draw looks more likely (assuming we didn't even lose on time). Also, I think white missed 36. Nf5 Qh2 37. Ne7+, picking up the exchange - instead playing Qf3 which allows black escape.

• Advertisement

We seem to have won 3-0 in the Gilbert, though I don't see how the bottom board is a win. It was recorded as a draw first, and then changed - but a draw looks more likely (assuming we didn't even lose on time). Also, I think white missed 36. Nf5 Qh2 37. Ne7+, picking up the exchange - instead playing Qf3 which allows black escape.

That Gilbert game was a draw.

Some turnaround in the Glorney. Tom O'Gorman, Alex Byrne and Conor Maher were all in trouble at some stage of their matches. 2.5/3 is a great haul considering. We're now leading England by half a point. Big match against them tomorrow morning!

So after round 2 -

Glorney
    Ireland 7
    England 6½
    Wales 3½
    Scotland 3

Gilbert
    England 5
    Ireland 4
    Wales 2½
    Scotland ½

Robinson
    Ireland 10½
    England 8
    Scotland 3
    Wales 2½

Stokes
    England 7½
    Scotland 6
    Wales 5½
    Ireland 5

Obviously the games against England are huge - they're the holders in each section. And given how the English team improved in the second round of games last year, maybe the Robinson even need to win their game to have a hope of taking the title.

How could result of glorney competition be regarded as valid when an irish federation player is playing for wales ?!!. Players are fixed to their boards regardless of performance and instead of playing 6 different players to give them a better experience, end up playing the same player twice in the tournament .If they had a swiss system barring same federation players playing each other , winners would get rewarded in the next round , also northern ireland could have sent a few kids and not be left out in the cold .

The location of competition is puzzling , instead of a seaside location or a town where kids could go between or after games sightseeing or shopping , They are in a tiny town void of attractions and kids arrival has doubled the population of the town !.

The Irish player isn't playing for Wales - they're scratching board 5, and the Irish guy is subbing in to give the other board 5s a game. But even if the Irish guy win, Wales lose.

The venue is superb. There's an hour or so between rounds; there's no real time to go sightseeing anyway. The hotel has plenty of facilities. Enfield has shops.

sinbad68 wrote: »
    How could result of glorney competition be regarded as valid when an irish federation player is playing for wales ?!!. Players are fixed to their boards regardless of performance and instead of playing 6 different players to give them a better experience, end up playing the same player twice in the tournament .If they had a swiss system barring same federation players playing each other , winners would get rewarded in the next round , also northern ireland could have sent a few kids and not be left out in the cold .

The location of competition is puzzling , instead of a seaside location or a town where kids could go between or after games sightseeing or shopping , They are in a tiny town void of attractions and kids arrival has doubled the population of the town !.

Do you ever have anything positive to say about people who volunteer their free time to organise junior chess in Ireland?

Great quick-fire win from Henry Li on board 1 of the Robinson - just the start needed! It helped that yer man seemed to completely overestimate a queen sac, but 1-0 up already.

• Advertisement

Nice end to board 4 in the Robinson, and we drew on board 5 too - now Ireland 2½-½ England.

Guaranteed to be in the lead at the turn; another couple of points here would be huge now. We're a pawn up on 3 and have a nice position on 6 (I think 22. ... a5 is the only way to save the knight, but then 23. Qd7+ and 24. a3 looks to be a strong continuation)

Edit - we're black, not white, on 6 - oops! I missed 22. ... Rf3, but I think 23. Bh6 could be very strong now.

3½-½ now; Ross wins.

23. Bh6 maybe isn't as dangerous as I thought as BxB is with check. And after RxB, there's a queen check and fork to pick up the rook. Though I think white can now play d7+ and force the win of black's rook, at the cost of that big pawn though. No idea what's going on there!

4-1 now; a draw in that game.

Something strange going on in the last game - both sides seem to be ignoring a hanging knight on e2. The board hasn't been working properly most of the game. England have gone in for two rooks v queen, but the two bishops look good for us.

Even 4-2 means a 4½ point lead at the half-way mark.

Trivial win in the last game now - Q, B+3 v R+3.

5-1 win! Incredible stuff.

Means we're 6½ points clear and have one hand on the trophy. We could even lose 6-0 to England in the return and it's still in our hands.

2.5-2.5 against England in the Glorney. Alex Byrne did very well to hold on from a very tough opening. Scott Mulligan produced an important win after a tough day yesterday. Half a point ahead at the half-way point!

• Advertisement

We drew in the Stokes and the Gilbert as well - so unbeaten in four matches against England, which is an excellent achievement.

When did we last win the Glorney or Robinson, does anyone know? I suspect England's preparation will see them home in the Glorney, but it'd be a major disappointment if we didn't win the Robinson from here.

Ireland v Scotland and England v Wales for round 4.

Tables after round 3 -

Glorney
    Ireland 9½
    England 9
    Scotland 6½
    Wales 5

Gilbert
    England 6½
    Ireland 5½
    Wales 4
    Scotland 2

Robinson
    Ireland 15½
    England 9
    Wales 7½
    Scotland 4

Stokes
    England 10½
    Wales 9½
    Ireland 8
    Scotland 8

The Irish player isn't playing for Wales - they're scratching board 5, and the Irish guy is subbing in to give the other board 5s a game. But even if the Irish guy win, Wales lose.

Glorney has a website, why this info was not announced there, are we suppose to guess about this arrangement ?
    The venue is superb. There's an hour or so between rounds; there's no real time to go sightseeing anyway. The hotel has plenty of facilities. Enfield has shops.

There is time before and after the games and as for between games, many games end early, with sterling being so strong against euro, uk visitors could be interested in buying stuff here and as for shops I meant electronic stuff, etc and was not talking about buying a can of coke and a Mars bar.
    Do you ever have anything positive to say about people who volunteer their free time to organise junior chess in Ireland?

The answer to your question is, YES ! .

Great quick-fire win from Henry Li on board 1 of the Robinson - just the start needed! It helped that yer man seemed to completely overestimate a queen sac, but 1-0 up already.

You wouldn't get a 1200 rated player here doing that silly queen sac ,let alone a 1800 fide rated , perhaps he was not well or could it be, he heard it's becoming fashionable here to throw games and decided to do in Rome as Romans do ?. cdeb, keep up your tweets on boards.ie .:)

Glorney has a website, why this info was not announced there, are we suppose to guess about this arrangement ?
    You could (a) use a bit of common sense, (b) compare the Welsh squad listed on the website to the team playing and realise one of them is missing or (c) look at the results section where the Irish sub is described as a filler - in any event, fairly obvious what's happened really. I'm surprised you, with your magical powers of deduction, are having trouble with it!
    There is time before and after the games and as for between games, many games end early, with sterling being so strong against euro, uk visitors could be interested in buying stuff here and as for shops I meant electronic stuff, etc and was not talking about buying a can of coke and a Mars bar.
    I think they can manage for a couple of days without buying some new electronic gadget to be quite honest. Between games is time for a bit of lunch. There's not much time before games; they start at 9am.

There's plenty to keep people occupied in the venue. I spoke to some people at the venue on Sunday and they all said it was excellent.

Slip up in the Robinson; 3-3 with Scotland. England only take 4½ off Wales - so the gap down to 5 points.

England re-take the lead in the Glorney - though there's also a European youth team championship on at the moment, and the four players there would all get on the Glorney team.

There's one game ongoing in the Gilbert - move 115 of an opposite coloured bishop ending. It should be a draw (England v Wales), which means we'd be joint top with England there.

And another strange day in the Stokes, as we win 4-2 and England lose 3½-2½. 1 point separates the top three now.

You could (a) use a bit of common sense, (b) compare the Welsh squad listed on the website to the team playing and realise one of them is missing or (c) look at the results section where the Irish sub is described as a filler - in any event, fairly obvious what's happened really. I'm surprised you, with your magical powers of deduction, are having trouble with it!

I did my deductions, just highlighting lack of info and clarity by organisers. What gave you the idea I had magical powers :confused:, I don't even have a flying carpet :(.
    I think they can manage for a couple of days without buying some new electronic gadget to be quite honest. Between games is time for a bit of lunch. There's not much time before games; they start at 9am.

Visitors arrived a day before the competition and leaving a day after it ends, it would be nice to leave the venue and stroll into a town or on a beach rather than staring into farm fields and watch cars whizzing past, going somewhere more interesting.

Visitors arrived a day before the competition and leaving a day after it ends, it would be nice to leave the venue and stroll into a town or on a beach rather than staring into farm fields and watch cars whizzing past, going somewhere more interesting.
    And a beach or a shop is the only thing of interest in the world?

Never mind that you're a short drive away from the Hill of Tara or Newgrange or Tayto Park? Or that there's 120 acres of gardens attached to the hotel to walk through?

Sorry, you sound like you're moaning for the sake of it, without really understanding what you're talking about.

The venue is grand.

Ireland 3-2 up against Wales at the moment. Not sure what's happened in the last game - clocks have gone, but would have thought black (us) had winning chances after Rb4.

England 2½-1½ up against Scotland. One board is trivially lost (R+3 v R) They're a piece for pawn down in the other.

So if all the remaining games go against us (and they won't), we'll have a 3½ point lead going into the last round, and a 4½-1½ defeat would seal the title.

Every one point swing in the last three games is a half point less we need against England.

Looks pretty much in the bag (jinx!!)

Looks like both Ireland and England will win 2½-½ in the Gilbert - so a straight head-to-head for the title there.

Out of it in the Stokes after a 4½-1½ defeat. England won 4-2; Wales are a half point ahead going into the last round.

Great win in the Glorney though - 4½-½ against Wales. England won 4-1 and we're level on points going into the last round.

England lose 2½-3½ against Scotland.

So they're on 16 and we're on 22½ with one game still going.

So Ireland win the Robinson!

Glorney:
    Both Ireland and England are on 17 points each headed into the final round against each other. Their previous result was 2.5-2.5 so it could come down to 2nd tie-break if they draw again. I don't know what the rules are for 2nd tie-break.

Apparently the last time we won was in 1963...

This could be a good day!

Gilbert:
    Both Ireland and England are on level points and are about to face off against each other. Their previous result was 2.5-2.5 so it could come down to 2nd tie-break if they draw again!

Robinson:
    Ireland are exactly 6 points ahead of England. Therefore a draw will win the Robinson for them. A 6-0 loss to England would leave them on level points but losing on head to head tie-break.

Stokes:
    Bad morning for Ireland as they went down to Wales. It's been a very tight competition but a win here now looks extremely unlikely.

Great event. This is going to be an exciting finish no matter what way it goes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

Glorney:
    Both Ireland and England are on 17 points each headed into the final round against each other. Their previous result was 2.5-2.5 so it could come down to 2nd tie-break if they draw again. I don't know what the rules are for 2nd tie-break.

Apparently the last time we won was in 1963...

This could be a good day!

Gilbert:
    Both Ireland and England are on level points and are about to face off against each other. Their previous result was 2.5-2.5 so it could come down to 2nd tie-break if they draw again!

Robinson:
    Ireland are exactly 6 points ahead of England. Therefore a draw will win the Robinson for them. A 6-0 loss to England would leave them on level points but losing on head to head tie-break.

Stokes:
    Bad morning for Ireland as they went down to Wales. It's been a very tight competition but a win here now looks extremely unlikely.

Great event. This is going to be an exciting finish no matter what way it goes!

Good luck to all the teams. It might be good to finally have some news from Irish Chess that isn't a controversy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement