Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Senior Championships 2015

Options
  • 14-04-2015 7:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

From Irishchessunion.net...........

Irish Senior Championships 2015
    Academy Plaza Hotel, Dublin
    4th – 12th July

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭Mustafa Chess

Is it still going ahead then?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

Details of the Irish Championships have been released
    This year's Irish Senior Chess Championships and related weekend events will take place in the Academy Plaza Hotel, in Findlater Place, Dublin, just off O Connell Street in the heart of Dublin City Centre.

The Irish Women's Chess Championships will be run later in the year as a "stand alone" event to encourage greater levels of participation in it.

A team based event (for the Scarry Cup) will take place over the weekend of Friday 10th to Sunday 12th of July instead of the Open weekender that normally takes place during the second weekend of July.

The main reason for running a team event at this time is to afford our junior international teams for this year's Glorney, Gilbert, Robinson and Stokes Cup competitions an opportunity to participate in a team based event to assist them in their preparations for competing against the English, Scottish and Welsh junior international teams. These junior international events are being hosted by Ireland this year and take place in the Johnstown House, Hotel and Spa in Enfield, Co Meath with play commencing on Monday 20th July 2015. The Scarry Cup competition will be FIDE rated and groups of players and/or clubs can enter entire teams or enter individually with the tournament controller allocating individual players to teams.

Click HERE for further details

I'll hold my tongue for now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

Does anyone know why the link for the event doesn't mention anything about permitting last years Irish Women's Champion, Irish Open Champion, etc into the Senior Championships? Or mention that this is a possibility for the other events?

It would be a good selling point for people to compete

The ICU even mentioned it in their summary of the AGM

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭sinbad68

@reunion . Rumour has it, that the ICU & the tournament organisers have finally realized what a daft idea is, to let a bunch of under-qualified players into the senior section that they are not advertising it and will try to ignore the related motion ! .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

sinbad68 wrote: »
    @reunion . Rumour has it, that the ICU & the tournament organisers have finally realized what a daft idea is, to let a bunch of under-qualified players into the senior section that they are not advertising it and will try to ignore the related motion ! .
    I can never understand this attitude. There are loads of examples of weaker players entering the Senior Championships without the sky falling. The top guys wind up playing each other anyway, the weaker players do perfectly respectably, and the only people who suffer are those near the cutoff who avoid playing down at all costs to protect their ratings.

• Advertisement

Unanimous vote in favour with a former Irish Champion and multiple Irish Senior players present. Not a daft idea at all, probably just not being publicised as it should be.

Let's not forget that the ICU (and others) can nominate people. Just as a piece of advertising (the flyer), it says open to players above a certain rating but it is also open to other players at the discretion of the ICU. It should say that otherwise some entrants might be unaware of this new ruling and might not participate.

mikhail wrote: »
    I can never understand this attitude. There are loads of examples of weaker players entering the Senior Championships without the sky falling. The top guys wind up playing each other anyway, the weaker players do perfectly respectably, and the only people who suffer are those near the cutoff who avoid playing down at all costs to protect their ratings.

It doesn't matter about what the attitude is, it was passed at an AGM and can't be changed unless an AGM changes it.

Also one could take any number of tournaments and provide examples of players performing better than higher rated opponents. I think people are misjudging the cost and time that is required to be set aside to complete in an Irish Championships. Not to mention the daily preparation (if not loads of preparation beforehand).

Even when the competition was an open tournament, a 1654 outperformed a significant amount of higher rated opponents (http://www.icu.ie/articles/188#x).

Lower rated players only play if they believe they can perform at a higher performance than their rating states

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭2bts

Compensating Opponents

The opponents of any player who gained a bonus are deemed to have played an underrated player. Therefore the tournament is re-rated from scratch with one difference: instead of starting with their pre-tournament ratings, any players who received a bonus start with their post-tournament ratings (including bonuses) from the initial calculation.

When the tournament is re-rated, a player whose opponents included those receiving bonuses loses less (or gains more) rating points than in the initial calculation due to the increase of those opponents' pre-tournament ratings.

reunion wrote: »
    It doesn't matter about what the attitude is, it was passed at an AGM and can't be changed unless an AGM changes it.
    I agree. I was commenting on what Sinbad claims is motivation to undermine a recent decision at an AGM.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭Mustafa Chess

And most of the nonsense motions from that AGM will be discarded and in future that kind of baloney will not be allowed to occur. Limit of motions, to at most a handful in future. There will be an EGM to nullify 95 percent of the motions from the AGM I think. The Irish championships is supposed to have standards and not be subject to the lunatic notions of people who have no business trying to ruin the tournament because of their own ignorance. Allowing some leeway for players 1800 plus (Fide or ICU) is fine but the other stupid suggestions were just that, dumb! <mod snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

The Irish championships is supposed to have standards and not be subject to the lunatic notions of people who have no business trying to ruin the tournament because of their own ignorance.

I couldn't agree more.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

And most of the nonsense motions from that AGM will be discarded
    Are you familiar with the concept of an AGM and democratic voting?

Also, with my mod hat on, please keep your posts more civil than they have been. We don't welcome drivel like -
    *mod snip*
    If you have a valid counter-argument, make it. But attack the post, not the poster.

If you both had objections, you should bring that up at an AGM. There has been no notice of an EGM so the ICU can't remove this requirement.

Like I said there was support from the incoming executive and former champions. Nobody was against it. The EGM to be held were for the motions not discussed or voted on at the meeting, these motions were not one of them.

And most of the nonsense motions from that AGM will be discarded...
    Really? The next AGM should be fun, in the I am once again not attending this impotent ****storm sense of the word.

Oh, and if the line cdeb quoted was directed at me, it's rudeness is only matched by its inaccuracy.

mikhail wrote: »
    Really? The next AGM should be fun, in the I am once again not attending this impotent ****storm sense of the word.

Oh, and if the line cdeb quoted was directed at me, it's rudeness is only matched by its inaccuracy.

AGMs tend to be full of crap. The last few years it was due to cheating and assault on a child. This year it's the executive's own mistakes.

The line cdeb quoted was from Mustafa which has since been snipped.

AGMs tend to be full of crap. The last few years it was due to cheating and assault on a child. This year it's the executive's own mistakes.
    I wouldn't mind if they didn't take longer than childbirth.
    The line cdeb quoted was from Mustafa which has since been snipped.
    I understood, and meant the reply for Mustafa. Sorry if I was unclear.

List of Irish Championships 2015 Entries
    ICU Site wrote:
    So a speculative list for this year is here:
    Stephen Brady
    Phillip Short
    John Redmond
    Gerry Mac Elligot
    Bernard Palmer

Senior
    David Fitzsimons
    Colm Daly
    Conor O Donnell
    Tim Harding
    Gerard O’Connell
    Anthony Fox
    Martin Crichton
    Gary O’Grady
    John P.A. Kennedy
    Tom O’Gorman
    Henry Li

Seems like Sam Collins won't be attending the Irish Championships.

I'm not sure why they are doing such a poor job with posts on the Irish Chess Union's official site - icu.ie.

The speculative list seems utterly pointless and stupid - except to try to make the 11 official numbers seems better than the 30 and 21 in previous years. I do hope that number increases, especially with the prize pool on offer. Maybe it might be a sign of disagreement with the executive's actions this year? Surely everyone rated above 1850 is speculative until they say they aren't attending?

They have omitted (even in the flyer) that the Irish Veteran's Champion, Irish Women's Champion, provincial champions and nominees from the ICU executive and the Junior Officer (to just name a few) also qualify regardless of their rating.

Also that the time control for each player has changed to a mandated time control passed at the AGM.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Retd.LoyolaCpt

I wouldn't play an ICU tournament that requires taking 5 days off work when (given the last few tournaments; NCC, Galway, Ennis etc) there's no guarantee that that tournament will:

A) Go ahead with the safety of ICU members in "good standing" in mind; rather than allowing "everyone" under false notions that this is "fair" or somehow forced under an unwritten law - when in fact it is dangerous and opens the ICU up to accusations of negligence in the event of another incident.

B) Go ahead without several threats of cancellation from the ICU themselves.

C) Be rated by the ICU

D) Be FIDE rated

I wouldn't play an ICU tournament that requires taking 5 days off work when (given the last few tournaments; NCC, Galway, Ennis etc) there's no guarantee that that tournament will:

A) Go ahead with the safety of ICU members in "good standing" in mind; rather than allowing "everyone" under false notions that this is "fair" or somehow forced under an unwritten law - when in fact it is dangerous and opens the ICU up to accusations of negligence in the event of another incident.

B) Go ahead without several threats of cancellation from the ICU themselves.

C) Be rated by the ICU

D) Be FIDE rated

I think A is unjustified. The member isn't suspended so can't and shouldn't be excluded from the event. The ratings issues are very valid points.

I hope they address those concerns soon... the event starts on Saturday!

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭sinbad68

List of Irish Championships 2015 Entries

Seems like Sam Collins won't be attending the Irish Championships.

I'm not sure why they are doing such a poor job with posts on the Irish Chess Union's official site - icu.ie.

The speculative list seems utterly pointless and stupid - except to try to make the 11 official numbers seems better than the 30 and 21 in previous years. I do hope that number increases, especially with the prize pool on offer. Maybe it might be a sign of disagreement with the executive's actions this year? Surely everyone rated above 1850 is speculative until they say they aren't attending?

They have omitted (even in the flyer) that the Irish Veteran's Champion, Irish Women's Champion, provincial champions and nominees from the ICU executive and the Junior Officer (to just name a few) also qualify regardless of their rating.

Also that the time control for each player has changed to a mandated time control passed at the AGM.

Reunion as usual you are poorly informed , over a month ago I posted that the absurd motion letting almost anyone one into senior championship has been thrown away by icu

The new time frame passed in last agm was also thrown away and would be same as last year apparently .

, further confirmation by mustafa chess who has alot of insight into the icu and posts under aliases such as "harry the horse " and " ali baba " in other blogs.
    And most of the nonsense motions from that AGM will be discarded and in future that kind of baloney will not be allowed to occur. Limit of motions, to at most a handful in future. There will be an EGM to nullify 95 percent of the motions from the AGM I think. The Irish championships is supposed to have standards and not be subject to the lunatic notions of people who have no business trying to ruin the tournament because of their own ignorance. Allowing some leeway for players 1800 plus (Fide or ICU) is fine but the other stupid suggestions were just that, dumb! <mod snip>

AS regarding lower numbers & standards in senior championship, it's too early to count the chickens but if much lower than last year, it is part due to the stupid motion ( now discarded )allowing bunch of low rated players in, which frightened many high rated players away and secondly is the location , little parking but plenty of junkies around .In bottom 2 sections first round games starts at 7:30 pm at the earliest and many games would finish after 11 pm . Is an alley off o'connell street around midnight a safe place for kids to be trying to get home ? .One person who was centre of attention not long ago and whose name does not appear in senior section here is now playing in british championship in over 65 category !

http://www.britishchesschampionships.co.uk/2015/entrants/

Reunion as usual you are poorly informed , over a month ago I posted that the absurd motion letting almost anyone one into senior championship has been thrown away by icu
    ICU.ie wrote:
    Dylan Boland 1682

Seems like you are poorly informed with no basis or proof. Good look to Dylan!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

over a month ago I posted that the absurd motion letting almost anyone one into senior championship has been thrown away by icu
    Nice to see that the legal burdens placed on an unincorporated association in relation to AGMs and motions are so well understood I suppose...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 Zugszwang

Funny how there have been no predictions for the Irish yet. So here go mine...

Fitzsimons and Jessel are clear favourites to my mind. If Jessel produces the type of form he displayed in the Irish last year, he'll almost certainly win it. Last year he was denied the title only by a blinding performance from Collins. I find it hard to see Fitzsimons winning the event, partly because he didn't impress in his past two appearances. Of course this year he is stronger and more experienced again. One of this strengths is his opening preparation, and that counts somewhat less in a national event where everyone knows this and avoids taking him on in very theoretical lines. Then again, he will surely win the event eventually, and this may be his year.

Of the other contestants, Brady, Short, Daly have all won it before and may do so again. If one of them manages to succeed in this, I suspect it will be Brady as he has shown many times he has the temperament for this type of event. As an outside chance there's Conor O'Donnell. He is capable of beating anyone in the tournament, but I doubt he would do consistently enough to win the event.

Good luck to all taking part!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

No live games?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭EnPassant

Draw for round 1 is here: http://www.chess-results.com/tnr179720.aspx?lan=1&art=2&rd=1&wi=821

I would go for board 8 (Li v Harding) as the game most likely to see an upset.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

Ill go for Conor O`Donnell

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 Zugszwang

Brady-Jessel is the big clash today. If Brady wins he'll be the person to catch on 4/4. Jessel will have other ideas of course and if he wins it really opens the tournament up. Fitzsimons looks unshaken after easily walking over Daly yesterday and today has a relatively easy pairing, as does Short (no offence to the opponents!). O'Donnell is White against O'Connell who's had poor form this season, but Gerry is well known for producing surprises!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭HaraldSchmidt

Games are finally appearing here: chess-results dot com slash PartieSuche.aspx?lan=1&id=50023&tnr=179720&art=3

Can a moderator please post the proper URL, as I don't have permission. Thanks

Games are finally appearing here: chess-results dot com slash PartieSuche.aspx?lan=1&id=50023&tnr=179720&art=3

Can a moderator please post the proper URL, as I don't have permission. Thanks

Link:
    http://chess-results.com/PartieSuche.aspx?lan=1&id=50023&tnr=179720&art=3

Zugszwang wrote: »
    Brady-Jessel is the big clash today. If Brady wins he'll be the person to catch on 4/4. Jessel will have other ideas of course and if he wins it really opens the tournament up. Fitzsimons looks unshaken after easily walking over Daly yesterday and today has a relatively easy pairing, as does Short (no offence to the opponents!). O'Donnell is White against O'Connell who's had poor form this season, but Gerry is well known for producing surprises!

Brady drew with Jessel and is still 1/2 point ahead of Short, Jessel and Fitzsimons. Tomorrow, it's Fitzsimons v Brady and Jessel v Short.

[HTML]
    Rk. Name Rtg FED 1.Rd 2.Rd 3.Rd 4.Rd 5.Rd Pts. TB1 TB2
    1 FM Brady Stephen 2349 IRL 11w1 6b1 2w1 3w½ 4b 3.5 9.5 4.5
    2 FM Short Philip M 2294 IRL 19w+ 7w1 1b0 9w1 3b 3 9.5 4.5
    3 FM Jessel Stephen 2352 IRL 14b½ 16w1 5w1 1b½ 2w 3 9 4
    4 FM Fitzsimons David 2416 IRL 12w1 5b0 8w1 10b1 1w 3 8.5 4.5
    5 FM O'Donnell Conor 2263 IRL 9b1 4w1 3b0 7w½ 13b 2.5 10.5 5.5
    6 Boland Dylan 1682 IRL -1 1w0 14b½ 16b1 8w 2.5 8 3
    7 O'Connell Gerard 2106 IRL 10w1 2b0 18w1 5b½0 2.5 7.5 4
    8 FM Daly Colm 2319 IRL 17b½ 15w1 4b0 14w1 6b 2.5 6.5 2.5
    9 Mulligan Scott 1957 IRL 5w0 11b1 13w1 2b0 12w 2 9 4.5
    10 O'Neill Paul Sean 1954 IRL 7b0 -1 12w1 4w0 11b 2 8.5 4.5
    11 Palmer Bernard 2022 IRL 1b0 9w0 15b1 18w1 10w 2 7.5 3
    12 CM Macelligott Gerard 2062 IRL 4b0 19w1 10b0 17w1 9b 2 6.5 2.5
    13 Harding Tim D 2085 IRL 15b½ 17w½ 9b0 19w1 5w 2 5 2
    14 Fox Anthony 2035 IRL 3w½ 18b½ 6w½ 8b0 15w 1.5 8.5 4.5
    15 Li Henry 1866 IRL 13w½ 8b0 11w0 -1 14b 1.5 7 4
    16 Kennedy John 2074 IRL 18w½ 3b0 17b1 6w0 19b 1.5 7 3
    17 O'Rourke Ray 1984 IRL 8w½ 13b½ 16w0 12b0 18b 1 8 4
    18 O'Gorman Tom 1859 IRL 16b½ 14w½ 7b0 11b0 17w 1 7.5 3.5
    19 Crichton Martin 1973 IRL 2b- 12b0 -1 13b0 16w 1 7 4
    [/HTML]

From http://www.chess-results.com/tnr179720.aspx?lan=1&art=4&wi=821

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Quite a tournament for the player who "shouldn't be there"! Dylan Boland beats John Kennedy, having drawn with Anthony Fox, both times with white.

Now faces his second FM - and someone who was his coach with the Ireland under-19s training panel earlier in the year.

Advertisement