Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour pushing ivy off wall

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

ELM327 wrote: »
    But if you do that his wife and/or child(ren) could continue the mission.
    You have to burn the house down.

KILL EM ALL

*this is a joke btw. If the OP does actually kill these people I am not responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,370 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Keyzer wrote: »
    KILL EM ALL

*this is a joke btw. If the OP does actually kill these people I am not responsible.
    It's fine you can plant a large tree in memoriam if he does

• Registered Users Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

pwurple wrote: »
    Trees improve our quality of life, both physically and mentally.
    They categorically do not improve your quality of life if they are depriving you of light and enjoyment of your garden. Trees of course have their place in this world, they dont need your gung-ho "trees everywhere are amaze-balls!" attitude.
    I don't understand people wanting to live in lifeless plastic boxes at all. Globally, the push in urban environments is to increase the number of trees and plant life that surrounds us.

I think you will find that if people are living in them, they are not lifeless boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭macraignil

People shouldn't be allowed to grow large trees in their garden in a suburban setting.

There's a lot of selfish gits that think their need for 'privacy' outweighs anyone else's considerations.

I'd hate to end up living near to one of them.

Was on holiday last month in Boston and stayed at an apartment in an old house in an area called Jamaica Plain. The houses almost all had very big trees in their gardens, many of which were taller than the houses and everyone had very pleasant gardens. Not many had grown a lawn but the environment there had a much nicer woodland feel to it and without a lawn the gardens generally had much more colourful and interesting plants than would be found in any Irish housing estate I've been in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Am interested to know why people who hate plants are posting in a gardening sub?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

pwurple wrote:
    Am interested to know why people who hate plants are posting in a gardening sub?

I presume the thread is trending and they are picking it up off the front page.

macraignil wrote: »
    Not many had grown a lawn but the environment there had a much nicer woodland feel to it and without a lawn the gardens generally had much more colourful and interesting plants than would be found in any Irish housing estate I've been in.

As long as the trees are appropriate then its beautiful, unfortunately many of the trees planted here, especially by the council, are not appropriate, are not maintained and are a blight on the people who have to live under them.

For example a couple of dense sycamores do nothing for the people who have to live under them in the dark and moss.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.2820711,-6.2699729,3a,75y,121.67h,85.09t,0r/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s6v61OSqrA_g_5qOE3LPl_w!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

"hate plants"?:confused:

You are turning this into a vegan thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Try keep the tops of the trees trimmed about 300mm below the eaves of the roof. You still get privacy, and they still get as much light as possible.

Garden size depending though. I mean if the trees are below the eaves of your house and the neighbour's light is still be blocked, then one has to assume you have a pretty long garden or there's a significant height difference between your garden and theirs. In which case the argument for privacy is a bit moot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

You have such an attitude towards anybody who doesn't echo your exact delight for plant life. not one post in here has indicated a hatred of plants, unless you count the obviously ironic and over dramatized posts. It might be difficult to comprehend, but people actually like the look of a lawn of grass. There's no need to be so condescending to those people.

At least the OP had the courtesy to request advice on how to proceed, to see what other people thought of the situation. The OP is entitled to leave the trees as they are, but he/she lives in a community. Showing some compassion to your neighbors goes a long way.

The nice thing to do here OP is to give your neighbor some light back to their lawn. Would you like to be in their position?

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

I agree with the general thrust of your argument (and the photos are very interesting), but in the case of a large tree in a small suburban garden, it is also true to say that they can have a disproportionate effect on neighbours. I think the owner of the tree should reduce it periodically to allow the neighbours (especially if they are north of the tree) to have some sunlight. You would possibly be arguing against a high wall of leylandii in other circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Perhaps they were under the impression it was a discussion forum as opposed to your personal echo-chamber.

GreeBo wrote: »
    As long as the trees are appropriate then its beautiful, unfortunately many of the trees planted here, especially by the council, are not appropriate, are not maintained and are a blight on the people who have to live under them.

For example a couple of dense sycamores do nothing for the people who have to live under them in the dark and moss.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.2820711,-6.2699729,3a,75y,121.67h,85.09t,0r/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s6v61OSqrA_g_5qOE3LPl_w!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

The image on google earth does not look that bad to me. The large trees provide some element of shelter from bad weather and I'm not sure what sort of maintenance you are expecting the council to carry out on them. Trees naturally look better when they are left to grow in their natural shape without being chopped back unnecessarily. Deciduous trees like those in the photo also loose their leaves in the winter and so allow more light into the area when it is most needed. Moss is not necessarily a bad thing either. I think the picture you have posted would look much uglier without the trees growing there. If your garden is a bit dark for what you have been trying to grow and you would like to brighten it up here is a list of plants suited to shaded conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Keyzer wrote: »
    KILL EM ALL

Are we now calling weeds people or perhaps people, weeds?

Maybe Callum will solve the neighbors problem;)

What happens if a storm knocks a tree into the neighbours garden and lands on the house or the car or whatever.. Presumably OP is to blame?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

What happens if a storm knocks a tree into the neighbours garden and lands on the house or the car or whatever.. Presumably OP is to blame?
    Fortunately civilisation has invented household insurance to deal with such freak occurrences so we don't have to cut down all the trees as a precaution.

In any case, healthy trees don't just fall down except in extremely rare weather conditions, and at those wind speeds all the trees fall over. That's why responsible gardeners keep an eye out for signs of disease and fell any that pose a threat. I've felled two in the last year for this reason, one was split and the other sick.

The image on google earth does not look that bad to me. The large trees provide some element of shelter from bad weather and I'm not sure what sort of maintenance you are expecting the council to carry out on them. Trees naturally look better when they are left to grow in their natural shape without being chopped back unnecessarily. Deciduous trees like those in the photo also loose their leaves in the winter and so allow more light into the area when it is most needed. Moss is not necessarily a bad thing either. I think the picture you have posted would look much uglier without the trees growing there. If your garden is a bit dark for what you have been trying to grow and you would like to brighten it up here is a list of plants suited to shaded conditions.

I used to live there, believe me its bad.
    That picture is nearly 10 years old, the trees are even larger now.

There are 5 trees in that cul de sac (there were 2 others but thankfully they were removed)

The trees are taller than the houses and completely shelter the gardens and the houses. The trees are far too large to be on a grass verge, damage the path and overhang the gardens by a good 15 feet.

They have never been trimmer and are solid when in leaf and effectively solid once they lose their leaves, such is the sheer amount of timber involved.

These nearby ones are pruned, and while they look a bit funny, they are least allow light into the houses they front.
    https://www.google.com/maps/@53.281585,-6.2691517,3a,75y,34.87h,85.71t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1shhM3cf_lLHQHLC5mlh8VUQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

GreeBo wrote: »
    I used to live there, believe me its bad.
    That picture is nearly 10 years old, the trees are even larger now.

There are 5 trees in that cul de sac (there were 2 others but thankfully they were removed)

The trees are taller than the houses and completely shelter the gardens and the houses. The trees are far too large to be on a grass verge, damage the path and overhang the gardens by a good 15 feet.

They have never been trimmer and are solid when in leaf and effectively solid once they lose their leaves, such is the sheer amount of timber involved.

These nearby ones are pruned, and while they look a bit funny, they are least allow light into the houses they front.
    https://www.google.com/maps/@53.281585,-6.2691517,3a,75y,34.87h,85.71t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1shhM3cf_lLHQHLC5mlh8VUQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

The trees in the part of Boston I stayed in when on holiday would have been taller again and also growing closer to the houses. I did not find it dark or in any way bad but I suppose I was on holiday so that would be a different context to living somewhere full time. Currently I work part of every week out doors anyway so maybe I'm not very sensitive to low levels of light. I agree those pruned trees look a bit funny.

The trees in the part of Boston I stayed in when on holiday would have been taller again and also growing closer to the houses. I did not find it dark or in any way bad but I suppose I was on holiday so that would be a different context to living somewhere full time. Currently I work part of every week out doors anyway so maybe I'm not very sensitive to low levels of light. I agree those pruned trees look a bit funny.
    https://www.google.com/maps/@53.281615,-6.2691678,3a,75y,34.87h,85.71t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sLKq1cokIAp87TWW8E8V0MQ!2e0!5s20090601T000000!7i13312!8i6656

The difference in before and after is quite startling, especially considering the before is ~10 years ago and these trees only had their crowns raised a couple of years ago.

Trees outside your house are lovely, but only when they are appropriate (there are hundreds of trees in that estate, mostly sycamore and typically 2 on the verge outside every house (so they grow into each other and form a solid canopy)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

Ivy deserves to be destroyed. Not sure what the issue is ??

s8n wrote: »
    Ivy deserves to be destroyed. Not sure what the issue is ??

I don't agree. It is currently flowering. It provides nectar for pollinators as you can see in the video I posted and food for birds at times of the year when little else is available. To quote the Wikipedia page:
    "Ivies are of major ecological importance for their nectar and fruit production, both produced at times of the year when few other nectar or fruit sources are available.[4] The ivy bee Colletes hederae is completely dependent on ivy flowers, timing its entire life cycle around ivy flowering.[5] The fruit are eaten by a range of birds, including thrushes, blackcaps, and woodpigeons.[4] The leaves are eaten by the larvae of some species of Lepidoptera such as angle shades, lesser broad-bordered yellow underwing, scalloped hazel, small angle shades, small dusty wave (which feeds exclusively on ivy), swallow-tailed moth and willow beauty."

They also look better than many of the things they grow on.

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    Fortunately civilisation has invented household insurance

But yet some of civilisation still struggle with being civil and opt for sarcasm instead.

Who's house insurance is claimed from?

If your tree falls onto my house, and I have to claim off my own insurance, it seems unfair that I'll be hammered with higher insurance costs for years because of you and your tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭eireyiddo

very easy. waste pipe over the wall and pour down it. or hole through the wall and pour it in.

a little here adn there will slowly solve the problem

What's gonna grow thru the hole through the wall and weaken the whole structure?
    I've just seen some really sh!t advice

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mumser

I just want to say thanks to whoever came up with the idea of using google earth to demonstrate the impact of large trees on neighbours' gardens.

I am sitting one foot inside my french doors and I cannot even see the top of a very large tree (cherry tree) in my neighbour's garden. We back onto each other and ours is a south facing garden. The google earth image shows the shade (and some branches) covering all of our lawn and beds. It spans the width of our garden too - detached house with a side lane either side (not good on estimating distance). I love the garden but have very little light. It is only getting worse.

The tree was 'thinned out' a number of years ago but it is so big that it made no difference and just grew even bigger in no time. I haven't had the courage to approach the owners as I know the costs involved with the size of this tree will run into the thousands.

Anyhow a screen shot from google earth will demonstrate the impact really well so thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I don't agree. It is currently flowering. It provides nectar for pollinators as you can see in the video I posted and food for birds at times of the year when little else is available. To quote the Wikipedia page:
    "Ivies are of major ecological importance for their nectar and fruit production, both produced at times of the year when few other nectar or fruit sources are available.[4] The ivy bee Colletes hederae is completely dependent on ivy flowers, timing its entire life cycle around ivy flowering.[5] The fruit are eaten by a range of birds, including thrushes, blackcaps, and woodpigeons.[4] The leaves are eaten by the larvae of some species of Lepidoptera such as angle shades, lesser broad-bordered yellow underwing, scalloped hazel, small angle shades, small dusty wave (which feeds exclusively on ivy), swallow-tailed moth and willow beauty."

They also look better than many of the things they grow on.

IVY is fine if you keep it to your own property.

But it always spreads like crazy and no one maintains when it spreads over their neighbours property. Forcing them to spend hours cutting it back.

One of the more anti social things too grow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Agreed, those trees look fine and healthy, and I don't even see anyone living under them. They are 20ft or more from the houses. The chopped ones are eyesores.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

eireyiddo wrote: »
    What's gonna grow thru the hole through the wall and weaken the whole structure?
    I've just seen some really sh!t advice

that was more of a joke to show that there is always a way.
    you could fill a hole you know

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

when i was a kid, my dad had a slightly different, but related problem - the neighbours had ivy growing over the wall into our garden. we were happy to have it, it covered an otherwise boring block wall. my dad would trim it occasionally and dispose of the cuttings himself.

anyway, one day the neighbour cut the ivy at the base, but he didn't make any further attempt to remove it. when my dad cut away the portion hanging over our side, the portion on his side fell into his garden. and he complained about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,051 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Zenify wrote: »
    So my neighbour at the back of my house is always complaining about the tress at the back of our house. They are high and we are south of her garden so it blocks the light at the top end of her garden. She has always asked us to cut them down but we like the privacy they give our garden. I told her she can cut anything over her garden and she did that during the summer. I also told her she can put the pieces and over into our garden. she also complains about the ivy growing over the wall which we usually cut at the top of the wall for her (i can't understand how bare concrete can look better than ivy). However recently she has cut the ivy back from our side and pushed it back to remove it's grip from the wall so it is even hanging over our side now. It has destroyed a lot of it from our side and it took years to grow. What should I Do?

I read this post when it first went up and was inclined to think there was a certain amount of sitting under a bridge about it, I have now reread it and it does seem like a genuine question, if showing a total lack of awareness.

Couple of things OP, you cut the ivy for her no, you cut it because it was your responsibility. It doesn't matter what you think about bare walls, she doesn't want it and its your job to cut it when it gets to the top of the wall.

It took years to grow -really? From new baby plants maybe, but if you trim off all the stuff that has detatched itself from the wall by next year you will have a good crop of nice young fresh ivy growing happily - that you will need to trim off when it gets to the top of the wall.

You know the trees are high and that they are cutting her light. Right enough one doesn't have right to light, but any decent neighbour would be aware enough to try and improve the situation for her. Not necessarily by cutting the tops off but certainly by getting a proper thinning job done on them.

Do the decent neighbourly thing and have a bit of consideration.

But yet some of civilisation still struggle with being civil and opt for sarcasm instead.

I'm sorry you found my tone sarcastic. Cheer up! :pac:
    Who's house insurance is claimed from?

Whoever is liable. In this case the party who owns the land the tree is on.

https://treecouncil.ie/tree-advice/trees-law/
    If your tree falls onto my house, and I have to claim off my own insurance, it seems unfair that I'll be hammered with higher insurance costs for years because of you and your tree.

That would seem unfair, but that's not how the law works.

• Advertisement

The French have very reasonable rules about trees near boundaries. Ireland could benefit from similar.

https://www.french-property.com/guides/france/property-rights/trees/
    If the tree or shrub is intended to grow higher than 2 metres there must be a minimum distance of 2 metres from the neighbouring boundary. If it is intended to grow below 2 metres in height then the minimum distance is 50 centimetres from the boundary.

As a general principle, the courts have taken the view that the owner has no automatic right to an uninterrupted view or to benefit from sunlight through their windows.

Nevertheless, where it can be demonstrated that an owner is deliberately trying to cause difficulties for their neighbour, or where a property has been deprived of sunlight as to be abnormal, then they have found in favour of the complainant.

Advertisement