Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So I got called for Jury Service...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ichabod

whippet wrote: »
    OP here and just for clarification ... I have no issue with doing Jury Duty and I happen to think of it as something that should be treated with respect .. I am more interested in the mechanics of the whole thing and trying to legislate for the probability of being off the radar for a couple of days work wise.

I had a chat with my boss and he said that in the last couple of years they are clamping down on the usual attempts of making excuses from a work point of view. And unless it is fairly exceptional excuses don't wash ... the last time they said that the employee was vital to the business and they couldn't be without them .. they were asked 'what about annual leave' and how do they cope when the employee is on holidays

An employer is obliged to release you for Jury Service AND pay you. If the employer's excuse is " vital to business ", get a written confirmation from your employer to this effect and submit that to the court in advance. It may be enough to be excused.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/courtroom/jury_service.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭rovertom

What about self employed one man operation. If I'm sitting in jury, I'm not making money and not getting paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

There are court officials who will look after any work related issues. They can issue a court letter, which is essentially an order from the judge, to alleviate any particular issue you have.

I was working on-call at night before starting, so essentially had been up all night for 3 nights going into the first day of a trial. They gave me a letter addressed to my employer saying I wasn't to do any work that would impact on the trial.

Not sure about being self employed but they are used too all sorts of scenarios so it's worth talking to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

Can people with criminal records be called for jury duty ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,133 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

You're disqualified if:

- You have ever received a sentence of 5 years or more: or

- In the last ten years, you have received a sentence of 3 months or more, and have actually served any part of it.

Criminal convictions resulting in lesser sentences, including non-custodial sentences, are not a disqualification.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

How's your hearing? I SAID HOW IS YOUR HEARING?
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

Peregrinus wrote: »
    You're disqualified if:

- You have ever received a sentence of 5 years or more: or

- In the last ten years, you have received a sentence of 3 months or more, and have actually served any part of it.

Criminal convictions resulting in lesser sentences, including non-custodial sentences, are not a disqualification.

Does that include criminal convictions from other countries or just Ireland ?

Dr Brown wrote: »
    Does that include criminal convictions from other countries or just Ireland ?
    The Republic or Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭cudsy1

whippet wrote: »
    I’ve gotten a jury call for next month in the circuit court.

No point in even considering looking for an excuse as I don’t have any valid reason for not doing it .. however I’m trying to make some arrangements work wise just in case.

In reality how likely are you to actually be selected ?

If selected what are the normal operating times of the court / when I’d be expected to be there ?

Is there any time during the day when I could take work calls / log in etc .. or is your time more or less court & lunch ?

bump

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

I did it for two weeks last summer in the Cork District court. It's actually grand but getting picked early for a case is your best bet. Never called up for the 2 weeks it got boring and annoying fast 4 of those days we had off because of no cases. Guy was exempt from following week because he had a week in Lanzarote with his family and just told them. Dress code seemed low key lot of people just had normal causal clothes.

• Advertisement

thanks very much its cork city id be reporting to. was it pretty possible to pull out a letter from your employer after a few days or at the start of a second week if youre sick of it and havent been given a case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

cudsy1 wrote: »
    thanks very much its cork city id be reporting to. was it pretty possible to pull out a letter from your employer after a few days or at the start of a second week if youre sick of it and havent been given a case?

Your employer can't really ask for you to be excused. Only the professions listed on the notice you received are exempted.

Your employer can't really ask for you to be excused. Only the professions listed on the notice you received are exempted.

my profession is listed on the notice alright

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Got called myself for January, no way out of it really but if I'm going to work after it each day I'll be in scruffy clothes while in court. I work on building sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

How does payment rules work for this.

The literature I got said I'm only entitled to be paid for the hours I have to attend. Court is at 10.15 but my job begins at 7.30 so I'm going to work beforehand but will then lose time as I travel to and from the court back to work if not picked. Should I be paid for that or only the actual time I'm in there?

.G. wrote: »
    How does payment rules work for this.

The literature I got said I'm only entitled to be paid for the hours I have to attend. Court is at 10.15 but my job begins at 7.30 so I'm going to work beforehand but will then lose time as I travel to and from the court back to work if not picked. Should I be paid for that or only the actual time I'm in there?
    You're paid by your employer, not by the court service. The legal requirement is that your employer must pay you for "any period when [you are] absent from [your] employment or apprenticeship in order to comply with a jury summons". So that covers the time spent travelling to and from court as well as time spent actually at court.

Advertisement