Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PB or not PB...that is the question

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,721 ✭✭✭Cartman78

09/12/2018

10.1K - Road - 46:24 - AD

My 3 year got the festive season off to a cracker with a tummy bug, which he kindly shared with me late last week.

I've had worse doses but it was enough to put running on hold for a couple of days.

Made it out on Sunday for some fresh air; bumped into another runner I know so we ran the last 3K home at a leisurely enough pace.

11/12/2018

8K - Road - 34:35 - AF

Another pretty standard lunchtime workout - was quite comfortable at this pace to be honest.

Going to pretty busy this week so not sure if a long run will be possible - will hopefully get back in the groove over the holidays.

Have a 10K penciled in for January 6th and hoping to get a Park Run or two in as well if possible

12/12/2018

Intervals 8 x 800m - Road - AD

Enjoyed the intervals today - kept them all fairly consistent and wasn't wrecked on the last interval for a change.

There was a couple of outliers due to having to stop at junctions, but generally the pace would have average out around 3:15 which would tally with my recent half marathon time I guess.

14/12/2018

8K - Road - 34:52 - NB

So no long run this week :-(

Had half-arsed intentions of heading out last night but was knackered - feels like about 20 years since I had a good night's sleep. Our young fella is going thru a phase of toilet training that involves him waking up at random hours on the night, loudly announcing his plan and then clattering around the bathroom for 10 mins like an elephant :-)

Anyway, tldr, didn't go for a long run last night - fell asleep on the couch instead at 9pm watching Fortitude.

Got out today at lunchtime in pretty poor conditions - cleared the head anyway and got some fresh air. Achilles a bit tight so will be hitting the foam roller tonight

16/12/2018

14.15K - Road - 67:26 - NB

Finally something approaching a slow and steady run - I've been falling back into old habits again lately (ie. short runs at high intensity) so it was actually refreshing to just take it handy yesterday.

Having said that I did do a minor surge for the last 3K at around 4:10 pace :-)

In my defence that section of my run is also the last 3K of the 10K that I'll be doing on January 6th so just wanted to see what it felt like running at a decent clip.

Anyway, rest day today. Will do some core and stretching later on

18/12/2018

8K - Road - 33:35 - AF

A perfect day for running almost - sun was shining, temp around 10 degrees and a cool breeze on my back for the last 3K.

Ran this fairly hard - possibly went out a bit too fast (at ~ 4:05 pace) so had a bit of a dip at halfway but picked up again after that and finished strongly.

20/12/2018

8K - Road - 37:42 - AF

Can’t remember anything about this run but my Garmin tells me it happened :P

23/12/2018

10K - Road - 46:11 - NB

Can’t remember a whole lot about this one either tbh :D

Have been feeling under the weather a bit for the last few days with quasi flu like symptoms....achey bones, headaches, tired etc. so this run was a bit of a slog but glad to get out anyway.

26/12/2018

10K - Road - 48:01 - NB

As above, but even more of a slog :(

27/12/2018

Intervals - 15 x 400m - NP

Feeling marginally more energetic today so gave some intervals a lash. Kept them fairly moderately paced and felt ok, hopefully I’m over whatever bug/virus I’ve been battling all week.

Might try a Parkrun on Saturday as a tune up for the local 10K the following weekend.

28/12/2018

18K - Road - 85:01 - NP

Really solid longish steady run - felt I could have run quite comfortably for longer but daylight was against me.

Had planned to round off 2018 with a crack at a 5K PB in the Mungret Parkrun and then continue my good form onto a 10K PB in my local race today,and then ramp it for the John Tracy 10 Miler in early February....but

Once again illness intervened to scupper my plans...a horrible sinus infection this time and an equally horrible antibiotic.

Will be back in action later this week I guess but feeling totally out of shape now altogether. I probably had this bug coming on me for a while in hindsight...anyway hopefully I can bounce back ASAP

09/01/2019

8K - Road - 36:49 - NB

So decided to go out today for the sake of my sanity - it's about 53 hours since I finished antibiotics so that's probably plenty of time...right guys???

Anyway, felt good to be back out after a few days off.....no problems with breathing etc which is good. Calves and right hip a bit stiff but nothing to worry about hopefully.

10/01/2019

8K - Road - 38:12 - AF

Junk miles but still good to get out.

Ran the first 3K or so with another fella from work so was at a fairly leisurely conversational pace - picked it up a little bit after that. Still a bit creaky/achy in places but overall ok

• Advertisement

11/01/2019

Intervals 8 x 800m - Road - AT

Was feeling relatively energetic at lunchtime so gave these a decent lash.

8 x 800s fast becoming my favourite workout I think :-)

Kept the effort relatively hard but consistent - everything pretty much around the 3:15 mark (~4.05 per km pace).

Have revised my tenuous double marathon plans - will do the half in Limerick instead of the full I think. Planning to do another 10 miler in March (Duhallow) as well so the diary is filling up nicely.

13/01/2019

11K - Road - 52:36 - NB

Ughhh....an early entry for 'Worst run of the Year".

Had planned an 18K+ LSR but a combination of utterly dire weather (cold, windy & wet) and me feeling a bit jaded and meh meant that this was a real slog.

Almost ducked out at 8K but ground out another bit of a loop to bump up the mileage a bit.

In hindsight, maybe running 3 days out of 4 following antibiotics isn't too clever - hopefully get a bit of energy back this week

15/01/2019

8K - Road - 34:40 - AT

Have been struggling a bit with lower back/hip pain since Christmas - spent a good hour or so doing a load of stretching last night to loosen it out a bit. Got a bit of relief but have made a physio appointment for later in the week anyway.

This was a pretty solid workout but if felt harder than it should have to be honest - still feeling a bit leggy and toxic after the antibiotic I think.

Anyway, more stretching tonight - just want to make it to Dungarvan in decent shape now

16/01/2019

Intervals 15 x 400m - Road - AF

A slow run was on the cards until I realised how freezing it actually was at lunchtime (~5 degrees).

I did however take these at a far more conservative and consistent pace (~4:05 per km) than I normally do for 400's.

A good workout in the end - looking forward to physio on Friday evening though as I'm a bit achey at the minute

20/01/2019

10K - Road - 46:48 - NP

Another early entry for Worst Run of 2019! :(

No run since Thursday - the run fella was sick on Friday so was at home with him all day and then had physio on Friday evening.

Had some work done on my hip flexors and my shoulder/upper arm which has been giving me trouble lately. Was feeling pretty zonked and sore on Saturday and not much better yesterday really but decided to head out anyway.

It was a bit of a struggle tbh - I had planned to do 14K easy but in the end had to settle on 10K. Felt like I was running uphill the whole time :-(

Not sure if it was a hangover from physio or if I'm still getting over the antibiotics from earlier in the month.

Anyway, will rest today and reassess this week

23/01/2019

8K - Road - 34:29 - NB

Took yesterday off as well mainly because of the weather and generally feeling a bit meh.

Did some weights, core work and stretching at home so maybe the break won't do me any harm.

Set out to run this at a decent clip and generally felt pretty ok - would have concerns however if I could sustain this over 10 miles in Dungarvan in 10 days time.

Anyway all good for the moment!

• Advertisement

24/01/2019

Intervals - 8 x 800m - Road - AT

Another solid enough set of intervals - nothing out of ordinary at all.

Everyone in the office is sick it seems - there's a permanent cloud of Lemsip powder over by the tea and coffee area. Still not feeling 100% myself either - not sure if it's the tail end of the dose I had or the start of another one lol :-)

Well the good news is that I made it through January without being hospitalised :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

No run at all this week - was feeling under the weather earlier in the week, ok now again but the kids are sick so trying to keep all the balls in the air at the minute.

Bizarrely I'm still contemplating going to Dungarvan on Sunday - I'm definitely well tapered and I really enjoyed the race last year. A sub-70 would be acceptable in the circumstances I reckon

03/02/2019

John Treacy Dungarvan 10 Miler

16.11K - Road - 71:47 - NP

A poor showing really but after a very fragmented month of training it wasn't any surprise really.

Expecting to run a half decent 10 Miler on the back of 9 runs (all 10K or less) in 4 weeks was a folly.

Haven't felt right since the virus I got at Christmas; every run since then has been a bit of struggle but having said all that, I'm glad I went yesterday as it's such a fantastically organised and well ran event.

Anyway, moaning over.....got there in plenty of time and did a solid warm up. Took it steady enough for the first few km and felt remarkably comfortable but around 7k-8K (after the long run into the headwind) I instantly went from feeling mildy tired to totally bolloxed in the space of about 200m.

From then on it was a very grim shuffle to the finish - had to take 2 mini walking breaks (:eek:), including one in the last mile, so was just relieved to get to the finish in the end without completely detonating.

Here's the splits fwiw:
    1) 4:05
    2) 4:02
    3) 4:14
    4) 4:06
    5) 4:05 (20:34 cumulative)

6) 4:12
    7) 4:24
    8) 4:15
    9) 4:19
    10 4:37 (42:24 cumulative)
    11) 4:17
    12) 5:16 *Walking break
    13) 4:29
    14) 4:43
    15) 5:37 *Walking break
    16) 4:28

So back to the drawing board this week - still not feeling 100% so might just take a couple of days off to recover I think.

Not sure what my next race will be yet - had my eye of the Duhallow 10 but I might have calendar clash that weekend

06/02/2019

8K - Road - 36:46 - NB

Meh.

Bit of a plod really - not a lot to be said for it other than I got some fresh air.

Legs didn't feel great tbh - Dungarvan still lingering about in my muscles.

Will keep plugging away for another bit and hopefully get a bit of form and energy back

07/02/2019

7.6K - Road - 35:49 - AF

Meh....but maybe slightly less meh than yesterday.

Took a different less hilly route today - nothing major to report

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭El CabaIIo

I'm probably going to come across as a right ass here but fook it but want to point out a few things that might merit consideration

1) You are sick a lot
    2) Your race performances are all over the place in consistency- one week you run close to PB, a week or two later, you are nearly two minutes slower
    3)You have weak endurance
    4)often your intervals are slower than your daily runs
    5) Training is inconsistent in the bigger picture due to missed time
    6) You get into peak shape and fall off a lot every year
    7) You run fast all the time

Being honest, I think everyone of those are linked to the last one. I'm sorry for being so blunt as it hurts me to see you going through the same loop over and over again. I'm a firm believer in that if something isn't working, you change it. High intensity all the time like you are doing will lead to inevitable bouts of sickness as it pummels your immune system, it also hammers your central nervous system which basically controls everything in your body and when it gets tired, it shuts down shop and leads to it shutting down your muscles, punish it for long enough and it can take years to recover.

The ph of your blood is massively important in controlling your metabolism which is one of the most important mechanism in the human body and has a very small optimal range. When you train like you do every day with that burning lactate accumlating, it starts to mess with the acidity of your blood. Lactate produces a wate product called hydrogen ions and pH stands for potential of hydrogen so the more you run at paces that cause that lactate burn, the lower your blood ph falls until it's well outside optimal which will cause chronic fatigue, much higher potential for viruses and bacteria to flourish and breaking down of muscle and bone density(it makes you weak). Think what happens if you were to feed a plant acid, it starts to break down, your blood is what feeds your muscles and organs.

For a 10k run, the aerobic contribution is almost 90%. This means that endurance is more important than speedwork and that should be reflected in training, aerobic(around marathon pace and slower) training should be the main focus of most of your week, aerobic fitness also the effect of lower blood ph as if your body can use more oxygen, it becomes more efficient at everything from fighting illness to how calm you feel to how fast you can run 10k to running better speedwork as your body can clear lactate faster.

I know you have time constraints but slowing down 30 seconds per k on a 10k run is only 5 minutes more of running but I personally guarantee it will completely alter everyone of those points I mentioned above in a postive way by an order of 100 times magnitude. You are currently hammering your body and it doesn't like it at all which ijs why it's giving you all those signs. Doing so will not be a loss of quality from your training but it will be getting it back in balance and it will pay you back tenfold for it, slow miles are not junk miles, Eliud Kipchoge runs 80% of his mileage at marathon pace or slower and even he is an extreme example compared to what mere mortals should be doing.

Even look at your clubmates to see what they are doing. MC is running 4 min pace or slower most days and he's a sub-70 half guy. NOR is running anywhere between 3:40 and 5 minute pace with the majority slower than 4:30 and he ran 15:40 a cople of weeks back. NS is running between 3:20 and 4:20 pace with most over 3:50 pace and he ran 51 for 10 miles. SD runs 4 min pace most days and look what he done over the winter. It's not giving up quality, it's gaining endurance. I honestly think if applied this to training, you would run much faster than your current PB's by a long way and you would 100 times more consistent. Just my 2c.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Re-read the first post in your log. The ‘Warning to
    Myself’ - how much has changed since then?

Cheers for the feedback guys...much appreciated.

There's no doubt I've fallen back into old bad habits recently - things have definitely started to unravel in terms of consistency and performance.

I've been using my running sessions as a short term stress buster, which isn't sustainable in the medium to long term if I have any serious ambitions as a runner.

Dungarvan was a wake up call....back to the drawing board.

Thanks again for taking the time to read my log, and even more so for taking time to provide constructive criticism and advice.

09/02/2019

10K - Road - 46:36 - NB

Up the walls all weekend with stuff at home so not much bandwidth for running unfortunately.

Anyway, this was a steady and comfortable outing, despite feeling a bit stodgy after a late-ish lunch.

11/02/2019

8K - Road - 38:33 - NB

Ran the first couple of km with another guy from work who's just starting back into training.

Again, kept the pace steady after that and no issues to report.

Had planned a longer run tonight but will leave it til later in the week I think.

12/02/2019

8K - Road - 38:37 - AF

Took a different more slightly urban route to change things up a bit.

Generally prefer running on quiet country roads rather than undulating paths/junctions etc. but need to shake up my routine a bit.

Very comfortable at this pace - no desk sweating afterwards as well which is a bonus!

13/02/2019

8.5K - Road - 41:17 - NB

Had tentative intentions of going for a longer run to UL last night but the prospect of 20 mins drive each way didn't appeal to me at all.

So, in the spirit of getting out of my running rut, I dusted off my assorted running lights and head torch and headed off out the door.

The route was basically 3 laps of a country/small town loop - there's maybe a third of each lap that has street lighting, the rest is pretty much pitch black.

I know every bump and pothole on the route so wasn't concerned about tripping etc.

Anyway it went well and might fill a gap until the longer evenings arrive - I could possibly stretch to 5 laps maybe I guess...will see how it goes

15/02/2019

Intervals 8 x 800m - Road - AD

Felt pretty good for these and kept them fairly consistent (all roughly 4:05 ~ 4:15 pace)....there was a fairly strong wind so some were easier than others.

My tentative plans for the Duhallow 10 Miler have been canned due to a clash that weekend, so looking at the Dromina 10 Miler in April instead...not sure yet if I'll be racing anywhere before then, wouldn't mind doing a 5K/10K somewhere so will keep an eye out.

16/02/2019

18K - Road - 88:17 - NP

Took this one nice and easy - the first 10K was quite challenging due to a blustery wind that seemed to be in my face no matter which way I was going.

Kept the pace steady though from start to finish and trotted home quite comfortably for the last 5 miles or so.

18/02/2019

8K - Road - 35:17 - NB

This was a planned tempo run, as opposed to the usual headless chicken efforts that I'm prone to doing :-)

It was complicated somewhat by atrocious weather for the first 3.5K - dirty rain, cold and wind all the way and then, like someone turning on a lamp, the sun came out and it was actually hot :-)

Anyway, felt comfortable at this pace throughout.

Not sure if i'll be able to get out tomorrow - it might be a run in the dark if the weather is halfways reasonable

20/02/2019

8K - Road - 37:45 - AF

Due to crappy weather, work commitments and Liverpool live on the telly last night, I had a rest day yesterday.

However I did do about an hours worth of core and hip flexor exercises while watching the match.

Anyway, headed out today briefly between meetings, went well, very comfortable at 4:40-4:45 pace.

Have a slight tightness in my left knee, suspect it's probably a tightish ITB so will roll it out tonight

21/02/2019

9.35K - Road - 44:45 - NP

A slight miscalculation of the route meant this was a longer lunchtime run than normal.

Again, took the pacing nice and handy - had to battle the wind on a few stretches but no problems besides that.

24/02/2019

21.25K - Road - 106:01 - NP

Got out grand and early on Sunday morning - weather was ok but windy yet again as expected this time of year.

Took the pace nice and steady/slow - the first 8K is a challenging enough loop that I haven't done in a while. Popped a gel after it and felt much better as the run went on.

Still felt strong in the closing few kms so a decent outing and no niggles or injuries to report.

Everyone else in the family is sick at the moment so not sure how I've dodged it so far - felt a bit meh and tired yesterday but not a shock as I'd been up most of the night with the young fella.

Did some core work and weights last night and might get out for a run in the dark tonight if I get a chance.

• Advertisement

26/02/2019

9.15K - Road - 44:17 - NB

Recovered from feeling godawful on Monday (mainly due to complete lack of sleep I think).

Headed out around 8.30pm or so....in fairness it was a beautiful night to be out...mild, clear skies, no wind and only met about 3 cars.

Only my 2nd or 3rd time running in the actual dark (no street lighting) - kinda getting to like it I have to say although I'd be wary on a road I didn't know well. I could probably run the route I did last night with my eyes closed

27/02/2019

8K - Road - 34:30 - NB

A glorious afternoon to be out - first time in ages not wearing a jacket, long sleeve top, hat or running scarf/buff :-)

Set the pace threshold on my watch between 4:15 and 4:30 and there was very little beeping as I was pretty much cruising along at ~4:20 pace for most of the session.

The Munster 4 Mile Road Championships are on Sunday - probably a bit too soon for me I think at this stage and prob won't be able to make it in any case.

There's a local 5 miler on as well which might be more feasible - will see how the next couple of days go

28/02/2019

7.75K - Road - 38:47 - AF

A much more sedate run today - could possibly have taken a rest but wanted to get out and clear my head.

Pretty tired generally (not running related) - seems like about 5 years since I had a decent night's sleep! :-)

01/03/2019

5K - Road - 20:46 - AD

A run which possibly flies in the logic of my more recent training strategy, but I had such a bizarre/stressful morning that banging out a reasonably fast 5K was the only antidote to hand.

Again on a Friday, I had a narrow window to get out so it was either something like this or nothing.

Went fairly hard at it but not flat out, and it should be noted I had to slow down significantly or stop a few times at junctions etc. Also tiptoed passed the spot where I fell a few months ago :-)

Not sure what the plan is for the weekend yet.

04/03/2019

10K - Road - 47:14 - NB

No run over the weekend due no time on Saturday and loads of snow yesterday - might be no harm in hindsight.

A mid paced 10K to get the ball rolling this week - avoided the more rural route option and went instead on the flatter ring road instead and it felt super comfortable at this pace.

It's always a nice feeling when 10K feels both short and easy

05/03/2019

10K - Road - 48:01 - AF

Another gentle jaunt, this time on the more challenging hilly route.

It went fine, but still generally feeling a bit lethargic and deffo felt a bit leggy in the last mile or so.

I'm either coming down with the virus that everyone in the house has had for the past 2 weeks (the missus has just finished antibiotics) or I just need a good night's sleep....all to be revealed! :eek::D:mad::(:o;)

08/03/2019

10K - Road - 43:37 - NB

Took a rest day on Wednesday and just did some light weights and core work.

Bit of drama then yesterday - the young fella was a bit under the weather, ended up having to get checked out in hospital ; all ok now but a bit of a stressful day to say the least.

Anyway, back to quasi normal today, decided to blow off some steam and cobwebs with relatively challenging 10K tempo.

Legs felt grand and was happy enough overall - the last 4K or so were into a blustery wind so the pace dropped off slightly.

Not sure what the plan is for the weekend - we're away for a night tomorrow so may not get a run in at all possibly

14/03/2019

10K - Road - 47:16 - NB

Bah - another enforced hiatus through zero fault of my own....very annoying from a running perspective.

Had mentally penciled in a run on Sunday afternoon after getting back from Cork but hail/sleet/snow showers and high winds put paid to that.

Then the young fella had a bit of a relapse as well so I've been housebound with him all week basically - he's ok now again but I've been basically stuck to the couch with a laptop for the last 3 days. Ordinarily I'd have thrown on the hi-viz and heard torch in the evenings but good ol' Storm Gareth had other ideas.

So finally made it out today - good news is that 10K now feels like a walk in the park but it's very frustrating trying to build mileage and consistency at the moment.

Anyway, next event is looking likely to be the County 4 Mile Championship on Sunday week

15/03/2019

8.75K - Road - 42:06 - PB

Felt a bit stiff and sore today - I think 3 days working from home has taken it's toll.

Got on ok I guess in blustery conditions - will be hitting the foam roller tonight

• Advertisement

17/03/2019

17.50K - Road - 86:31 - NP

A return to 'long' distance after a bit of a enforced break.

Again no problems running at this pace at all really, but the last 3K were into a very strong wind and rain/hail shower so I was utterly boll0xed at the end of it.

Slight tightness in left knee and both Achilles but nothing to worry about at the moment.

18/03/2019

Intervals - 10 x 1K - Road - NB1400

Felt like doing something a bit different today so eventually settled on long intervals.

Decent workout - the wind played its part again today as did a couple of sneaky hills/drags that I hadn't noticed on this route before :D

Was fairly consistent throughout (probably averaging around 4:05-4:10 pace) - have no idea what time I'd clock for a 10K at the moment :confused:

Will keep plugging away anyway - will be taking it easy for the rest of the week and hopefully be in good shape for the 4 Mile County Championships next weekend.

19/03/2019

8.55K - Road - 42:02 - AF

A gentle jaunt in the sunshine (!) after yesterday's exertions.

Feeling generally tired lately again due to abysmal sleep quality - will take a rest day tomorrow and hopefully get a good night's sleep soon

21/03/2019

8K - Road - 34:59 - NB

Tempo run today in borderline perfect running conditions.

Found this pace relatively comfortable - still feeling a bit leggy and lethargic generally. Convinced at this stage that it's down to my continuing poor quality of sleep/rest lately.....have booked in for reflexology in 2 weeks time so hopefully that might do the trick :(

22/03/2019

10K - Road - 47:44 - NP

A solid workout on the red hot streets of Nenagh dull temperate ring roads of Nenagh.

All set now for the County 4 Mile race on Sunday - no major expectations really...I guess ~26 mins would be an acceptable outcome at this stage

Limerick 4 Mile County Championship

6.45K - Road - 25:09 - NB1400

Not too sure how to feel about this one tbh :confused::confused:

Woke up with a stiff hip which loosened out a bit with some foam rolling and stretches.

Got to the Kilmallock in good time and did a decent warm up so was feeling pretty ok on the start line.

Hadn’t thought too much about race strategy as this was something of a free hit. We didn’t have enough for a team so no pressure whatsoever on my performance so decided to give it socks and see what happened.

Headed off at a nice pelt; felt very comfortable after 2K and had settled into a nice rhythm. Legs felt fine, hip a bit niggly but ok, breathing grand, kept it going up to 3K and then....

It was like someone turned off a switch. This wasn’t hitting a wall or blowing up as I’ve experinced before, I just went from feeling great to feeling flat in the space of 400m.

It was pretty pedestrian and comfortable after that...got passed by a few lads and put on a bit of a sprint at the end.

I’d have been happy enough with that time beforehand but the way it happened was weird. Maybe more conservative pacing early on might have helped but I genuinely felt a-ok for the first half and was confident of holding that pace for another few km.

Anyway will keep ploughing on and see how things go.....3 weeks til Dromina so will need to make a call on that fairly soon.

25/03/2019

8K - Road - 38:40 - AD

A gentle stretch of the legs after yesterday's exertions.

Right hip/lower back still a bit iffy so have booked physio for Friday evening.

I think I'll give the Dromina 10 Miler a go anyway - won't be racing it as such...more of a faster longish run I think.

Ditto for the Great Limerick Run Half

• Advertisement

27/03/2019

8.75K - Road - 41:05 - NB

A mid range mid-effort outing today in the sunshine.

Not a whole lot to report really - still feeling flat.

Have booked in a GP visit to get bloods done the week after next to see if there's anything funky going on - seems to be going beyond the threshold of just sleeping badly at this stage :-(

28/03/2019

Intervals 8 x 800m - Road - NB

Another glorious spring afternoon - feels great to be out in a t-shirt after endless months of base-layers and jackets.

Still feeling nowhere 100% generally but running is still going ok I think in the circumstances.

Had the luxury of a pacer today as well - randomly fell into a handy sequence (for me) with a middle aged woman who was trundling along the ring road path on a bike :-)

She was maybe going at 4:45/5:00 per km pace so I'd pass her out at ~4 min pace; then take my interval break; then she'd roll by again and I'd catch up with her again after around 400m of the next interval.

Would be handy to have her around every day to be honest! :-)

31/03/2019

14.30K - Road - 67:28 - NP

Had a physio session on Friday evening - both hip flexors were tight so got a good loosening out hopefully.

Flat out with the kids all weekend but managed to get out for a bit yesterday morning - ideally would have gone for a longer run but always wary of overdoing it so soon after physio so kept it relatively short in the end.

Both calves are a bit tight as well at the minute so will be plenty of foam rolling and stretching this week - have a busy few days/evenings ahead, running likely to be fairly sparse.

03/04/2019

PLASSEY GLOW RUN 5K

5.07K - Road - 19:21 - NB1400

Only heard about this run a couple of days ago, it was for a good cause (Limerick Suicide Watch and Special Olympics) so decided to give it a lash as the combination of work and bad weather meant that I couldn't get out on Monday or lunchtime yesterday.

The weather was absolutely baltic, was only 3 degrees in the car on the way in.

Did a couple of laps to warm up and noticed that there was hardly anyone else out at all - spotted a couple of other lads doing strides and sprints so figured there'd be a handful of us actually racing. There was a big enough turnout actually (would estimate 300+) so a good night for the charities.

I had vague notions of flirting with my PB (18:39) but it was never really on the cards given my recent form and training. Was aiming to run at ~3:45-3:50 pace.

The start was a bit chaotic - no countdown at all, someone blew a horn and the crowd took off. Ironically, the few of us that had been warming up got stuck right at the back so we had to blitz through the crowd in the first few hundred metres.

It thinned out very quickly after that and the positions didn't change after 1K.

Splits:

1) 3:38

2) 3:49

3) 3:54

4) 3:55

5) 3:50

6) 0:13

The first km was a bit frenetic but settled down after that. I think I possibly lost concentration/focus around halfway which might explain the slight drop off.

Tried my best to close down on the guy ahead of me but he was holding steady in fairness to him. Ended up finishing 4th, probably 200m or so off 1st and maybe 20m off 3rd.

Actually quite happy with the outing even if the time is a bit meh on paper. It's the first race in a while (of any distance) where I haven't had a major drop off in form/pace and actually finished strongly rather than dying on my arse.

04/04/2019

10K - Road - 47:15 - AF

Took a break yesterday after the late night 5K shenanigans on Tuesday.

Got out in between the showers, so it was bright and breezy and freezing.

The run was grand - felt a tiny bit heavy legged in the last couple of k, so hopefully just a hangover from the 5K and physio.

Will do something similar tomorrow and hopefully get a long run in at the weekend. Signed up for Limerick Half Marathon last night - badly need to get some miles in

• Advertisement
Advertisement