Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ambulance calls and dublin bus

Options
  • 17-12-2018 10:04am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭

In the last three weeks I've had 3 busses empty of all passengers because someone has gone unconscious (or fainted) and needs an ambulance called.

I don't know if it's the same person every time (same route similar time) in which case it's obviosuly someone who shouldn't be using the bus service or if it's the case that the busses are so overheated and overcrowded that people who are a little bit sick are just fainting and drivers are overreacting.

sorry just wanted to rant publicly about it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

The problem is that the bus drivers can't under-react in these situations. If they didn't call the ambulance and it turned out to be something more than just being a little sick then the person (or their family) could sue Dublin Bus. Yes it's annoying but realistically they have a duty of care to the passengers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Fair point.

I agree with you that drivers can't not overreact. I would however hope that if it is found that people are just a bit unwell and passing out in heat, crowds whatever drivers are talked to about not overloading busses turning off the heat and whatever other reasonable steps that can be taken.

If rush hour drivers didn't take on as many passengers as possible though you'd have other people complaining that the buses are going past bus stops half empty. It's a no win situation for Dublin bus. Windows can be opened if it's too hot on a bus.

Also there's a maximum number of passengers and generally that's all that actually fit too so the driver is probably adhering to that.

Equally you could say that it's been quite mild recently for this time of year so maybe the passengers shouldn't be bundling themselves up quite as much and maybe should take off their coats on the bus instead of getting too warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

can you open windows on modern buses?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Isambard wrote: »
    can you open windows on modern buses?

Slightly fewer than on older ones but yes.

However, the number of passengers (mostly women) that close them because "I'm cold", leaving the rest of the bus a stinking sweaty mess with water rolling down the insides is huge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭FelaniaMump

The problem is that the bus drivers can't under-react in these situations. If they didn't call the ambulance and it turned out to be something more than just being a little sick then the person (or their family) could sue Dublin Bus. Yes it's annoying but realistically they have a duty of care to the passengers.

I think its more the point that if they didn't call the ambulance and somebody was seriously ill or dying then the family might be a little upset that their relative could have lived if the driver just called an ambulance. What kind of mind thinks about them suing instead?

I think its more the point that if they didn't call the ambulance and somebody was seriously ill or dying then the family might be a little upset that their relative could have lived if the driver just called an ambulance. What kind of mind thinks about them suing instead?

God I didn't mean anyone had died! I more meant that if the person was a minor on the way to or from school, the family might take a case against Dublin Bus!

I'm not talking about some massive case but people are entitled to compensation in some circumstances (just maybe not the huge amounts that can be sought) and may bring a case for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

What kind of mind thinks about them suing instead?

A lot of Irish people think about suing first and looking after themselves later.

DB lost a case, with a substantial payout, where someone hurt their knee because the driver braked too hard. Can you imagine the payout if they left a person who fainted on a crowded bus.

Del2005 wrote: »
    A lot of Irish people think about suing first and looking after themselves later.

DB lost a case, with a substantial payout, where someone hurt their knee because the driver braked too hard. Can you imagine the payout if they left a person who fainted on a crowded bus.

Thats just nonsense, and you have no basis for it. There is very little suing of anyone in Ireland, just lots of talk about people thinking everyone is suing anyone!
    If DB lost a case it was because they were in some way negligent, if someone got the payout there was a serious legal basis for them to get it. If someone did sue for being left unconcious on a bus and won, it would be for a sound legal basis and they would have to prove they deserved the payout.
    It's not easy to win these kinds of cases, and there aren't very many of them.

Are you suggesting that drivers should carry on with their route carting around a passenger they know to be unconcious or dead without taking any action? You appear to be, but I doubt you actually mean that.....Think it through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Why don't passengers take matters into their own hands and collectively forcibly remove the person from the bus out onto the pavement?

To what end?

"Quick this poor old man is having a heart attack, someone help... me get him to the pavement so I can get home on time. My dinner will be cold."

Get a grip ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Thats just nonsense, and you have no basis for it. There is very little suing of anyone in Ireland, just lots of talk about people thinking everyone is suing anyone!
    If DB lost a case it was because they were in some way negligent, if someone got the payout there was a serious legal basis for them to get it. If someone did sue for being left unconcious on a bus and won, it would be for a sound legal basis and they would have to prove they deserved the payout.

Are you suggesting that drivers should carry on with their route carting around a passenger they know to be unconcious or dead without taking any action? You appear to be, but I doubt you actually mean that.....Think it through

Look at our papers for the last few years and you'll see it's not nonsense. THere's been multiple high profile stories of people getting large payouts for relatively minor issues and too few cases of spurious claims being thrown out. Ask any business what their biggest fear is and it'll be a personal injury claim, usually submitted several weeks after the alleged incident and not reported, and their insurance companies paying out.

No I'm saying that's the reason why the bus has to be emptied and an ambulance called if someone doesn't feel well on a bus. If they can get several grand for a bit of heavy braking then being carted around unconscious would be a lottery win.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭cichlid child

Are you serious did you read about the woman getting thousands for trying to ride on the outside of the luas. serious legal basis your having a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭batman_oh

I know somebody that got 14k from a Spar because she walked into a fridge while looking at her phone and cut her foot. The same person then sued Tesco when they took her back into the security room 'aggressively' coz her kid stole stuff.

It's completely not rare - it's rampant!

No I'm saying that's the reason why the bus has to be emptied and an ambulance called if someone doesn't feel well on a bus. If they can get several grand for a bit of heavy braking then being carted around unconscious would be a lottery win.

Of course it isn't! The reason the bus has to be emptied and an ambulance called is that the unconcious person might need an ambulance. Fairly obviously!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

But how would the driver know a person is lying unconscious unless another passenger informed him? You couldn't blame DB or the driver if no one informed him/her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

The mind that has been advised by another mind that knows the law of negligence ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Fainting is more often down to not eating and drinking before travelling to work, study or an event, although the only case I've had to deal with personally on a bus was someone with a serious medical condition (I don't recollect). I told the driver, called 999 and put her in the recovery position. All but 1 of the other passengers couldn't get off the bus fast enough.
    L1011 wrote: »
    However, the number of passengers (mostly women) that close them because "I'm cold"
    They're on the bus and are likely wearing winter clothes. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,382 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Victor wrote: »
    They're on the bus and are likely wearing winter clothes. :rolleyes:

If the bus has a temperature set as hot as someones house would be then they should have cloakrooms onboard to put your jackets.

Advertisement