Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seasoned / Kiln Dried Hardwood in South Dublin/North Wicklow?

Options
  • 17-12-2018 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks, looking for somewhere around North Wicklow/South Dublin to buy seasoned or kiln dried hardwood logs for a small stove please?

I was told seasoned will have the same burn quality as kiln dried, that many people just use kiln dried as a spin word for selling at a higher price.

I was also given this advice elsewhere:

"You should NEVER buy wood by weight. call me a cynic but if they are selling cheap wood, not dried out properly, then the weight will be made up of water. If you are buying wood, get a wood moisture meter first, and go to the depot selling the fuel. Lift a sample log they are claiming is seasoned, split it with an axe and take your moisture reading from the exposed inner core. That will put the cat among the pigeons with these arseholes using the word seasoned all the time, when they know no more about wood burning than my cocker spaniel. LESS THAN 20% is what you are looking for."

So anywhere that would tick all these boxes at a good price would be great! I have a van so collection isn't a problem either, but don't have a large storage area, maybe enough for 150kg only!

Any suggestions appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭GavPJ

https://woodfuel.ie/about-us/

Brilliant man to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭SnipSnop

GavPJ wrote: »
    https://woodfuel.ie/about-us/

Brilliant man to deal with.

Fully agree. Dont mind if website says out of stock. Called them a few weeks back and they had plenty left.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately I think the smallest batch they deliver is too big for where I can store it. Would be great to find somewhere I can just pop in around South Dublin/North Wicklow and grab a few bags of quality wood at a good price.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭BONDIred

I use thelogshed.ie

they do small barrow bags and the wood is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Bebop

TJ O’Mahony builders providers in Ballymount Dublin 12 sell plastic bagged kiln dried logs for around €5.50, I have been usung these since October and find them good, they are out of stock at the moment but should have more in later this week

• Advertisement
Advertisement