Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trail Shoes

• 07-12-2018 9:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

Looking for some suggestions for Trail Shoes, I am doing a trail Marathon which could involve some Road, Fireroad & Trail.
    I currently run in Pegasus 35's for marathon training.

I have tried on the Nike Kiger 4 but concerned the 4mm drop could be a problem if there is a bit of road running and the soles are the lugs are not that big for the rougher terrain.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

boydkev wrote: »
    Looking for some suggestions for Trail Shoes, I am doing a trail Marathon which could involve some Road, Fireroad & Trail.
    I currently run in Pegasus 35's for marathon training.

I have tried on the Nike Kiger 4 but concerned the 4mm drop could be a problem if there is a bit of road running and the soles are the lugs are not that big for the rougher terrain.

I wear Pegasus and kiger. They’re very similar in terms of performance. They work really well on the road and trail. Wore them for entire duration of art o Neill.

They’re not that great in really muddy conditions. But for the likes of Wicklow way etc, they’re great. Got them cheap in Kildare village.

Salomon are also good for trails along with inov8 talons.

Given it’s for road/fireroad, you’ll have to compromise a bit on grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

Thanks for the feedback Djoucer.

I think i have narrowed it down to 3 pairs and now need to go and see if i can find somewhere to try on the other 2.

Nike Kiger 4
    Saloman Sense Ride
    Adidas Terrex agravic speed

I have heard really good things about the salomans and from previous experience have found adidas shoes come quite narrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

I’ve the sense ride too. They’re great on trail too. Lots of cushioning. Wore them in a 120km trail/road and they were excellent. Comfortable straight out of the box.

I’m not sold on how they perform on shorter distance. I’d prefer something with lower profile.

Some good deals online. Think I got them for around €80

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Enduro

You doing Ballyhoura?

There are tons of choices out there. There is no generic right answer, as only you can figure out which shoe will work best for you. But t worth thinking about what you want to prioritise... grip, comfort, weight, ruggedness etc. Clearly a multi-terrain shoe is required, so that rules out most of the go-to obvious mountain running type shoes.

If you like highly cushioned shoes the likes of Hokas and Altras are worth looking into.

My own choice for multi-terrain shoes in Ireland are Columbia Montrail Mojaves (Outdry waterproof version)... but then I'm sponsored by Columbia (I've tried out a lot of their shoes, and the Mojaves hit a lot of the right bit-of this-bit of that compromises for these parts for me).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

saucony xodus are very good, rugged and wear very well, apparently the newer version has a softer sole too, which would be no harm, grip on wet rock isnt great, but that seems to be the case with a lot of them..

salomons arent bad but sole wears away very quick

one of the karrimor models, got a very good review online.. i'l see can i dig out which one,

• Advertisement

Djoucer wrote: »
    I’ve the sense ride too. They’re great on trail too. Lots of cushioning. Wore them in a 120km trail/road and they were excellent. Comfortable straight out of the box.

I’m not sold on how they perform on shorter distance. I’d prefer something with lower profile.

Some good deals online. Think I got them for around €80
    How did you find the sizing of the Sense rides compared to the peg 35's. I am 42.5 in the nike and tried on a pair of size 42 in a pair of speedcross 4's, felt they were tight due to position of overlays, But i have read that the speedcross are narrow. Just wondering now if i should go to 42 2/3 for the sense rides. Would love to try them on somewhere but nowhere local sells them.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Having great success with the Altra Torins on the road, so I'm looking at the Lone Peak 4 for off-road.

Any opinions on whether the "waterproof" version is worthwhile?
    I suppose water is going to get in over the tops when you hit deeper water/bog, so I'd use waterproof socks anyway on longer runs. My concern would be that the waterproofing itself would stop water from draining quickly from the shoe, so I'd be running with heavy sodden shoes on my feet.

For now I'm leaning towards the regular version + waterproof socks.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

Went with a pair of Saucony Sense rides and very happy with them. Done over 50 miles in them so far and that is running on the road & trails, Road miles are to get to the trails. Very comfortable and they weighed the same as my pegasus 35 out of the box. I have only had 2 hot spots which is caused by overlays near big toe, (new shoes etc....).

Looking forward to giving them a good test this friday night during a trail marathon.

Advertisement