Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's summertime

Options
  • 31-05-2016 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭

So the good weather and sitting on a jam packed bus reminded me..are we going to have to endure dublin buses summertime schedule once more?

Because what you need when hordes of Spanish tourists start packing out public transport is less buses obviously

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Facebook pm or tweet them they're usually fairly active on both

• Registered Users Posts: 17,556 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Usually implemented from mid-June to late August - I wouldn't see any reason why they wouldn't happen again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

Bambi wrote: »
    So the good weather and sitting on a jam packed bus reminded me..are we going to have to endure dublin buses summertime schedule once more?

Because what you need when hordes of Spanish tourists start packing out public transport is less buses obviously

Yup. Summer schedules are on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,156 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The summer schedules are generally targeted at reducing services that are largely used by school children though, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The summer schedules are generally targeted at reducing services that are largely used by school children though, right?

Nah, school children wouldnt be a huge percentage of the passengers of most routes but they'll still get reduced.

Cost saving basically

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭howiya

lxflyer wrote: »
    Usually implemented from mid-June to late August - I wouldn't see any reason why they wouldn't happen again this year.

Hopefully the Luas dispute is sorted before the summer schedules are implemented

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

By and large it involves removing one or two peak hour services on those routes and in *some* cases daytime frequencies reduce as well.

In addition most of the school term untimetabled extras cease running for the summer.

The absence of schoolkids, college students and people starting to go away for their summer holidays does mean loadings reduce, and it's an effort to match capacity with those loadings which does of course reduce costs too.

But some people seem to think that's a bad idea, yet on the other hand CIE get castigated for having costs that are too high!!

Certainly a controlled reduction of services during the peak summer period makes perfect sense to me!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

So if schoolkid next door gets the 8am bus to school, and adult in the next house gets the same 8am bus to work, and they cut said 8am bus from timetable because the kid is off school - the adult is still affected. :confused:

• Advertisement

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    So if schoolkid next door gets the 8am bus to school, and adult in the next house gets the same 8am bus to work, and they cut said 8am bus from timetable because the kid is off school - the adult is still affected. :confused:

They spread the departures out differently. It does mean people's departure times can change but the service should be faster with less traffic on the road.

Swings and roundabouts.

The alternative is to have half empty buses going around - is that a good way of spending public money?

They spread the departures out differently. It does mean people's departure times can change but the service should be faster with less traffic on the road.

Swings and roundabouts.

The alternative is to have half empty buses going around - is that a good way of spending public money?

Here I am not looking for an argument just simply trying to figure out what the summer timetable actually is and how it works :o Why does everything on boards have to descend into a row?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,710 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Facebook pm or tweet them they're usually fairly active on both

Last time I tweeted Bus Éireann (who are just DB on steroids, in my eyes) they just said "fill in the form and we'll get back to ya"

387494.PNG

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Here I am not looking for an argument just simply trying to figure out what the summer timetable actually is and how it works :o Why does everything on boards have to descend into a row?

That was just a general comment - not directed specifically at you!

That was just a general comment - not directed specifically at you!

Alright, sorry! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Swings and roundabouts.

Can you show any figures to back up the half empty buses in summertime assertion? Granted, that might be difficult for someone who has no connection with with dublin bus :D

Having buses curtail their services right around the time that massive groups of tourists start using buses as the cheap alternative to hiring a coach is a great use of public money I suppose...so long as you're not the customer who's actually paying for the service all year around AND subsidizing it through your taxes just to have it turned into a cattle truck for 1000s of spanish kids in the summer.

Can you show any figures to back up the half empty buses in summertime assertion? Granted, that might be difficult for someone who has no connection with with dublin bus :D

Having buses curtail their services right around the time that massive groups of tourists start using buses as the cheap alternative to hiring a coach is a great use of public money I suppose...so long as you're not the customer who's actually paying for the service all year around AND subsidizing it through your taxes just to have it turned into a cattle truck for 1000s of spanish kids in the summer.

With respect please stop making insinuations about me, and trying to make a joke out of it. You've done this before and I don't appreciate it at all. It's nothing more than trolling or bullying and frankly it is pathetic.

I have clearly stated repeatedly here that I have no connection with Dublin Bus other than being a daily passenger who happens to be interested in the business of public transport.

So I've sat down and read up about the industry, read reports in detail, figured out bus schedules etc. So what? Just because I have a particular interest in this area doesn't entitle you to make all sorts of assumptions about me.

Now I make no insinuations about you - please stop doing so about me.

My own eyes tell me already that loadings have reduced - I can leave 10 minutes later now due to less traffic on the roads. There's no college students travelling any more.

If you're seriously trying to tell me that summer loadings in the morning peak are even remotely similar to those during the rest of the year then you really are taking the proverbial.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Last time I tweeted Bus Éireann (who are just DB on steroids, in my eyes) they just said "fill in the form and we'll get back to ya"

387494.PNG

Oh Dear Mrs O'B......the DB on steriod's comparison with Bus Eireann is SO wrong.....the companies have developed in two TOTALLY different entities,which can even catch employees by surprise...mind you,even our Politicians often get tongue tied when discussing matters busty...generally defaulting to Bus Eireann for everything. ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Play the ball and not the man. And generally forget about focussing who posters are or are not or what connections they have or don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭howiya

I've two problems with summer time schedules. One is that Dublin Bus regularly demonstrate their inability to run each timetabled service on my route and this will no doubt continue during the summer. So when one service doesn't run you are left with longer waiting times until the next service.

The second is that their scheduling doesn't seem to allow for less traffic and you are often left waiting in the city centre for a driver to take over.

So for me, summer schedules mean using the Luas or taxis more often

• Advertisement

howiya wrote: »
    I've two problems with summer time schedules. One is that Dublin Bus regularly demonstrate their inability to run each timetabled service on my route and this will no doubt continue during the summer. So when one service doesn't run you are left with longer waiting times until the next service.

The second is that their scheduling doesn't seem to allow for less traffic and you are often left waiting in the city centre for a driver to take over.

So for me, summer schedules mean using the Luas or taxis more often

The first problem is a different issue though - it's down to a combination of (from what I can see) having a shortage of drivers in general (despite having recruited new drivers), and in previous years, not having had sufficient drivers to cover holiday leave - I've been frustrated by that as well. But that wouldn't be any better with a full schedule as you'd simply have more buses cancelled. We'll have to wait and see if the situation improves this year.

The second issue would be improved if they actually had full proper timetables with timed intermediate points so that you would know which bus to get to be somewhere at a particular time. The summer schedules by no means apply to all routes, but where they do apply, they generally don't involve recasting the entire schedule to reflect less traffic, rather they are addressing over-capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I wouldn't know, I'm on my summer break

• Registered Users Posts: 12,994 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I sometimes get the 27 and the 151 into work. July and August and indeed the school holiday's see the routes shave up to 40 minutes off it's allotted running times, yes 40 minutes. Differences as massive as these in regular timings means that driver changes are thrown out of kilter, with the result that buses are sitting on Eden Quay and Parnell Square not going from A to B waiting for change of crews. Where buses are waiting for changes of driver, it means that they get to termini no quicker than scheduled as the relief driver arrives when they are rostered to.

It also means that passengers are arriving to bus stops having missed their regular service arrivals due to faster runnings or getting to interchanges far quicker than required. Okay you don't mind being a little early and waiting 5 or ten minutes but not 20+ and it makes buses less attractive if it can't get you there when you need to be there.

Lastly, it takes a lot of strain off of driver and fleet rostering and it makes for effective use of available resources and the fleet is kept moving. Holiday relief for staff is easier covered as there are less shifts to cover, it cuts down on the pressures of overtime or rest days working to cover regular services and on bus servicing, fuel, repairs, wear and tear etc etc

If summer boards can make things work better for one and all then I'm all for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Summer TT are available now. A few less routes than previous years, unless of course they are not all uploaded.

15a
    15b
    46a
    77a

Routes not included this year:

25b
    39a

I had heard Phibsboro garage had no summer timetables this year. Might make sense with the above routes?

I get the 11 regularly and I can barely notice any differences on the summer TT tbh.

The differences on the 11 timetable are a net reduction of 2 buses in either direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

I was in Melbourne a couple of years back during their summer and they cut back on bus and also tram frequency for a few weeks because of reduced demand.

It's fairly common practice.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

9 and 122 both operate from Phibsboro. The advantage in terms of operation is a lack of drivers available in the Summer.

At least the godawful 13's dreadful timetable remains intact. 25B too, it and the 25A work well together as it is.

Advertisement