Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi Company 20% Off

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Taxipete29 wrote: »
    Its illegal to advertise discounts on the car itself.

It isn't. I have seen plenty of taxis advertise all sorts of things. There are all those City Cabs cars with their name and numbers up the side. There are the Scudos with the whole back covered in adverts. Does this law specifically cover discounts but all other ads are acceptable?

It seems that taxi drivers seem to find bureaucracy to prevent them giving or offering discounts. Claims of a waiver required to discount a fare yet, as mentioned previously by me, they'll knock the 40c off the end price.

The fact is that the drivers who post on here simply do not want to offer meaningful discount to customers.

If that is the case then fine. Just admit it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Well as the answer often given goes.....when I get discounts on my insurance, fuel, repairs, tyres, bin charges, GP visits etc. as a regular customer, then you'll get a discount ( if you're a regular customer )......

Have you not been saying there are too many taxi drivers on the streets? Then when a discount could be offered you won't do this? Do we want our cake and to eat it too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

It isn't. I have seen plenty of taxis advertise all sorts of things. There are all those City Cabs cars with their name and numbers up the side. There are the Scudos with the whole back covered in adverts. Does this law specifically cover discounts but all other ads are acceptable?

It seems that taxi drivers seem to find bureaucracy to prevent them giving or offering discounts. Claims of a waiver required to discount a fare yet, as mentioned previously by me, they'll knock the 40c off the end price.

The fact is that the drivers who post on here simply do not want to offer meaningful discount to customers.

If that is the case then fine. Just admit it.

It is illegal to advertise fare discounts on the car. I can advertise my cab company or any other company all over my car, but I cant put a sign on the side that says X% of all fares. Thats the position from the regulator.

Dont you think that out of all the taxis in the country that if you could sonmeone would of done it already??? Afterall this discount from firms isnt exactly a new thing, local firms have being doing it for a while.

I would offer discounts if it meant I got repeat business( which is the whole point of doing it) But I know for a fact this would not happen, so Im not going to. Im not going to apologise my for my position. The simple fact is, weither I offer a discount or not is not going to have any meaningful effect on my business in the long term so I choose not to.

If you wish to see Taxis offering discounts at the roadside, petition the regulator for it to be allowed to advertise such discounts on the cars. When this is done come back to me and you will see my attitude change very quickly.

It is illegal to advertise fare discounts on the car. I can advertise my cab company or any other company all over my car, but I cant put a sign on the side that says X% of all fares. Thats the position from the regulator.

Dont you think that out of all the taxis in the country that if you could sonmeone would of done it already??? Afterall this discount from firms isnt exactly a new thing, local firms have being doing it for a while.

I would offer discounts if it meant I got repeat business( which is the whole point of doing it) But I know for a fact this would not happen, so Im not going to. Im not going to apologise my for my position. The simple fact is, weither I offer a discount or not is not going to have any meaningful effect on my business in the long term so I choose not to.

If you wish to see Taxis offering discounts at the roadside, petition the regulator for it to be allowed to advertise such discounts on the cars. When this is done come back to me and you will see my attitude change very quickly.

Yes. 100%. It has nothing to do with regulators' rules on waiver forms or advertising on the side of cars. Drivers simply don't want to give discounts. I see nothing wrong with that as long as people are aware of the prices before they get in. It's perfectly reasonable. No point in blaming others.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

paulm17781 wrote: »
    Have you not been saying there are too many taxi drivers on the streets? Then when a discount could be offered you won't do this? Do we want our cake and to eat it too?

No not cake, but I would like to be able to feed my family something, after working 60 hours...

• Advertisement

Yes. 100%. It has nothing to do with regulators' rules on waiver forms or advertising on the side of cars. Drivers simply don't want to give discounts. I see nothing wrong with that as long as people are aware of the prices before they get in. It's perfectly reasonable. No point in blaming others.

But they are aware of the fare structure already, thats why the TR introduced a national fare structure, now the interesting question will be how many arguments will be caused by people saying " I only paid €15 on the way in, so you can eff off with charging €20 back " I can see the Garda being kept busy in the near future....

I honestly have no idea what you are trying to say here. If a driver doesnt want to give a discount thats his/her right. if a driver does he/she should be allowed to advertise said discount on their car.I think thats pretty straightforward. Thats my only point here

kajo wrote: »
    We wanted more taxis and we got them now we want discounts.. where will it end???
    If we dont pay a fair wage for a fair job then we end up with a crappy unsafe service.
    How will drivers upgrade cars and service them if they don't get a fair wage?

Terrontress you were the one who complained about spooks car... how can he pay for a new one in 2012 if we dont pay him for doing his job?

This is all very sad... a race to the bottom :(

I have no idea who those people are.

I said that there is no problem whatsoever with someone charging the maximum fare. It is their choice as a service provider. My only point was that there has been alot of talk on here that discounts can't be advertised, complicated forms must be given to be able to give a discount, taxi drivers have no choice at all in what to charge etc.

All I'm saying is that a bit of honesty, like that by Pete is honest. His points being that he is pressurised enough as it is, won't get the chance to get repeat business and he is the boss so sets the fare to the max he is allowed.

So even if he was allowed to paint the car with "25% off", not have to sign anything and could run his car on fresh air, has no mortgage to pay and 100 fares per day; he'd chose not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

I would offer discounts if it meant I got repeat business
    So maybe some of the firms will start offering discounts on corporate accounts, instead of the supercharge (10% iirc) that NRC currently charge.

So maybe some of the firms will start offering discounts on corporate accounts, instead of the supercharge (10% iirc) that NRC currently charge.

Odd you should mention that, did you know that some cabfirms actualy deduct a % off of any account fares before they pay them out to the drivers....

e.g Fare is €20, driver gets €18, company gets €2 plus any surcharge they foist on the customer as well..

As a thought

Just have a think on this...

You have taxi companies telling the Taxi Regulator ( through their seat on the Advisory Council ) that they don't have enough taxis, now just work out someone like CityCabs, approx 600 cars paying €90 a week, thats €2.8 million a year, no wonder they want more cars to sign up with them, and at the end of the day when they have enough of a slice of the pie do you think they will have the customers interests at heart...

Who's making more money the more taxis on the road, the drivers or the radio companies?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'll have to be moving to Maynooth then.....actualy now I just typed Maynooth maybe not...:)

Moving to Maynooth is something advised only for students, priests and the clinically insane...

MYOB wrote: »
    Moving to Maynooth is something advised only for students, priests and the clericly insane...

FYP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

While I like the idea of doing this, Its illegal

I don't see a written rule anywhere about price advertising. I really doubt whether it would be legally feasible to stop a taxi driver from advertising a price discount, whilst allowing other types of advertising. It would seem to me like a restriction on trade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Our company has an account with NRC. So even with all the business we throw their way and that includes many longish trips to the nearest airport, NRC still charge an extra percentage on the account. I don't know the exact figure, possibly 5% or maybe 10%.

WTF, we give you business and you charge us extra? :confused:
    Hey if I was in charge of this I'd be expecting discounts and kickbacks, not 10% more but 10% less as a mininum. Yep, every Christmas we get cards thanking us for our support and chocolates and wine but all those gifts were paid for many times over in fees.

I think this 20% company will do well if they can pitch for the corporate accounts, I wish them the best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Odd you should mention that, did you know that some cabfirms actualy deduct a % off of any account fares before they pay them out to the drivers....

e.g Fare is €20, driver gets €18, company gets €2 plus any surcharge they foist on the customer as well..

As a thought

Just have a think on this...

You have taxi companies telling the Taxi Regulator ( through their seat on the Advisory Council ) that they don't have enough taxis, now just work out someone like CityCabs, approx 600 cars paying €90 a week, thats €2.8 million a year, no wonder they want more cars to sign up with them, and at the end of the day when they have enough of a slice of the pie do you think they will have the customers interests at heart...

Who's making more money the more taxis on the road, the drivers or the radio companies?

Maybe the drivers need to move towards a co-operative structure? I'm old enough to remember when Co-op Taxis (phone 777777) were the biggest taxi firm in the city, owned and managed by drivers.

mikemac wrote: »
    Our company has an account with NRC. So even with all the business we throw their way and that includes many longish trips to the nearest airport, NRC still charge an extra percentage on the account. I don't know the exact figure, possibly 5% or maybe 10%.

WTF, we give you business and you charge us extra? :confused:
    Hey if I was in charge of this I'd be expecting discounts and kickbacks, not 10% more but 10% less as a mininum. Yep, every Christmas we get cards thanking us for our support and chocolates and wine but all those gifts were paid for many times over in fees.

I think this 20% company will do well if they can pitch for the corporate accounts, I wish them the best of luck.

202020 are a Global Taxis brand, Global taxis are affilated to City Cabs, as are Taxi7 and eight other companies. If I can find the list of them I'll post it, you might be in for a surprise when you see how monopolistic the trade has become...

http://www.taxiseven.com/
    http://www.globaltaxis.ie/
    http://www.citycabs.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

202020 are a Global Taxis brand, Global taxis are affilated to City Cabs, as are Taxi7 and eight other companies. If I can find the list of them I'll post it, you might be in for a surprise when you see how monopolistic the trade has become...

http://www.taxiseven.com/
    http://www.globaltaxis.ie/
    http://www.citycabs.ie/

Borough Cabs, Greyhound Cabs, Eurocabs, Speedy Cabs, Camden Cabs and Metro Cabs are all part of the Noel Ebbs set up.

It's worth pointing out that in spite of the fact that they can discount prices to account and corporate customers, they still lose large amounts of accounts to other taxi companies who charge" more but show up on time, have polite staff, decent cars, quicker routes taken places etc.

I don't see a written rule anywhere about price advertising. I really doubt whether it would be legally feasible to stop a taxi driver from advertising a price discount, whilst allowing other types of advertising. It would seem to me like a restriction on trade.

Whilst there is no specific mention of pricing in the statute, that is the regulators position. As taxis are Public Service Vehicles rules such as restriction of trade may not apply as they would to a normal business.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭scorpioishere

20% Off the fare....Ya! the bulk of their drivers are probably foreginers that cant speak english,and dont know their way around,so in a desperate bid to get work they do this....it will still cost you more than it should because most of their drivers Cant read maps and the maps on their navigation systems only have africa or dublin airport,,or the welfare offices on them!:cool:

Actually i was taking a taxi on oconnel street to go to the registry office one day for a wedding and the driver had to stop and asked for directions. He was an old prick who were suppose to know as he is working in the city centre.

Also i was getting a taxi one day with some mates to swords and the driver again didn't know how to get to swords. May be they are stupid or they act stupid so that they can get more money on the fare. And these two cases are irish drivers which is a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭scorpioishere

My colleague from work was coming from spain for his first time in dublin. He was staying at the travelodge and from the airport it costs around 12 euros.

The driver at first was not happy when my collegue said he was going to travelodge because it is so near.

Anyway while he was going to travelodge the driver was talking to him and found out he was at his first time into the country. Once he arrived at travelodge he decided to increase the fare to 28 euros. my friend was so shocked but didn't say anything as it was the company who was paying the fare. He asked for a receipt and the diver said he had not put his meter on as its broken. He then said dnt worry its the correct fare.

My collegue insists on a receipt having details from the airport to travelodge in swords, the time, the fare, his name, his signature etc etc..
    The driver got angry and said ok give me only 5 euros. My colleague laughed at him and said receipt please. He was so tensed in case my colleague went to the police and said to him ok its free this time. My colleague then left the taxi.

It's quite horrible how irish drivers are so mean sometimes towards foreigners. If it was me i would have report him straight away. And they always asked for increase, they have to pay for this, they have to pay for that.. At least they should be honest in their jobs and try to learn some routes in dublin.

• Advertisement

My colleague from work was coming from spain for his first time in dublin. He was staying at the travelodge and from the airport it costs around 12 euros.

The driver at first was not happy when my collegue said he was going to travelodge because it is so near.

Anyway while he was going to travelodge the driver was talking to him and found out he was at his first time into the country. Once he arrived at travelodge he decided to increase the fare to 28 euros. my friend was so shocked but didn't say anything as it was the company who was paying the fare. He asked for a receipt and the diver said he had not put his meter on as its broken. He then said dnt worry its the correct fare.

My collegue insists on a receipt having details from the airport to travelodge in swords, the time, the fare, his name, his signature etc etc..
    The driver got angry and said ok give me only 5 euros. My colleague laughed at him and said receipt please. He was so tensed in case my colleague went to the police and said to him ok its free this time. My colleague then left the taxi.

It's quite horrible how irish drivers are so mean sometimes towards foreigners. If it was me i would have report him straight away. And they always asked for increase, they have to pay for this, they have to pay for that.. At least they should be honest in their jobs and try to learn some routes in dublin.

I know that this kind of situation is alot more than an isolated incident and while I dont think its as rampant as some may think the fact that it happens at all is an absolute disgrace.

I was in Vegas late last year and twice while in taxis the driver decided to take the scenic route. Upon challenging them about why they were trying to rip me off they reduced the fare accordingly. The ridiculous thing was, drivers in Vegas keep half of the fare and all of their tips. I tip quite well when im in a taxi and if the driver had gone the correct route he would of made more money for himself, instead all he got was the correct fare , a severe ear bashing and me threating to call the taxi police.

I also think that its a disgrace that so many drivers dont know where simple landmarks such as the Registry office are, or that they dont know the basic routes to areas of Dublin. The solution is simple, make the test harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Whilst there is no specific mention of pricing in the statute, that is the regulators position. As taxis are Public Service Vehicles rules such as restriction of trade may not apply as they would to a normal business.

I think you should insist on the regulator getting the 'position' formalized as law. If it's not written down, it just isn't law.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

So in other words there is absolutely nothing to stop a driver advertise cheaper prices on their Taxi, you are just using the taxi regulator as an excuse for not trying this business practice.

bk wrote: »
    So in other words there is absolutely nothing to stop a driver advertise cheaper prices on their Taxi, you are just using the taxi regulator as an excuse for not trying this business practice.

Just because the law is vague, doesnt mean its not the law.

bk wrote: »

It's a side issue, introduced to disguise the fact they don't want to give discount. Pass the blame.

It's a side issue, introduced to disguise the fact they don't want to give discount. Pass the blame.

That seems to be all you can say. Passing the blame. Did it ever occur to you that margins might be so tight in our industry that we simply cant afford to give a discount.

Say every taxi driver discounts fares by 20% and were able to advertise on our cars and everyone knew about it. We would have to see an increase in business of 20% to simply maintain our current financial position which sees drivers working outrageous hours to make a living.

Every idea that you comment on is based on preconcieved notions you have on a bygone era in the taxi industry. All your interested in is what you can get, but you fail to recognise that there must be a balance between what the customer gets and what the drivers get. Taxi drivers are not ALL out for what we can get. We want fair and balanced regulation for our industry which enables us to deliver a high quality service to the consumer which is not only demanded by the public but is there right. In order for us to provode such a service we must be able to earn a wage, after all we are doing all this to make money.

I am not a taxi driver because I worry that somebody somewhere may not be able to get where they are going unless I am there to bring them, I am a taxi driver to earn a wage so I can live and provide for my family, but while I am a taxi driver I will be concerned that i can provide the services demanded by the public in an effective and appropriate manner. I cant and nor can any other driver who is actually concerned with consumer satisfaction and public safety, do this without making a proper wage.

Alot of people here will say , well if you dont like it then get out and I say to them, what if I dont want to get out?? What if I really love doing what I do, why shouldnt I fight to see that the job that I love doing doesnt get reduced , swamped by people who dont know and couldnt care less where they are going and how they are going to get there and are only interested in the how much they can screw out of the customer. Look around, this is whats happening and unless the regulator takes her head out of the clouds within a few years there will be no decent drivers left and the Taxi industry will be an unsafe, uneffective and untrustworthy way to travel.If you think im exaggerating then leave your pc for five minutes and ask people who not only use taxis but rely on them to simply get by how they feel about it all, because I dont ask them, but they tell me and in no uncertain terms how they feel about the way their service has changed, how they dont use certain companies any more because of the drivers they use, How they wont pick a cab up off the street because they dont trust the driver, How do certain drivers get a licence when they dont even have a basic understanding of the routes of the city.

These are the questions that the fare paying public are asking and they are the same question that are being asked by the drivers who care about the industry. We are all on the same page on this subject but the regulator does nothing for any of us. I do not pretend that my views are the same as all drivers, but I know they are the same as the good ones.

That seems to be all you can say. Passing the blame. Did it ever occur to you that margins might be so tight in our industry that we simply cant afford to give a discount.

Say every taxi driver discounts fares by 20% and were able to advertise on our cars and everyone knew about it. We would have to see an increase in business of 20% to simply maintain our current financial position which sees drivers working outrageous hours to make a living.

Every idea that you comment on is based on preconcieved notions you have on a bygone era in the taxi industry. All your interested in is what you can get, but you fail to recognise that there must be a balance between what the customer gets and what the drivers get. Taxi drivers are not ALL out for what we can get. We want fair and balanced regulation for our industry which enables us to deliver a high quality service to the consumer which is not only demanded by the public but is there right. In order for us to provode such a service we must be able to earn a wage, after all we are doing all this to make money.

I am not a taxi driver because I worry that somebody somewhere may not be able to get where they are going unless I am there to bring them, I am a taxi driver to earn a wage so I can live and provide for my family, but while I am a taxi driver I will be concerned that i can provide the services demanded by the public in an effective and appropriate manner. I cant and nor can any other driver who is actually concerned with consumer satisfaction and public safety, do this without making a proper wage.

Alot of people here will say , well if you dont like it then get out and I say to them, what if I dont want to get out?? What if I really love doing what I do, why shouldnt I fight to see that the job that I love doing doesnt get reduced , swamped by people who dont know and couldnt care less where they are going and how they are going to get there and are only interested in the how much they can screw out of the customer. Look around, this is whats happening and unless the regulator takes her head out of the clouds within a few years there will be no decent drivers left and the Taxi industry will be an unsafe, uneffective and untrustworthy way to travel.If you think im exaggerating then leave your pc for five minutes and ask people who not only use taxis but rely on them to simply get by how they feel about it all, because I dont ask them, but they tell me and in no uncertain terms how they feel about the way their service has changed, how they dont use certain companies any more because of the drivers they use, How they wont pick a cab up off the street because they dont trust the driver, How do certain drivers get a licence when they dont even have a basic understanding of the routes of the city.

These are the questions that the fare paying public are asking and they are the same question that are being asked by the drivers who care about the industry. We are all on the same page on this subject but the regulator does nothing for any of us. I do not pretend that my views are the same as all drivers, but I know they are the same as the good ones.

For a start, if you discount by 20% you would need to increase passenger journeys by 25% to get back to where you started.

Aside from that, what I am saying is basically the same as you. You think the prices are fair and do not see why you should have to discount.

If the taxi regulator removed this restrictive ban on having any indication that you are prepared to discount and did not insist you fill in a waiver form for a passenger to pay 1c less or 1c more than the metered amount would you, and the other drivers on here arguing against discounting do it?

No. You don't get return business, you are finding it difficult enough as it stands. You think the metered price is fair.

There is nothing wrong in that, as long as you are honest about it.

Waiver forms, bans on advertising discounts and whatever else are a side issue to you offering a discount in your service.

Agree?

For a start, if you discount by 20% you would need to increase passenger journeys by 25% to get back to where you started.

Aside from that, what I am saying is basically the same as you. You think the prices are fair and do not see why you should have to discount.

If the taxi regulator removed this restrictive ban on having any indication that you are prepared to discount and did not insist you fill in a waiver form for a passenger to pay 1c less or 1c more than the metered amount would you, and the other drivers on here arguing against discounting do it?

No. You don't get return business, you are finding it difficult enough as it stands. You think the metered price is fair.

Waiver forms, bans on advertising discounts and whatever else are a side issue to you offering a discount in your service.

Agree?

Just to clarify about the waiver form as there seems to be alot of confusion. The waiver form only comes into play if you are agreeing a price before the start of the journey. If at the end of a journey I decide to give you money off or state there will be a discount at the end, there is no need for a waiver.

If i was allowed to advertise discounting on my car, I might consider doing it if I felt it would help or at least do it on a trial basis and see if it had an impact on my bottom line.

I think the meter price is reflective of the need for drivers to make a living. I think its slightly harsh on short journeys, but as they make up the bulk of a days work that may have to be something that just has to be swallowed.

I know this will never happen but I will throw it out as something for cutomers to condisder. If the numbers of taxis operating were to go back to the levels of 2 years ago, then I feel you could actually reduce fares across the board by 20% and not suffer any major loss of availabilty or provision of service and drivers would make a fair wage( Not supernormal profits or anything close).

Taxi drivers, it may seem are always complaining about something and in that respect we are not that different from the rest of the population, but if you were involved in the industry and realised how little say the drivers, who after all are the industry, have in any decisions, how badly we can be treated by radio companies and have no recourse whatsoever even though we pay them and keep them in business you might realise that we have a point.

Agree?

Well I've stayed out of this argument...mostly...but here goes

Discounts....the customer and driver may negotiate a discount before engaging the taxi for a journey, this could be a percentage or a flat figure off, but the meter must be engaged and any discounts/rebates entered manualy on the receipt..

Waiver Forms....the customer and driver may agree to a fare not calculated on the meter, providing 1) It is a prebooked fare and 2) A waiver form is filled out. The waiver form would then I presume take the place of a receipt as it has the journey details etc. written onto it.

Advertising....AFAIK The space opposite the plate number on the roof sign is reserved for contact details and/or details of a recognised federation/union and would not legaly be allowed a "25% off this cab" sticker, however, would you be allowed to put a sticker or signwork on the side of the cab....probably, but I'll not guarantee that you can.

Discounts in general for repeat business...The nature of taxiing as a sole trader doesn't lend itself to an easy loyalty scheme ( discounts ) because the simple fact is that when you want your discounted cab that cab is probably nowhere near where you are, unless you have pre booked him, in which case, the driver has ( as likely ) driven past fares or stopped actively looking for fares to service your demand, as such I won't give you a discount but I do guarantee ( within reason ) that I'll be there waiting....Larger conglomerates may be able to provide a discounted service as they should have cars in the area, however, as with most companies you may/may not have to wait depending on how busy the company is and if there are any cars in the locale, as I said before 20% off sounds good, as long as you don't have an urgent appointment and the taxi is late... Someone mentioned this earlier about companies migrating from cheaper taxi services to more reliable services, you pays your money and makes your choice...

• Advertisement

Anybody actualy used them yet?

I'll repeat the question as it appears that no one noticed it, or is it just that no one has used them?

Advertisement