Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can you take a bike on a train from dublin to Portlaoise?

• 20-05-2016 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

Hi!

I want to buy a bike but live in Portlaoise. There are fewer options here and want to buy in dublin but then have to get home with it. My car is small (kia rio) and I am tall and the bike will be a bigger mountain bike so was thinking of taking the train if I would be allowed to get on it with my bike. Can this be done?

thank you!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

armabelle wrote: »
    Hi!

I want to buy a bike but live in Portlaoise. There are fewer options here and want to buy in dublin but then have to get home with it. My car is small (kia rio) and I am tall and the bike will be a bigger mountain bike so was thinking of taking the train if I would be allowed to get on it with my bike. Can this be done?

thank you!

Short answer is yes, if there is room on the train. There is a charge. There are some limitations on bringing bikes on trains. A quick google of Irish Rail Bicycles brings up the full details regarding bikes: http://www.irishrail.ie/travel-information/bicycle-information

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,916 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Banjoxed wrote: »
    Short answer is yes, if there is room on the train. There is a charge. There are some limitations on bringing bikes on trains. A quick google of Irish Rail Bicycles brings up the full details regarding bikes: http://www.irishrail.ie/travel-information/bicycle-information

No charge on the Heuston/Portlaoise all stations stopping trains as they fall under the commuter category (but only off-peak and at weekends).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭armabelle

thanks for all the advice, I got back with my new bike on the train but there were only two places for two bikes and mine was the last place left. I don't know what happens when those places become full but my guess is that you cannot board the train. I think two bikes per train is a too little. They should make some more spaces for bikes.

thanks for all the advice, I got back with my new bike on the train but there were only two places for two bikes and mine was the last place left. I don't know what happens when those places become full but my guess is that you cannot board the train. I think two bikes per train is a too little. They should make some more spaces for bikes.

That would mean less space for people which is the primary purpose of the train!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

sadly it isn't doable. the trains used on this service are intercity style trains.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭armabelle

lxflyer wrote: »
    That would mean less space for people which is the primary purpose of the train!

Yes but people on bikes is more people. trains are hardly ever full...they were almost empty saturday

Yes but people on bikes is more people. trains are hardly ever full...they were almost empty saturday

You do realise that those trains operate across the entire network, and that while the particular trains you were on might not have been full, during the week certain trains are crammed with passengers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Going to be serious issues when the Déise Greenway opens in Waterford this August. Lots of people will want to bring their bikes down to cycle the Greenway and 2 bikes a train won't cut it. They should run one of the Commuter trains down early on Saturday and Sunday mornings (the 29000 class) and back in the evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Going to be serious issues when the Déise Greenway opens in Waterford this August. Lots of people will want to bring their bikes down to cycle the Greenway and 2 bikes a train won't cut it. They should run one of the Commuter trains down early on Saturday and Sunday mornings (the 29000 class) and back in the evening.

jesus no . bad enough connolly long distance routes still having to endure them things without inflicting them on poor waterford passengers (mind you i'm sure they would) inflict them on waterford if it benefited their "operational requirements"
    i agree with your points about bike provision but IE "operational requirements" will insure a 2900 will never run out of heuston again.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words.

That is not going to happen - the 29000s are firmly on the Connolly side of the house.

Westport seems to cope all right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭TheExile1878

I suggest you try the evening train back to Portlaoise, if you're not on 20 minutes before you're not getting a seat.

Sure let's make it worse just so a bike can get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

If not full sized bike. Then some better facilities for folding bikes. Lot more common now. They fit on the existing luggage racks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Of course they could bring their bikes to Waterford from Dublin via the South Wexford line - if it were open - as could Continental bikers wanting to reach the Westport/Achill Greenway from Rosslare Harbour if the Athenry/Claremorris section were open. Joined up thinking ha,bloody ha!

Advertisement