Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So how do you stop it?

Options
  • 11-10-2009 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.fingal-independent.ie/news/allegedly-caught-with-false-plate-1905467.html
    Allegedly caught with false plate
    TAXI MAN TO FACE CHARGES

Wednesday October 07 2009

A CHINESE national allegedly caught driving with a false taxi plate will have his case heard in December.

Jinge Li, Drynam Drive, Kinsealy, appeared before Judge Patrick Brady at Swords District Court last week.

Li was charged with using a false instrument under the Theft and Fraud Act and with driving without insurance.

Giving evidence previously, Garda Mark Keane told the court he had stopped Li driving on Main Street, Malahide at 1.48am on August 28th.

'He was arrested and brought to Malahide Garda Station, where he was charged and made no reply,' Garda Keane said.

Recommended

Sgt Paul Madden said the accused was charged with having a false taxi plate, adding the Director of Public Prosecutions had recommended disposing of the charge summarily.

Judge Brady accepted jurisdiction and adjourned the case, while

a

Chinese assigning interpreter.

Speaking through an interpreter, Li told the court he wished to have his case dealt with in Swords District Court.

The defendant added he wanted to plead guilty to the fraud offence, but pleaded 'not guilty' to the insurance charge.

Garda Keane noted the insurance had been deemed void as a result of the false taxi plate.

Judge Brady adjourned the case until Monday, December 14th and told Li to 'at least speak to a solicitor'.

So what do the travelling public think should be done to help remove bogus drivers and taxis from the streets of Ireland?

Comments

Spook_ie wrote: »
    http://www.fingal-independent.ie/news/allegedly-caught-with-false-plate-1905467.html

So what do the travelling public think should be done to help remove bogus drivers and taxis from the streets of Ireland?
    Confiscate their vehicles immeditialy! (full stop) if proven not guilty then they can have them back, that will stop all the delaying tactics!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

"Speaking through an interpreter"

wouldn't that be a dead give away ??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

how the hell did he pass the PSV test if he needs an interpreter to hold a conversation? bloody TR needs to sort this crap out ASAP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Not necessarily.
    The guy probably has enough English for day to day use. He simply wouldn't be able to work otherwise.

But now he is in court and having articles and sub-sections of the Theft and Fraud Act thrown at him.
    Hey, you or me might struggle with the legal jargon. So it's not surprising to have an interpreter.
    If you were in court and a fine/custodial sentance on the line sure wouldn't you make sure you understood completely what was happening??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭....

kceire wrote: »
    how the hell did he pass the PSV test if he needs an interpreter to hold a conversation? bloody TR needs to sort this crap out ASAP!

he didnt bother to do the test , he just got himself a false plate i think

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

Surely what has been done in this case is the correct response? The law is taking its course. What do you suggest otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

kceire wrote: »
    how the hell did he pass the PSV test if he needs an interpreter to hold a conversation?
    As said, he may not have sat the PSV test, but also, I think if you are in front of a judge you are more likely to make sure you are understood. No?

It may also have been a state interpreter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,314 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

One guy getting caught doesn't necessarily mean that this is a widespread problem - the way you've phrased the question implies that there are loads more out there doing the same thing which might not be true (the Simpsons Bear Tax episode springs to mind :)) and so far I've only ever heard anecdotal evidence from taxi drivers that this is a huge problem.

Having said that I really think ye should push for this to be made a more serious offence ,something that would never ever be dealt with at District Court level. I'd be happy if this was taken as seriously by the justice system as say 'impersonating a police officer' which I assume would be dealt with at Circuit Criminal Court level with 5+ years in jail being a potential sentence.

If you put this is in your manifesto of demands (perhaps replacing the demand for a moratorium on the issuing of new licences) then I don't think anyone would object.

Advertisement