Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MTB Protection Gear for Ladies

Options
  • 23-11-2018 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭

Hi there,

My wife has bitten the MTB bug and for Christmas I'd like get her some protection gear. Can anyone offer some advice???

I've been checking out the usual suspects like wiggle and chainreaction, even bergfruende but don't want to get the wrong stuff.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

I'm not aware of any female-specific protective gear, although I'm sure some exists. Everyone I ride with wears knee pads and around 30% wear elbow pads (myself included). Next step up would be a full-face helmet, but depending on her riding this may not be necessary. I have a Bell convertible helmet, so I can remove the chin section for climbing and then attach it for the descents. It's really well ventilated and apart from a boiling hot day in Carrick back in June I've never had any issues with overheating.

Hi there,

My wife has bitten the MTB bug and for Christmas I'd like get her some protection gear. Can anyone offer some advice???

I've been checking out the usual suspects like wiggle and chainreaction, even bergfruende but don't want to get the wrong stuff.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

As bogmanfan said, knee and elbow pads are the basics, plus a good helmet.

For knee pads, get the ones with shin pads integrated, saves them ripping their legs open right before they wanna dress up for the evening.

However other than that, depends on the biking, a full face when churning km's would be hell. Same with wearing loads of body armour, define what she will be doing first and then scale that to the level of protection.

QueenMTBee would be able to offer female specific advice, pm her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

IXS knee pads, gloves and an open face helmet for me. Most people find elbow pads annoying, tried them for an enduro but ended up taking them off. Majority of the XC racers never wear knee pads. I wear a bag with a back protector when riding bigger stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

I don't think there's a such a thing as women's specific knee and elbow pads, none that I've seen anyway. I use IXS kneepads which are pretty comfortable. I don't normally wear elbow pads and have a back protector in my backpack. Also have a bell full face (detachable chin bar).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭munsterbear

Thanks folks, I'll get cracking on sourcing elbow and knee pads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭QueenMTBee

It really depends what kind of biking she is doing but I would definitely start with knee pads, elbow pads and a good helmet.

I would avoid the knee pads with built in shin pads. They are very bulky and she'll end up just not wearing them at all. It's easier to wear knee pads plus leggings or long socks. A lot of the girls (myself included) wear the pull-on soft knee pads (like this - https://sixsixone-europe.myshopify.com/collections/protection/products/recon-knee-black) as they are less bulky and you have free movement. I wear the matching elbow pads too.

Helmet choice is very much personal but I think a good quality enduro helmet is the minimum. Not being sexist but, let's be honest, most girls don't want scars on their face. If she would feel more comfortable in a full face then I would recommend the Bell one with the detachable jaw. It means you have the option of open face or full face and it is also more ventilated compared to downhill graded full face helmets. Pedalling uphill in the summer in a full face might put her off biking forever!! Also, I prefer helmets that have removable pads. It makes it much easier to regularly wash the pads which helps to keep your skin clear where the sweaty helmet is mashed against your face!!!

I wear a female specific armoured vest when I race/do gnarly stuff but it's not necessary for someone starting out. Some girls wear soft armoured t-shirts but I don't think there's much difference between male/female versions. I bought one but didn't like it as I was just too warm and felt like I couldn't move freely.

Oh and very important - padded shorts with no knickers on – just saying! If she wants to ask anything lady specific, she's welcome to PM me.

Not necessarily protective gear - but a good present for winter is a pair of properly insulated & waterproof mtb gloves. Nothing worse than numb fingers when you're flying down a trail.

Many thanks.

Gloves are a nice idea. I've ordered knee pads and elbow pads.

Don't think there will be any gnarly stuff yet. Though she got to go up with the MAD bunch. And she really enjoyed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

Has she joined the ladies facebook MTB group?

DoraDelite wrote:
    Has she joined the ladies facebook MTB group?

I'm not sure, do you have a link and I could give to her. She still talks about a ladies race that had lil glasses of prosecco and raspberry....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

I'm not sure, do you have a link and I could give to her. She still talks about a ladies race that had lil glasses of prosecco and raspberry....

Ladies Who Shred Ireland is the group and Dirty Dames is the race, back on for March 2019.

• Advertisement

Just checked, she's on that page, fingers crossed she can make that event. Thanks again to everyone. You do lovely work

Advertisement