Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thru Axle vs QR

Options
  • 20-11-2018 3:03pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Never had a thru axle before. I have QR and regular bolt on, bu twondering is there really that great a difference in how the bike hndles or behaves, or is it one of those imagined differences that only the pros and serious competitors would notice, or is there a tangible benefit when out on the trails?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Biopace

Yep there's a nice difference!, on the qr wheel hold front brake and compress fork, your wheel will deflect 4-5mm, doesn't happen with thru axle, that translates to much better control out on the trail.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Do they still have QR on bicycle wheels? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

True with shock forks, but doesn't do much with rigid ones. I get an occasional rotor rub on QR after cornering hard, but it is minor, goes on its own and does not affect control.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭saccades

Biopace wrote: »
    Yep there's a nice difference!, on the qr wheel hold front brake and compress fork, your wheel will deflect 4-5mm, doesn't happen with thru axle, that translates to much better control out on the trail.

Doesn't on carbon suspension forks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

I bought a hardtail during the week and didn't bother with the extra outlay for a thru axle/boost front fork over the regular QR version. MBR gave the regular, entry level Vitus Nucleus, as their sub £500 bike of the year for the last few years straight, and also opined that it was better than any of the bikes in the sub £750 range too. So based on that I decided that (with my admittedly limited skillz) I was probably not going to notice the difference at the front end, and that the opportunity gain of not going thru-axle on the front was being able to buy a dropper instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Biopace

saccades wrote: »
    Doesn't on carbon suspension forks.

Did on mine ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Plastik wrote: »
    I bought a hardtail during the week and didn't bother with the extra outlay for a thru axle/boost front fork over the regular QR version. MBR gave the regular, entry level Vitus Nucleus, as their sub £500 bike of the year for the last few years straight, and also opined that it was better than any of the bikes in the sub £750 range too. So based on that I decided that (with my admittedly limited skillz) I was probably not going to notice the difference at the front end, and that the opportunity gain of not going thru-axle on the front was being able to buy a dropper instead.

I was looking at it and thats what peaked my question. Even if its cheap though, what ever I buy now will be the MTB to do me for at least 5 years or longer, so if thru axles will make a noticeable difference, I could go for the rear to be thru axle and can upgrade the forks in the future.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/vitus-sentier-29-hardtail-bike-deore-1x10-2018/rp-prod159766

Is my current front runner, would be in at 735euro with the 10% card rebate,. although I cannot afford it at the minute anyway, so I am basically just window shopping.

Advertisement