Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MTB in Kerry

Options
  • 13-11-2018 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

All,

I'm new to the game, recently picked up a hardtail for the off days I cant go surfing. I've been to ballyhoura a good few times on their rented bikes and same once in Bike Park so know i can go to either of these for my trail riding fix. Is there anyone here that could tell me of a few trails back kerry direction ? Even long xc routes ? Anything really to give me a variety of options when I decide to head out

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

There are plans to develop trails in Glenflesk. Don't know how far on they are.

Try Tralee Bay MTB on Facebook, they have downhill trails built, but might be able to point you to some XC routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Ya going by the few articles i have seen online I dont think Glenflesk has progressed much. I'll get in touch with the tralee guys if I meet a dead end. Something in the killarney area would be ideal as its a pretty short drive for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Peter T wrote: »
    Ya going by the few articles i have seen online I dont think Glenflesk has progressed much. I'll get in touch with the tralee guys if I meet a dead end. Something in the killarney area would be ideal as its a pretty short drive for me

Obviously if you find somewhere where it is allowed and not forbidden, post it up.

Will do. I'll keep this thread updated for anyone looking in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Check out Strava and trailforks, I'm sure there's plenty on both sites

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭QueenMTBee

I took my bike down to Killarney for 3 days last summer. There are some great trails on Torc Mountain - fire roads and some nice single tracks that loop into each other so you can get in a really long spin or a short one. They are fairly easy to find if you start pedalling up the fire roads from the upper car park (near the Old Kenmare Road if I remember correctly).

Definitely contact Tralee Bay MTB. They do have their own trails on Mount Brandon but also arrange spins around Killarney/Torc Mountain etc. Their club seems to be growing lately and so there would be plenty of new members of differing skill levels. They are also super friendly.

QueenMTBee wrote: »
    I took my bike down to Killarney for 3 days last summer. There are some great trails on Torc Mountain - fire roads and some nice single tracks that loop into each other so you can get in a really long spin or a short one. They are fairly easy to find if you start pedalling up the fire roads from the upper car park (near the Old Kenmare Road if I remember correctly).

Definitely contact Tralee Bay MTB. They do have their own trails on Mount Brandon but also arrange spins around Killarney/Torc Mountain etc. Their club seems to be growing lately and so there would be plenty of new members of differing skill levels. They are also super friendly.

Great, thanks for the info. I've come across strava segments of the old kenmare road alright but wasnt sure if it was just for hiking really. Getting in contact with the tralee guys looks like a must

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭okane1

Make contact with Killarney cycling club. They have a very active MTB group (XC, trail, Endure or downhill). They would train around the Torc area plus several other places around the town.

okane1 wrote: »
    Make contact with Killarney cycling club. They have a very active MTB group (XC, trail, Endure or downhill). They would train around the Torc area plus several other places around the town.

Thanks. I know a few guys road racing with them so they can put me in the right direction

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭okane1

Peter T wrote: »
    Thanks. I know a few guys road racing with them so they can put me in the right direction

Also have a very active cyclcross section to the club

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Killarney is a good spot for mtbing in kerry, id head out with the club lads every now and then. Up the back of torc, out the old kenmare road. Your best bet is to get in touch with the kcc. Im from tralee myself and theres a little bit around here, the tralee bay lads have build a few DH runs out past bleneravile at the old reservoir. pretty advanced jump stuff but it can be avoided with chicken runs, you can pedal up it but its horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Gerry

There's nice rollercoaster section not far out of the town on the kenmare road. Also if you know where the blue pool is there's the remains of a few xc loops.

Advertisement