Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No going to work because X died...

Options
  • 14-09-2019 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭

I was a kid when Elvis died. I know that people did not go to work that day, or the day after. It got me thinking, is there anyone alive today, that has such a social influence that you would take the day off work if and when they died?

David Bowie was one of mine. I wasn't working the day he died, but if I was, I would definitely have rung in sick. Who would it be for you? Bruce Springsteen? Stevie Wonder? Aretha Franklin? .... or maybe somebody from the world of sport or politics or movies?

Is there anyone alive now that has such a big impact as The King did in his day? or has fame been diluted?

So, ignoring family for the moment, whose death would have you take an emergency mental health day?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Patrick Stewart. He's awesome. I'd binge watch TNG all day.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Fidel Castro. I even looked into going the funeral.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭jochenstacker

I wouldn't go to work if Trump died.
    I keep a bottle of champers on ice for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

If you need a day off work over the death of someone you have never met and you are over 16,then your employer needs a better employee.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Trump to quote Bowie we'd be dancing in the street rather than doing anything else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

I was a kid when Elvis died. I know that people did not go to work that day, or the day after. It got me thinking, is there anyone alive today, that has such a social influence that you would take the day off work if and when they died?

David Bowie was one of mine. I wasn't working the day he died, but if I was, I would definitely have rung in sick. Who would it be for you? Bruce Springsteen? Stevie Wonder? Aretha Franklin? .... or maybe somebody from the world of sport or politics or movies?

Is there anyone alive now that has such a big impact as The King did in his day? or has fame been diluted?

So, ignoring family for the moment, whose death would have you take an emergency mental health day?

An "emergency mental health day" for the death of a musician you don't know? WT actual F.

If you were going to say a party that day and not work, would you make it? Course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭73bc61lyohr0mu

Usually I don't care when a famous person croaks but Robin Williams was the one person that genuinely upset me. A massive part of my childhood and just seemed like a very nice decent person.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

I think when David Attenborough dies there will be a lot of us who won't make it to work that day.

Keith Flints death hit me like a shovel tbh, I'm a massive fan of his since the beginning of his music career. I still went to work though.

I think it's better to go to work than sit and wallow at home. Obviously, if someone close to you dies it's very different. I would prefer to "keep going" and be in the company of workmates than home alone with too much time to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PeteEd

definitely 2-Pac and Aretha Franklin is a maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 20,659 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,728 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

That's a totally different scenario.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    That's a totally different scenario.

Indeed. But pretending to be sick when a non relative dies does not honour their life. Take a day's annual leave, if that is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

no one public for me.

except close family and my dog, it would be just few ppl who are special in my private life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I wouldn't go to work if Trump died.
    I keep a bottle of champers on ice for that.

Why?

What is to celebrate? Or even care about?

Other than bewilderment at how he got to where he is or the frequent amusing news item why would you care one way or the other what he does?

To be honest, the fact that you’d celebrate a death is twisted and creepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Apart from family and friends, there’s no one alive or from history that I’d take a day off for their death. My only real hero is the Greek Cynic philosopher Diogenes of Sinope, who died over 2,000 years ago, and he just wanted his body left out for animals to eat.

I’d also distinguish between taking a day off because someone famous died, and going to the funeral of someone deserving. It’s entirely possible that I’d go to the funeral of someone ordinary who died in exceptionally tragic or heroic circumstances, even if I didn’t know them.

There was a guy in my secondary school who took a few days off when Freddy Mercury died. I thought it was really, really weird.

On a related but tangential note, I had a maths teacher in the same school who was the type who would strictly focus on the maths class no matter what happened. He never took a sick day, never chatted in class and gave homework over the summer holidays (and checked it when you came back in September). The day Margaret Thatcher resigned, he came into class with a radio up to his ear, declared “The bitch is gone!” and we sat for 45 minutes listening to the coverage, him with a big smile on his face. That was the one day in 5 years he didn’t give us homework.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

Why?

What is to celebrate? Or even care about?

Other than bewilderment at how he got to where he is or the frequent amusing news item why would you care one way or the other what he does?

To be honest, the fact that you’d celebrate a death is twisted and creepy.

But maybe he's related to Mike Pence who would take over from Trump as POTUS, so would be so delirious with joy and excitement that he'd be unable to work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

I understand a lot of teachers and public sector workers like hospital staff etc post here but the level of comfort in employment astounds me.

I see people nipping out of work for a couple of hours to go to a funeral of cousins and family friends in my job. No sick pay. Not even if you have real sickness.

To ask would you take a day off because Christina Aguilera fell down the stairs is laughable and at the same time worrying for the state of our country.

Apart from family and friends, there’s no one alive or from history that I’d take a day off for their death. My only real hero is the Greek Cynic philosopher Diogenes of Sinope, who died over 2,000 years ago, and he just wanted his body left out for animals to eat.

I’d also distinguish between taking a day off because someone famous died, and going to the funeral of someone deserving. It’s entirely possible that I’d go to the funeral of someone ordinary who died in exceptionally tragic or heroic circumstances, even if I didn’t know them.

There was a guy in my secondary school who took a few days off when Freddy Mercury died. I thought it was really, really weird.

On a related but tangential note, I had a maths teacher in the same school who was the type who would strictly focus on the maths class no matter what happened. He never took a sick day, never chatted in class and gave homework over the summer holidays (and checked it when you came back in September). The day Margaret Thatcher resigned, he came into class with a radio up to his ear, declared “The bitch is gone!” and we sat for 45 minutes listening to the coverage, him with a big smile on his face. That was the one day in 5 years he didn’t give us homework.

not all heroes wear capes!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

I wouldn't go to work if Trump died. I keep a bottle of champers on ice for that.

Not if, when...!

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Vita nova

There are two people I've been watching on TV since I was a child. I've read their autobiographies and followed their lives and even though I've never met them or never will, I'll certainly mark their passing.
    Probably take the day off (self employed), light a candle, head to the sea or the ocean and remember them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

tedpan wrote: »
    Not if, when...!

His genetics are so good he will probably live for ever. You can see it in his daughter, she will probably become first female president ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

If you need a day off work over the death of someone you have never met and you are over 16,then your employer needs a better employee.

Except for when Thatcher died... now that was a party!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

BDI wrote:
    His genetics are so good he will probably live for ever. You can see it in his daughter, she will probably become first female president ever.

Very true, he'll probably transform into some robocop cyborg style yoke and rule the world forever :D

Don Johnson.

Miami Vice / Nash Bridges / Guilty As Sin : a minor classic

• Registered Users Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

not all heroes wear capes!

da16wkf-535551d1-ad36-4d22-a9e4-c49d59de1463.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcLzY4NDQxZWQ3LWE5OTUtNDY1NS04OWEwLTJiM2Q5ZTk1MGYzYlwvZGExNndrZi01MzU1NTFkMS1hZDM2LTRkMjItYTllNC1jNDlkNTlkZTE0NjMuanBnIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0._hZRqW0Iv77nz7L9icNRVhzy4t-k8mBVCQniHhnzJBo

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Except for when Thatcher died... now that was a party!

No.
    I didn't celebrate Bobby Sands dying.
    I didn't celebrate Margaret Thatcher dying.
    Celebrating people dying is fcuking sick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

That thread title. Thought your ex had died.

No.
    I didn't celebrate Bobby Sands dying.
    I didn't celebrate Margaret Thatcher dying.
    Celebrating people dying is fcuking sick.

And could lose you your job. PC (Police Constable) gone mad.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/met-police-sergeant-jeremy-scott-resigns-over-offensive-messages-about-thatcher-death-8570179.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Patrick Stewart. He's awesome. I'd binge watch TNG all day.

Should that not be STNG?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

What do you even do if some plastic hero dies? Sit at home staring at a picture for hours and crying as you remember the zero shared experiences you had with that person?

Cop on.

Advertisement