Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Certifying new electrics

Options
  • 15-07-2019 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭

From reading another thread where someone has questions about certifying work, I have a related query.

I've lined up someone to add some sockets around the house. They're registered on safeelectric.ie. This is a small job for them, they usually deal with bigger things.

Will they automatically issue some kind of certificate when they add the new sockets, or do I need to ask for one, or is it necessary?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

If the work falls under the definition of "minor electrical works" a certificate is not required. However if you request a certificate the REC must issue you with one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

2011 wrote: »
    If the work falls under the definition of "minor electrical works" a certificate is not required. However if you request a certificate the REC must issue you with one.

Thanks - do you know where I can see the definitions? Logically I'd assume a few new sockets is minor, but just want to be sure.

I presume if I request a certificate, that would usually be an additional cost?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Thoie wrote: »
    Thanks - do you know where I can see the definitions?

Here
    Logically I'd assume a few new sockets is minor, but just want to be sure.

Not necessarily.
    I presume if I request a certificate, that would usually be an additional cost?

I think you can safely assume that, yes :)

Advertisement