Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passport Error for a child, how to get it fixed?

Options
  • 25-06-2019 1:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know how to get a passport error corrected?

We have a passport for our 5 year old, applied online and it arrived today, not due to travel until September, but they have got the wrong date on the passport for her DOB. Wrong year and month.

I checked my application form, details are correct there.

I tried phoning them, they don't take calls. I tried webchat, it just times out. There is no application process online for Corrections. I could get a new passport, but I'd have to claim it was lost?

I'm not in Dublin...

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

There’s a web chat on the dfa website if I remember rightly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Spocker wrote: »

Yes they replied to me promptly on twitter before

We had a problem with a kid's passport application recently and the letter we got sent out had a phone number on it. I was able to get through to a call centre. The number was 01 671 1633. I think they should be able to tell you which person dealt with your application and hopefully you can speak to that person directly to sort it out. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

I'd love to have a passport with a wrong date of birth. Think of the possibilities.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Thanks... Web chat had waiting time of 304 minutes, timed out on me after two hours. The call line was "not taking calls due to volume".

I'd have to register an account for Twitter.

Will try again in the morning. Pity there is nothing in their FAQ for it.

pwurple wrote: »
    Thanks... Web chat had waiting time of 304 minutes, timed out on me after two hours. The call line was "not taking calls due to volume".

I'd have to register an account for Twitter.

Will try again in the morning. Pity there is nothing in their FAQ for it.

I think they think only us mortals make mistakes. I doubt that them making a mistake is on their radar.

I wonder if you ask in your local post office, would they be able to tell you what to do?

Would travelling to either of the passport offices work for you? If you can present to the customer care desk with a copy of your application and the incorrectly dated passport, they will likely print you up a replacement in a matter of hours I would think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

antix80 wrote: »
    I'd love to have a passport with a wrong date of birth. Think of the possibilities.

Like not being able to travel lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,899 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

antix80 wrote: »

Yeah, she's a while off wanting to buy booze a year early. ;)

No joy yet on their contact methods. I got onto the department of foreign affairs, who said to write to the passport office explaining the error, including the new passport and original birth cert with the letter, and the original application number.

I've just posted that off there, registered post, feels like I'm firing it into the atmosphere, and I don't know will they make me do the whole application process again, with new photos and forms etc, but sure anyway.

Best of luck, let us know how you get on

pwurple wrote: »
    Yeah, she's a while off wanting to buy booze a year early. ;)

No joy yet on their contact methods. I got onto the department of foreign affairs, who said to write to the passport office explaining the error, including the new passport and original birth cert with the letter, and the original application number.

I've just posted that off there, registered post, feels like I'm firing it into the atmosphere, and I don't know will they make me do the whole application process again, with new photos and forms etc, but sure anyway.

I recently got a first passport for one of my kids, and there were a couple of issues with forms, photos etc. The only consolation I can offer you is that once the application was in the system and at the top of the queue, everything was dealt with very swiftly, so I would think that once yours goes back to them, it’ll be sorted very quickly, even if you do have to send in new photos!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭aileach

Spocker wrote: »

I don’t see how to message them on Twitter - am I missing something?

aileach wrote: »
    I don’t see how to message them on Twitter - am I missing something?

You can't message them directly (it's turned off on their account) but you tan tag them in a tweet, and ask for help?

Just an update on this, that worked. The corrected passport arrived back today, with the right date of birth, and the birth cert back.

For anyone else who spots an error in a childs passport, this is what I did:

Write a letter with the original passport application number, explaining the error.
    Enclose the birth cert (in my case the error was Date Of Birth).
    Don't insert any more photos or forms.
    Registered post off to the passport office.

Just under 3 weeks later it arrived.

Result!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭ElizaBennett

Kinda funny that it had to be done the age-old snail mail way in the end:)

Advertisement