Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best bank to be with when travelling outside the EU??

Options
  • 08-02-2017 1:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi everyone,
    I will be travelling for 8 months from April to December. This is solely a travelling experience so i will not be working. I am looking for advice on the best bank to be with when it comes to transaction fees, conversion rates, withdrawal charges etc. as i am not throwing away needless cash as there wont be anything coming in.
    I am currently with BOI but i have heard that they are higher with charges than other banks?
    Also i am looking to take out a credit card for my trip. Again any advice would be truly grateful as i am not too well up in things like this. Which banks are best and what not.
    Thanks and all tips are welcome!!:)
    Kennek1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Kennek1 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    I will be travelling for 8 months from April to December. This is solely a travelling experience so i will not be working. I am looking for advice on the best bank to be with when it comes to transaction fees, conversion rates, withdrawal charges etc. as i am not throwing away needless cash as there wont be anything coming in.
    I am currently with BOI but i have heard that they are higher with charges than other banks?
    Also i am looking to take out a credit card for my trip. Again any advice would be truly grateful as i am not too well up in things like this. Which banks are best and what not.
    Thanks and all tips are welcome!!:)
    Kennek1

https://n26.com/eu/pricing/

For 5.90 a month you could get N26 Black.

Mobile phone theft protection, travel insurance, ATM theft protection, Extended Warranty on Purchased goods.

Also Free Mastercard ATM Withdrawals in Foreign Currency :)

Would fit the bill for your trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

As far as I'm aware all banks use the Visa exchange rate for the currency conversion, so the rate will be the same regardless.

some Credit cards have no overseas charges, but will charge interest from the date of the cash withdrawal.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭GocRh

N26 and Revolut are great options.
    N26 is a full current account (in Germany) and you'll get a BIC and IBAN.
    Revolut is a pre-paid debit card and can be topped up with a bank transfer, credit card (for a 1% fee) or debit card. Credit and debit card top ups are processed in real time. You get 3 wallets with Revolut - EUR, GBP and USD.

Withdrawals are free on Revolut up to 200 EUR / month. There are no monthly fees. Real time exchange rates can be checked on the Revolut app itself. With N26 you can't check the rates, but they are comparable to Revolut.

I have used both on a trip outside of the Eurozone and they worked flawlessly. My advice is to get both. Bear in mind that it is taking N26 at least a month to issue the debit card.

Advertisement