Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Now Ye're Talking - to a Prison Officer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Fascinating read and fair play.
    How do you switch off and forget about the day. Apologies if asked already.

By going on boards.ie and doing am AMA about prison!

Ah no I like my job but I love my days off. Clocking out is a sweet feeling and I just go home and have a nice shower and wash it all away. Leave your work at the desk in any walk of life if you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

What is on the menu for breakfast, lunch and dinner? Is it nice?

Also, how much do prisoners earn at their jobs? Laundry, kitchen, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

if you have previous is it true your not allowed visit a friend in prison?

Whosthis wrote: »
    You've mentioned foreign national guards, are there many foreign national prisoners? Do they segregate themselves?

Whats the strangest request you've had from a prisoner?

Whats the strangest prisoner hobby/interest you've come across?

There are plenty of nationalities from every continent actually. Right now in my prison we have Polish, Canadian, Brazilian, Nigerian, Dutch, Chinese, English, South African, Lithuanian, Moldovan.. everything. They mostly segregate themselves into Eastern European groups and then just foreigners in general but there is a good bit of integration too.

Strangest hobby would be the cockroach breeder from a few years back. We had an infestation and he captured an bred them. Beyond weird.

Strangest request. Ok, and this is strange... one chap asked me to bring him in some liver from the butchers so he could do an American Pie job with it.

/Thread

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

What do prisoners actually do during the day? Must they follow a schedule? How much time do they spend outside their cells?

• Advertisement

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Do you deliberately leave prisoners standing in the rain when they come to sign on? :D

Ha I've never been on that post. Just bring your brolly with you next time TT.:p

What kind of ratio would there be between inmates who are there for violent and non violent crimes?

What tends to be a common reason to drive people to do something that ends with them in prison?

I would take a conservative guess at 75% being in there for drugs. Selling, transporting or in possession of drugs. I generally assume that's why they're in there until I hear any different. The reasons are greed, laziness, taking a chance or just to make money. All spectrums covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭letsgetloud

Im looking at my facebook newsfeed and there is a chap posting things up under an assumed name. This chap is in mountjoy how is he getting away with that ? genuine question

Are rats or snitches treated very bad inside

Snitches get stitches.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Are there many/any Prisoners with HIV?

Are they separated from the general population?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Thanks a million. That was a great read and I suspect we have heard from someone who is very good at their job.

Is there many on protection in the prison where you work and also do they come in contact at any time with the others in there. How many is on protection where you work. And how do they get on being locked up 23 hours a day

Protection prisoners do it rough for the most part. They officially get one hours exercise and other than that, they're locked up for 23 hours, as you said. They would be fed at their door in most cases in the hope that it eliminates them mixing with normal cat inmates. Incidents have occurred though were a mistake or coinciding door opening has led to contact. Most prisons would have a dedicated wing or section for protection prisoners, maybe 7% or 8% of the entire numbers.

Frynge wrote: »
    If you happen upon a prisoner who has been violently assaulted as opposed to having to intervein in the assault would the prisoner just claim to have tripped or some other such such.

It happens. Due to fear or not wanting to 'rat' or else maybe he'll plot his revenge. Knowledge is crucial here and you should asceratin if he's safe to return before trying anything else.

Luke92 wrote: »
    How did you get your job? What was your background before the prison service?

It was an open competition much like the Garda recruitment. Once you're over 18 with a clean record you can pretty much apply. My background was retail and college previously.

feargale wrote: »
    Why not?

Could come into the hands of an inmate. Could be open to being accused of smuggling phones in. Anybody caught with a phone or component of a phone like a SIM card or charger can be sentenced to 5 years. Think I'll leave it in the locker!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Do you like your job?

Do you feel like you're making an impact on your city, your inmates, or society (either cumulatively or under separate headings)?

endacl wrote: »
    Elmo's using it.

gulp-630x353.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,094 ✭✭✭forgotten password

hi omackerel,

i'm thinking of a number between 1 and 1 billion, can you guess it?

Nib wrote: »
    What is on the menu for breakfast, lunch and dinner? Is it nice?

Also, how much do prisoners earn at their jobs? Laundry, kitchen, etc.

Breakfast is just cereal and tea. Rice Krispies, Corn Flakes or Weetabix. Bread is also availalable. Only on Xmas Day do they get a fry.

Dinner is served at 12noon. There's only one choice a day and it's on a rota cycle. Some of the dinners are fine. Chicken curry and rice is good. Sunday dinner on a Sunday. Battered fish, spuds and peas. Bangers, mash and beans. There are also vegetarian and Halal diets catered for.

Tea is served at 4pm and is usually something like Steak and kidney pies or a ham salad or maybe a chicken burger with a handful of wedges. The food is grand but not adventurous.

The max they can earn is 18 quid I think. That's per week.

carzony wrote: »
    if you have previous is it true your not allowed visit a friend in prison?

Yes and no. You can visit your siblings, parents, children or spouse by our local rules. Any other relation/friends must be approved by the Governor first but typically just a mate wouldn't cut it if you have previous.

• Advertisement

What do prisoners actually do during the day? Must they follow a schedule? How much time do they spend outside their cells?

I will start with this tomorrow if the Mods are keeping it going. Have to get some shut eye as I'm back in work tomorrow. Lights out for now. Night folks, it's been fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Have you ever snuck a prisoner out of jail to cure the governors wife or the like?

Gmol wrote: »
    Have you ever snuck a prisoner out of jail to cure the governors wife or the like?

I was going to once during the dead of night but he was too a-scared of the dark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

Omackeral wrote: »
    I will start with this tomorrow if the Mods are keeping it going. Have to get some shut eye as I'm back in work tomorrow. Lights out for now. Night folks, it's been fun.

Thanks, the most enjoyable thread I've read on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 r2d2c3po

Whosthis wrote: »
    Thanks, the most enjoyable thread I've read on boards.

Are you for real on a forum answering questions.Check your terms and conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Thankfully, Mountjoy in 2014 is all single cells and all those cells have in cell sanitation. Scandalous that the multiman slop out cells existed in this century at all. If you treat people like animals, don't be shocked if they act like them. Urine and faecal matter was often used as a weapon against staff during these days.

Cork Prison still slops out and some of Limerick I think.
    The new Prison in Cork is about 18 months away and that will eventually end sloppng out thankfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

Do you fear the PRG?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,079 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Ever cross paths with any infamous cons, are they quite or are they like they are portrayed in the media, nut case head bangers etc?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭Cyber Ghost

What's the talent like with those cons they do up like women?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

I would take a conservative guess at 75% being in there for drugs. Selling, transporting or in possession of drugs. I generally assume that's why they're in there until I hear any different. The reasons are greed, laziness, taking a chance or just to make money. All spectrums covered.
    What's the view of prison officers on drug prohibition vs decriminalization (or even partial legalization)? Do they think it's a good use of police/prison/public resources?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement