Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wine/Beer in Asda

Options
  • 27-10-2010 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Was in Belfast today and went into Asda to buy wine as they're running their 3 bottles for £10 deal again which is pretty impressive in itself. Pretty impressive selection of wines in there which normally retail anywhere from £3.99 - £7.99 - and €4.99 - €10.99 down here.

On beer, they had Miller 15 x 330ml @ £6. To put that in context, that's 3 cases (45 bottles) for £18. At today's rate (from xe.com) that's €20.61 - you'd do well to get 20 bottles down here for 20 - and that's usually a Special Offer.

Live rates at 2010.10.27 18:00:00
    18.00 GBP = 20.6109 EUR
    United Kingdom Pounds Euro
    1 GBP = 1.14505 EUR 1 EUR = 0.873325 GBP

Also had full cases of Strongbow Cider, Kronenburg (275ml), Budweiser (330ml - but it's NI Bud so it is different to what you get here), Guinness (cans) and Tennents (cans) - all at £6. Just so ye know!

One warning, the Off-licence was a battlefield!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Skopzz

Hi folks,

Was in Belfast today and went into Asda to buy wine as they're running their 3 bottles for £10 deal again which is pretty impressive in itself. Pretty impressive selection of wines in there which normally retail anywhere from £3.99 - £7.99 - and €4.99 - €10.99 down here.

On beer, they had Miller 15 x 330ml @ £6. To put that in context, that's 3 cases (45 bottles) for £18. At today's rate (from xe.com) that's €20.61 - you'd do well to get 20 bottles down here for 20 - and that's usually a Special Offer.

Live rates at 2010.10.27 18:00:00
    18.00 GBP = 20.6109 EUR
    United Kingdom Pounds Euro
    1 GBP = 1.14505 EUR 1 EUR = 0.873325 GBP

Also had full cases of Strongbow Cider, Kronenburg (275ml), Budweiser (330ml - but it's NI Bud so it is different to what you get here), Guinness (cans) and Tennents (cans) - all at £6. Just so ye know!

One warning, the Off-licence was a battlefield!

I bought 600 GBP and I am heading up north soon. I seen the Asda Website and seems like a really good bargain compared to the old Tesco or SuperValu on this side of the island. I'm buying a bit of everything (about 2 trolly's of Groceries, some clothing, a pair of shoes, and some stationery for college). I'll be heading up from Galway, I think the only Asda nearest to me would be Enniskillen, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Skopzz wrote: »
    I bought 600 GBP and I am heading up north soon. I seen the Asda Website and seems like a really good bargain compared to the old Tesco or SuperValu on this side of the island. I'm buying a bit of everything (about 2 trolly's of Groceries, some clothing, a pair of shoes, and some stationery for college). I'll be heading up from Galway, I think the only Asda nearest to me would be Enniskillen, right?

Yep, sure is - but I'd advise you to arrive as early as possible as Enniskillen is a nightmare traffic wise, and particularly around the Shopping Centres. Have only been to the Enniskillen store once (coming back from a w/end in Donegal) but it's pretty big - that said, it was very busy - even on a Sunday at 5pm! Booze-wise, you can't beat their prices and you'll get a real shock when you start converting and doing the math compared to down here. WE ARE STILL BEING SCREWED!!!!!!! :(

Yep, sure is - but I'd advise you to arrive as early as possible as Enniskillen is a nightmare traffic wise, and particularly around the Shopping Centres. Have only been to the Enniskillen store once (coming back from a w/end in Donegal) but it's pretty big - that said, it was very busy - even on a Sunday at 5pm! Booze-wise, you can't beat their prices and you'll get a real shock when you start converting and doing the math compared to down here. WE ARE STILL BEING SCREWED!!!!!!! :(

But they open 24 hours 6 days a week:

http://opening-times.co.uk/asda-enniskillen-northern-ireland

I'm thinking of leaving Galway @ 02:00am and assuming it takes about 3 hrs to reach Enniskillen; do my shopping there and have a few freezer bags ready. Then I have the the rest of the morning and day to thoroughly check out almost every shop in Enniskillen. That takes hours. I've been up there in March and the savings were really big. No wonder we're loosing business here. We're robbed and people should boycott any such merchants. I bought a lot of GBP so that I could do future trips in the event the EUR falls again.

Just check that the off-licence is open 24hours if you intend to buy drink - not 100% sure what the laws are in NI. Don't think it'll take 3 hours at that time of the morning as there'll be nothing on the road. Enjoy!

Just check that the off-licence is open 24hours if you intend to buy drink - not 100% sure what the laws are in NI. Don't think it'll take 3 hours at that time of the morning as there'll be nothing on the road. Enjoy!

Will do! I will do some of my x-mas shopping up north also.

BTW, now is probably a good time to buy GBP so that you can do future shopping trips when the Euro weakens. It paid off for me; the Euro has slightly weakened over the last 2 days. That's why it may be better to buy it in the hundreds - the Euro is a volatile currency against the Pound.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Yes asda seem to have some good deals on wine & beer at the moment - but check online www.asda.co.uk and do your list as not everything is well priced.

Standard bottle of smirnoff is £14 (€16.70) and I'm sure the supermarkets her will flog it for €15 before xmas just like last year. - Currently €17 in tesco. Martell brandy £19.97 (was €23 in Tesco last week)

Also beware of their quotas - maximum 6 boxes of beer on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭redalan

Can't see this offer on Asda website. Has it finished?

redalan wrote: »
    Can't see this offer on Asda website. Has it finished?

seems to be over - same with many of the spirit & wine offers.

Your local Tesco's offers beat most of Asda's current prices.

Well it was last week when I first posted this so maybe it is over on beer but the 3 for £10 wine is still on as I just saw an ad or it on tv.

That said, I don't ever recall Tesco doing 45 bottles of Miller for €20.61 - if you find that in the South do let me know! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭declan_8

FYI - the off licence defo closes over night and does not open till 8 am in the morning. Im an ASDA regular :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Irish Kev

beer special is back on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Technique

Was in Asda Strabane today, lots of £7 beer deals (15 Bud, 10 Guinness Draught Cans, 6 Pint Bottles Bulmers), 3 bottles of premium beer for £5 (660ml Stella, Becks, Cobra etc), 3 bottles of wine for £10, Litre Smirnoff Red Label for £12 etc.

Technique wrote: »
    Was in Asda Strabane today, lots of £7 beer deals (15 Bud, 10 Guinness Draught Cans, 6 Pint Bottles Bulmers), 3 bottles of premium beer for £5 (660ml Stella, Becks, Cobra etc), 3 bottles of wine for £10, Litre Smirnoff Red Label for £12 etc.

fair enough if your within 30 miles, but tesco do all the beer deals for €10 here

£7 = €8.50 - is it really worth it for €1.50????

91011 wrote: »
    fair enough if your within 30 miles, but tesco do all the beer deals for €10 here

£7 = €8.50 - is it really worth it for €1.50????

You've been selective in your example. Beer in heavily discounted at Christmas, everyone knows that but Tesco don't do 3 for £10 (or €11.77 in Euro equivalent) on most of the wines I'd buy. One example, Yellow Tail Pinot Grigio is €9.35 per bottle in Tesco here and in the 3 for £10 in Asda. Another is Lindemans Bin 65 Chgrdonnay @ €9.35 here, 3 for £10 in Asda. I could give you several more examples like this.....

You've been selective in your example. Beer in heavily discounted at Christmas, everyone knows that but Tesco don't do 3 for £10 (or €11.77 in Euro equivalent) on most of the wines I'd buy. One example, Yellow Tail Pinot Grigio is €9.35 per bottle in Tesco here and in the 3 for £10 in Asda. Another is Lindemans Bin 65 Chgrdonnay @ €9.35 here, 3 for £10 in Asda. I could give you several more examples like this.....

and I can giuve you plenty of examples where Asda are more expensive by quoting all the offers down here.

As I've said. Play them at their own game, buy the offers and save the money. Plenty of €4 €5 & €6 wines in tesco / dunnes / supervalue locally.

btw - £10 = €12.10 for everyone except those buying in the millions.

and I can giuve you plenty of examples where Asda are more expensive by quoting all the offers down here.

As I've said. Play them at their own game, buy the offers and save the money. Plenty of €4 €5 & €6 wines in tesco / dunnes / supervalue locally.

btw - £10 = €12.10 for everyone except those buying in the millions.

I agree, I have previously posted on only buying offers. And I don't buy in the millions, I just don't pay commission.

I agree, I have previously posted on only buying offers. And I don't buy in the millions, I just don't pay commission.

the 1.21 rate excludes commission.

its good to know the real rate as otherwise a "bargain" ends not being one.

btw - I've nothing against shopping in NI (family is originally from there), I'm up there every 3 or 4 weeks and don't see any real difference anymore. (there used to be a HUGE difference) If you want to see the sights of Belfast / Derry and do shopping, its a great weekend. Coleraine is particularly nice this time of year and a vist to Bishop's shoe store (one of oldest in Ireland) is a must if you're there. (not sure if they still send the money up the chutes, then returend with handwritten reciot & change)

But do it as an adventure as you'll be disapointed if you think you'll save a huge amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Coz

One very important thing to check when buying beer up North is the size of the bottle and the percentage.

A lot of the deals are on 250/275ml bottles where most of the bottle deals down South are on 330ml bottles.

Also I've come across weaker percentage beer in deals too.

Don't get me wrong, there's still great value to be had. Was up there in November and I'm going up again. Just be aware of possible pitfalls!

Clothing still has a massive difference so if you get your Christmas clobber up there, the savings on one High Street store item can cover the cost of a tank of petrol to make you break even. After that you're saving!

Hey All,

Was in ASDA yesterday. It was the one in the Westwood Centre, just outside Belfast.

Cases of Coors Light, Miller, Stella, Bud. 15 x 275ml Bottles - £7.

Tesco Ireland are selling 20 x 330ml Bottles for €20. This works out as €3.03 per litre.

Using Xe.Com the cases in ASDA are €8.35 so the price per litre is €2.02.

There's a max of 6 cases per customer in ASDA,which in Euros works out as €50 So if you're buying that there, to buy the equivalent amount of Mls in Tesco it'll cost €75. There's nothing stopping you buying six, loading the car and going back in again (and again)!!

Litre bottles of Spirits such as Morgans Spiced, Smirnoff, Gordons Gin etc are all £12 per bottle, or €14.31.

On high street clothes the same savings that could be seen in the days dual pricing are there. Top in Monsoon for £30 which at todays rate is €35. Same top in Dublin €48.

If you buy your Christmas clobber up there the savings will more than cover your petrol so it's pure savings on your booze.

There's not a lot of difference on standard grocery items, although ASDA are doing great deals on party finger food!!

Just don't pay in Euro if the offer is made as they rate they give is ****e!

Coz wrote: »
    Using Xe.Com the cases in ASDA are €8.35 so the price per litre is €2.02.

You don't, I don't and nobody gets the XE rate.

The rate you and I will be charged is about €1.23 per £1 stg (excluding commissions or any other charges) NOT the xe or mid market rate.

If you like miller then great, but if its just beer you want Tesco sell becks for 67c per bottle. Overall unless you are buying **** loads, the small savings won't cover your time & fuel costs.

On clothing its a different story - Monsoon, Debenhams, Wallis are the biggest rip off merchants down here - they have consistently being using exchange rates of 1.55 - 1.70 on their clothing. - But why do you STILL support the EXACT same rip off retailers when you go north???????? - That is just ridiculous.

• Advertisement

The rate you and I will be charged is about €1.23 per £1 stg (excluding commissions or any other charges) NOT the xe or mid market rate.

If you like miller then great, but if its just beer you want Tesco sell becks for 67c per bottle. Overall unless you are buying **** loads, the small savings won't cover your time & fuel costs.

On clothing its a different story - Monsoon, Debenhams, Wallis are the biggest rip off merchants down here - they have consistently being using exchange rates of 1.55 - 1.70 on their clothing. - But why do you STILL support the EXACT same rip off retailers when you go north???????? - That is just ridiculous.

To be honest, I'm supporting my back pocket. If going to Monsoon etc up North achieves that then so be it. That and the fact that we like what they sell.

The savings I made there, more than covered Petrol. As for my time, well I had a really nice day out in Belfast (Christmas Market at City Hall is great). So I'm more than happy to have a Saturday out.

I simply used the XE rate as an example. There's still a saving to be made.

I'm looking at the overall picture of what I bought and I saved a packet!!

Covered for Beer till Paddys at least!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

My euro credit card gave me 1.215 that same day.
    There are alot of bargains to be had up North, you just have to pick and choose.

Toiletries,beer and spirits,medicines and toilet paper are a good bit cheaper.

dobsdave wrote: »
    My euro credit card gave me 1.215 that same day.
    There are alot of bargains to be had up North, you just have to pick and choose.

Toiletries,beer and spirits,medicines and toilet paper are a good bit cheaper.

Forgot about medicines!! There's no big rigmarole for buying Neurofen Plus. £6 odd for 32.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I go up North to buy dogfood every six - eight weeks, get 6-8 bags at a time, it's VAT free up there (the particular brand I use) and costs £18.99 as opposed to €38.99 a bag.

Today I got eight bags and it was £151.92 (€185.34)* as opposed to the €311.92 it would have cost me here. Add in petrol at €35 and I've still saved just over €90 on the dogfood alone.

There is a Sainsburys close to where I get the dogfood, so I tend to drop in there, and stock up on medicines, everything from ibuprofen and paracetamol to otc stuff like earex, mouthwash, plasters. Dry goods like toilet paper etc also tend to be good value. Another one I've found good is lightbulbs, I've one light fitting that takes six bulbs at €3.50 each down here, but get 2 for £2.99 and occasionally they are on offer at 50p for 2.

Aside from that, I tend to always check out the offers, the booze offers were good today, normally I drop in and check out the offers as I'm up there anyway but would check prices down here if I'm looking for something in particular. That said if I wasn't heading up for the dogfood, I'd not bother going just for the supermarkets.

Factoring in exchange of 1.22*

Advertisement