Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"I Know Kung Fu!" - Reprogramming You Brain

Options
  • 20-12-2011 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭

I just read this on Derren Brown's blog. Work is being done on a new way of learning: reprogramming the brain while you watch a computer, whether you want to or not.

6a00d8341bf67c53ef01675ed01d24970b-800wi

“While it may not help you learn how to Kung Fu fight or fly a B212 Helicopter, a neurofeedback method of learning is reminiscent of something we might have seen in the movie, The Matrix.
    The technique would provide more immediate and long-lasting knowledge in tasks that demand a significant level of visual performance, like hitting a curve ball or learning to play the piano.

Researchers from Boston University (BU) and ATR Computational Neuroscience Laboratories in Kyoto, Japan recently demonstrated that they could induce brain activity patterns to match a targeted state by decoding a person’s functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) scan of their visual cortex.

In the future, researchers envision a person watching a computer screen and having their brain patterns manipulated to match those of a desired level of task performance, perhaps of an athlete or someone healing from an accident or disease.

Their findings were published in the most recent issue of Science.
    “Adult early visual areas are sufficiently plastic to cause visual perceptual learning,” lead author and BU neuroscientist Takeo Watanabe said in a National Science Foundation press release.

However, there is one wrinkle in this Matrix-style approach to learning: the method worked on subjects even when they weren’t aware of what they were learning.

“We found that subjects were not aware of what was to be learned while behavioral data obtained before and after the neurofeedback training showed that subjects’ visual performance improved specifically for the target orientation,” Watanabe said.

Fascinating — sure — but this does open up the door to hypnosis and mind control, which Watanabe is keenly aware of.

“We have to be careful,” he said, “so that this method is not used in an unethical way.” Sounds like a good plot line for the next Matrix movie.”

Via Discovery News (Thanks Annette)

While we can all agree that it would be handy should the machines rise up against us, it's still quite a terrifying prospect that, should this be perfected, it will most assuredly be used on the unwilling (at least it would according to the movies I watch).

What do you think? Are the benefits of this worth the dangers of it's misuse? Should scientists just keep out of the mind and concentrate on how to defend against the possible creation of Sharktopuss or Piranhaconda (the other type of movies I watch, and assume will also come true)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭jargon buster

(at least it would according to the movies I watch).

Stop watching them and watch something else.
    Try the comedy channel, at least you will have a laugh while your mind is programmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Never! SyFy Channel's monster movies are this centuries Shakespeare!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

When it comes to science stories in general and neuroscience in general I've learned that anything reported by media ought to be treated with as much scepticism as you can manage.
    Mainly because science reporting is bad, but in this area it tends to disintegrate into making it akin to magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Elohim

This is basically the premise of the show Chuck, good show by the way.

Most things start as science fiction and then become a reality. I'm sure this'll be possible but not properly for a long time yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭weisses

That just reminded me in ordering the Matrix box set

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

i for one would be totally in favour of it... soley to be used on the scumbags who commit crimes against another person....

willl it remove drugs from society.. anyone cauht doing drugs a quick zap and they wont do drugs ever again....

it has a hell of a lot of possibilities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

very useful for errr, rehabilitation!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

humanji wrote: »
    Never! SyFy Channel's monster movies are this centuries Shakespeare!

Hell yeah. I hear they're working on Squidbear vs. Dinoshark. Epic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Computer Sci

I am usually not into conspiracy theories, but this kind of development scares the hell out of me and I can see it been abused by governments and companies. Sure the upside may be quicker learning when it comes to education, but the dark side of this could be literal mind control through the internet if the technology became advanced enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

Snow Crash anyone?

• Advertisement
Advertisement