Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crossing the Atlantic with cement

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

They came over with a load of something presumably, they wouldn't be going back empty.
    Cement seems like a low value item, though needed after the hurricane.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Any reason for the suggestions of drug trafficking other than them being from below the wall?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Any reason for the suggestions of drug trafficking other than them being from below the wall?
    A leak in a ship carrying cement ?

Oh yeah , they'll be stoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,728 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I thought it was going to be a massive bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,312 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Perhaps they are trying to corner the cement market in the Bahamas with the hurricane damage.

You would certainly need to be a glass half full person to venture across the Atlantic in her...
    showphoto.aspx?photoid=3219470

• Advertisement

Perhaps they are trying to corner the cement market in the Bahamas with the hurricane damage.

You would certainly need to be a glass half full person to venture across the Atlantic in her...
    showphoto.aspx?photoid=3219470

seen worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I thought it was going to be a massive bridge.
    ..Or at least about reclaiming land off the west coast (getting rid of the jagged edges). ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Details
    https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:942352/mmsi:-7006041/imo:7006041/vessel:EVORA
    Gross Tonnage: 201
    Deadweight: 340 t
    Length Overall x Breadth Extreme: 30.1m × 7.07m
    Year Built: 1969

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I'm no expert but surely crossing the Atlantic with cement makes no sense given the size of the boat and it being 50 years old.

I'm no expert either, but I'd say the hurrican relief effort is reserving the planes for medicines and other essentials, whereas cement can quite well be shipped (see what they did there?) in an old vessel like this.
    They'd hardly have the time or money to commission a brand new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

That is actually a suspiciously small boat for cement?
    I'm no expert either but since cement has a fairly low value to volume ratio I thought you'd need a much bigger ship to make it worthwhile

• Advertisement
    M

Apparently the boat was owned in Galway for some time...
    The vessel, built in France 50 years ago, was formerly owned in Co. Galway, but was sold to a new owner within the past 12 months. The owner confirmed that the vessel had been detained, but did not comment further.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/ship-holed-at-galway-pier-detained-as-residents-fear-pollution-risk-950664.html

M

somefeen wrote: »
    I'm no expert either but since cement has a fairly low value to volume ratio I thought you'd need a much bigger ship to make it worthwhile

Perhaps they are going to bring a shipment of Poitin west :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭chooseusername

It'd be gone off by the time they got to the Windies

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

200 tons of cement is quite a lot and I would suspect that his is not the only ship. Also..I don't think that there are all that many deep sea ports on the Abaco Islands or on Grand Bahama..a supertanker full of cement would have nowhere to unload...nowhere near where the stuff is needed anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The cement might be as much for ballast as anything maybe.

M

Advertisement