Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What the hell is wrong with some people?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

Alright. Let's just go and get ready to beat Donegal

Fecking yes! Here here ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

MODS - feel free to close thread. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

fwiw if I want to reverse park with traffic behind me, in addition to indicating, I adjust my road position to give a clue what I am doing. Hard to describe but if you first aim your nose towards the space and then swing the nose out again, it might give a savvy driver behind a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,862 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Isambard wrote: »
    fwiw if I want to reverse park with traffic behind me, in addition to indicating, I adjust my road position to give a clue what I am doing. Hard to describe but if you first aim your nose towards the space and then swing the nose out again, it might give a savvy driver behind a clue.
    Savvy drivers generally will spot the parking space, spot the indicator, and slow down a bit just in case.

I've pulled up at a parking space, having indicated left first then put on the hazard lights, tried to "aim" the car as described above, and rolled down the window and pointed out and across the roof at the parking space - only to have the driver behind roll up to within 6" of my rear bumper, oblivious.

Those drivers will never see what's in front of their own bonnet. It's a bit scary, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Pineapple1 wrote:
    What would you have done in this situation?

Overtake the vehicle in front, if possible. I presume you could not do so because of oncoming traffic. The driver attempting to park needs to ensure he has sufficient room to move backwards and execute the manouevre. If not he should drive on and look for another space. You should have stayed in position instead of trying to reverse on a busy street. The driver behind you may have been fearful you were going to collide with him which is understandable. You were trying to be polite but he could not read your intentions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

mikeymouse wrote: »
    Parallel parkers that don't indicate in good time should be blocked !

Don't get me started! Don't know how many times I've indicated that I wish to reverse to parallel park or more commonly to reverse into a parking bay and the driver behind just drives straight up your arse. Or worse still, the odd time tries to drive forward & 'steal' the vacant parking bay.

It's just complete lack of thought and an ever increasing degree of laziness and incompetence in reversing apparent in Irish drivers. They don't do it themselves and it just passes them by as to why anyone else would reverse into a parking spot.

Personally I'd like to see traffic wardens giving tickets to any vehicle that's parked nose to pavement in public on street parking. Bloody menace when they want to get out and just stick their arses into the traffic with little idea as to what's approaching. Rant over :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

Saw this in Liffey valley car park.

Guy blocks one way row for 2 or 3 mins waiting for another car to back out of space (rows are wide enough for 2 cars), 6 or 7 cars end up stuck behind all beeping.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Pineapple1 wrote: »
    Today, driving through my small town, traffic was fairly busy as is always the case on Fridays. Car in front of me stops and puts car into reverse as he wants to parallel park. No problem I said, so I put my own car into reverse to give him enough space to do so.
    The car behind me though....would not budge an inch despite me clearly displaying my reverse lights. So I kept reversing slowly towards him. Then car behind me proceeds to blow the horn at me for this?! Like hello I actually need you to move back for me I dont know what your blowing your horn at me for it should be me beeping at you. He still has not moved back himself, to allow me to move back, to allow the car in front of me to move back into the parking pace. I couldnt just over take the car in front of me either as street was too narrow and lots of oncoming traffic. What a horriffic bastard.

What would you have done in this situation?

With it being a small town,with fairly busy traffic and a vehicle stopping in front of you indicating by reverse lights,that it wishes to reverse into a parking space,would you perhaps,be confident that the vehicle/s behind you,had the ability to reverse safely ?....could you see what traffic/pedestrians/children etc were behind them ?

If you had total and comprehensive vision behind your following traffic,then fine,but as it stands,you may be making some assumptions about the driver behind you which could be incorrect.

It is worth bearing in mind that each year,a number of serious injuries and even deaths,occur from vehicles reversing over small children in driveways,farmyards and car parks.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,724 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

In cases like this...

- Slow and indicate well in advance. Dead slow if needed
    - As you pass the spot move out a bit to make the intention clear. Stick on the hazards if needed
    - For idiots who drive up your arse. Stop dead and wait until they back off
    - Reverse into your spot.. sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    In cases like this...

- Slow and indicate well in advance. Dead slow if needed
    - As you pass the spot move out a bit to make the intention clear. Stick on the hazards if needed
    - For idiots who drive up your arse. Stop dead and wait until they back off
    - Reverse into your spot.. sorted.

You're the one going the wrong way so you have to go forward if the person behind won't or can't move. You are causing the obstruction not the other road users so you have to move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Some people are so courteous on the road they abandon all logic, common sense and safety.

This is the one I find increasingly frustrating. Cars travelling along a road until to an emergency stop to let someone out of a side road from which the could proceed immediately after their (and my) passing. Shows a complete lack of situational awareness and/or safe driving practices.

Advertisement