Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E-scooter usage in Ireland?

Options
  • 17-08-2019 2:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi all - I’m just wondering if e-scooters are being routinely seized in Ireland or if this is still a grey area and not something that’s really enforced? Also if it was seized, is that the worst that could happen or is it possible to receive a harsher punishment for using them? Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The worst? Usually a 20 page thread on boards that goes on for a few years and makes zero difference to our politicians sitting on their hands. While the city grinds to a halt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

I have seen one seized on 1 occasion. On Georges street . They even got a recovery truck which im sure the owner of the scoot had to pay for. Got attention of a motorcycle Garda. This was about 6 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

CuriousOwl wrote: »
    Hi all - I’m just wondering if e-scooters are being routinely seized in Ireland or if this is still a grey area and not something that’s really enforced? Also if it was seized, is that the worst that could happen or is it possible to receive a harsher punishment for using them? Thanks in advance :)

A court appearance, 5 penalty points and fine. Your using a motor vehicle without insurance. The other offences don't matter as you only get the highest penalty, they don't add up.

https://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Licensed%20Drivers/Penalty%20Point%20offences%20as%20of%2026%20October%202018.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 29 CuriousOwl

Del2005 wrote: »
    A court appearance, 5 penalty points and fine. Your using a motor vehicle without insurance. The other offences don't matter as you only get the highest penalty, they don't add up.

https://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Licensed%20Drivers/Penalty%20Point%20offences%20as%20of%2026%20October%202018.pdf

Wow, that’s quite the punishment! Pardon my ignorance but does that equal a criminal record for users?

Advertisement