Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Bike to work thread!

Options
  • 10-12-2019 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,774 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, looking for some advice here. Five plus years on and I now qualify for my second bike to work and I'm just wondering is there any advantages in pulling the trigger now, just prior to Christmas or just wait for the new year and see what happens.

I'm not part of any club and would probably be regarded as a 'fair weather cyclist', but I'm thinking of going the full monty and blowing the grand on a new road bike. I have the accessories, helmet, locks etc so I'm just after the bike.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not really specifically about bike to work so, more a 'should i buy a new bike' thread.
    what bike do you currently have; what sort of use does it get; and are there any issues with it you'd like to not have to deal with in a new purchase?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,774 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

not really specifically about bike to work so, more a 'should i buy a new bike' thread.
    what bike do you currently have; what sort of use does it get; and are there any issues with it you'd like to not have to deal with in a new purchase?

Thanks. I've a Forme Longcliffe sora. I purchased it 6 years ago mainly so as to get out and about. It gets steady use from March/April until Sept/Oct and apart from local charity rides average distance would be 40km to 60km.

For my use the bike is grand however the knocks are getting louder and the bike is starting to show its age. However, even if I bought another one tomorrow it still would sit in the bedroom unti March.
    My question however is is it more advantageous to buy one now as opposed to later in the year?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

unless you got a very late 2019 bike reduced, i can't see any benefit in buying a bike now that won't be used for several months.
    main question i would have about your current bike is how much TLC does it get? it might just need a general service and maybe a new chain and possibly cassette.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,774 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

unless you got a very late 2019 bike reduced, i can't see any benefit in buying a bike now that won't be used for several months.
    main question i would have about your current bike is how much TLC does it get? it might just need a general service and maybe a new chain and possibly cassette.

Didn't know about the chain and cassette but it gets a good service every 12/14 months, brakes, tyres, cables, oil etc and I keep it clean. The wife won't let it or the dog in the house otherwise!!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭MyDarkArts

A possible benefit might be that you could revisit the Bike To Work almost a year earlier. I'll stand corrected, but if he buys now, 2019 counts towards his "three year waiting period", so he could avail of the scheme again in January 2022 a little over two years hence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

MyDarkArts wrote: »
    A possible benefit might be that you could revisit the Bike To Work almost a year earlier. I'll stand corrected, but if he buys now, 2019 counts towards his "three year waiting period", so he could avail of the scheme again in January 2022 a little over two years hence.

5 years in Ireland.

Advertisement