Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to stop black jeans from bleeding in wash?

Options
  • 03-01-2015 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Hi,

Anybody got any tips on how to prevent my new black jeans from bleeding/loosing their colour in a wash.

I'm guessing turn inside out and on a 30 degree wash for a start.

Anything else?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

WhyTheFace wrote: »
    Hi,

Anybody got any tips on how to prevent my new black jeans from bleeding/loosing their colour in a wash.

Anything else?

Thanks

Turn them inside out and wash on low only if they actually have dirt on them. Otherwise just throw them in a bag in the freezer for a few days which kills all bacteria and germs getting rid of any smells.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭mimihops

There are special washing liquids available for washing darks, I am using one now on my black stuff and I think it helps. Also if your washing machine allows you to alter the spin you should lower that as if it's high it'll spin out all the colour.

Edit: This is the one I'm using currently - http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=273260826

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭WhyTheFace

Cool, thanks.

My washing machine has a 15 minute cycle option. Would that be sufficient?

Basically they are not that dirty. I was at a NYE party which had an open fire at it and my clothes stink of smoke now. (All washed by now bar the jeans of course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

cold water wash with something like Woolite instead of detergent

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭WhyTheFace

cold water wash with something like Woolite instead of detergent

Is 30 degrees considered cold water?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

WhyTheFace wrote: »
    Hi,

Anything else?

Thanks

Turn jeans inside out, cold wash on delicate cycle, add two tablespoons of salt and about 4 oz of white vinegar (this help to set the dye), and most importantly, let them air dry naturally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

I always handwash black jeans in cold water with a tiny bit of detergent. Try not to rub them too much just a very gentle wash or if there's a stain try not to rub that particular part as that causes fading.

Advertisement