Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B&Q Water Pumps - big wattage and all EUR15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Block (8

Can you use these to pump the water out of an aquarium?

By connecting a hose to the pump and into the aquarium and a hose out into a sink?
    Do these pumps need to be submerged in water to work?

I have a big aquarium and hate doing water changes :o

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭memaul

I was just in the Athlone store and they only had one type of pump(neither of these) and it cost 70 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭darkside71

Doesn't look like they do delivery to Ireland/North or South, only Uk mainland addresses. Didn't see these pumps when I was in the Liffey Valley store two weeks ago either, but maybe they might have came in since then..:confused:

Update: Liffey Valley had both types of the pumps this evening, I just checked. They had 3 of the 250w and 2 of the 800w. Thanks OP, super spot.. I really needed one of these..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭knighted_1

Op where did you see them for 15 euro ?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ralphie

They dont deliver to Ireland.
    I got the only one they had of the 800W ones in Limerick this evening.They had a few of the 250W ones left.Lidl had pumps similar to the 250W one some time ago.I think it was a bit more expensive there.
    The 800W one is supposed to in theory lift water from 8 metres.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭knighted_1

good call -picked one up

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭LandoCalrissian

Is this the type pf pump you would use to increase pressure to an en suite shower as just found out I need to get one

OR Am i way off admittedly I know nada

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Is this the type pf pump you would use to increase pressure to an en suite shower as just found out I need to get one

I was just about to ask something similiar. I have a well pump in between the shower mixer and the show head giving out 2 or 3 bars of pressure. As its after the mixer there is only one pipe into the pump and one out. Works perfect. Note the hot water is fed from hot water tank. You couldn't do this if shower was an electric shower.

I don't know what bar these give or what wattage mine is. Sounds like its possible though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Instore and online.

They have:
    250w "Clean Water" pump with float valve (ie comes on when water level high enough, pump floods, pools etc)
    http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?isSearch=true&fh_search=250w+pump&x=0&y=0

400w "Dirty Water" pump - listed in store but no stock and not online, presumably its for ponds and similar debris laden water.

800w Jet Pump - this is effectively a shallow well pump (you can use it for any water pumping though). These used to cost EUR150-300 (I use a 1.1Kw Jet pump for my well water and I paid many times this asking price for it).
    http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?isSearch=true&fh_search=800w+pump&x=0&y=0

EUR15 wouldnt even cover the shipping of any of these if ordered online!

Big wattage is no indication of performance, it just means they are more expensive to run, hence the price. If you are looking for a pump for a specific purpose you should be looking at the flow rate, head hight or bar pressure. The lower the wattage to these specs. indicates more efficiency.
    Block (8 wrote:
    Can you use these to pump the water out of an aquarium?

By connecting a hose to the pump and into the aquarium and a hose out into a sink?
    Do these pumps need to be submerged in water to work?

I have a big aquarium and hate doing water changes redface.gif

Have you tried syphoning the water out ?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ralphie

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=10026455&fh_view_size=10&fh_start_index=10&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB&fh_search=pumps&fh_eds=%c3%9f&fh_refview=search&isSearch=true
    These pumps are not suitable for hot water.Maybe the one listed overhead would suit you,but you may get cheaper elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Slick50 wrote: »
    Big wattage is no indication of performance, it just means they are more expensive to run, hence the price. If you are looking for a pump for a specific purpose you should be looking at the flow rate, head hight or bar pressure. The lower the wattage to these specs. indicates more efficiency.

Im not looking for a specific purpose. I went in to see about high power Aquariam pumps for a project, they usually are EUR60 to EUR100 and found a Jet pump for EUR15...
    The 800w is a Jet pump that sucks from 8m and delivers a 40meter headheight. Thats clearly decent wattage to performance conversion. I dont buy your "hence the price" criticism at all, as you could have pulled up the specs and looked for yourself and provided actual data, but that may undermine your point I guess. Anything can be sold at any price, price doesnt indicate quality.

As i mentioned, I have 3 other Jet pumps here as I did quite a bit of well work, Im not just some idiot reading wattages.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 summer

Ordered 800w in B&Q Athlone on Friday, they said they should have it in their Store on the 26th Jan for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

Matt Simis wrote: »
    As i mentioned, I have 3 other Jet pumps here as I did quite a bit of well work, Im not just some idiot reading wattages.

I never meant to imply that you're an idiot, all you listed in the OP was price and various wattage though. I thought it was worth meantioning that there are a few other factors to consider, that perhaps some people not so familiar with pumps, would not have thought of.

Slick50 wrote: »
    I never meant to imply that you're an idiot, all you listed in the OP was price and various wattage though. I thought it was worth meantioning that there are a few other factors to consider, that perhaps some people not so familiar with pumps, would not have thought of.

Ah ok, fair enough, sorry! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I got two today Matt. Cheers!. I was using an old circulating pump of a heating system for the job. I was sick of getting electric shocks..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Digipass

I got the 800w one today. Where can i get connectors to attach a hose?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

You cannot use these for showers. They are classed as single impeller ie they either pump hot or cold water and as mentioned i dont think they are rated for hot.

You can bring them along to any plumbers providers and they will give you fittings.

I am guessing they usually use 311's

These should be interesting though. If you have a water but you can use it to pump water to your attic. For storage when water rates come in.

How ever its we will need to get over the problem of vermin p1ssing in the water first.

You cannot use these for showers. They are classed as single impeller ie they either pump hot or cold water and as mentioned i dont think they are rated for hot.

Yeah, off the top of my head I think the box said they were rated for 35c water tops, so not really suited to proper hot usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Digipass

You can bring them along to any plumbers providers and they will give you fittings.

311's????????

Digipass wrote: »
    311's????????

Type of fitting. Male bsp on one end to got into female pump and brass nut and ring the other to go onto pipe generally copper or pex.

Look up sanbra fyffe list of compression fittings for more info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

These should be interesting though. If you have a water but you can use it to pump water to your attic. For storage when water rates come in.

How ever its we will need to get over the problem of vermin p1ssing in the water first.

Would it not be possible to take water from the attic tank using this pump into a T connector with one side going straight to shower for cold and the other replacing the cold water input to the hot water cylinder to pressurise the whole hot water system?

Set it up with a pressure switch, pressure tank system similar to those used in well installations, should work just fine?

Redisle wrote: »
    Would it not be possible to take water from the attic tank using this pump into a T connector with one side going straight to shower for cold and the other replacing the cold water input to the hot water cylinder to pressurise the whole hot water system?

Set it up with a pressure switch, pressure tank system similar to those used in well installations, should work just fine?

Ehhhh Nope... Try it. you will see why. It will become a single impeller pump with the dominent pressure...ie the cold. winning. you will waste your hot water and have cold showers.

If it were this easy plumbers would fit single impeller pumps as they are cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Ah I see.

So how would one then go about getting pressurised hot and cold water around the house? Here the kitchen is a good bit away from the hot water cylinder so the hot water pressure is pretty pathetic. Could one of these pumps be used to just boost the cold water feed to the hot cylinder to produce pressurised hot water around the house?

Or how is this kind of thing normally done?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

These are back in b&q in tallaght, thanks op

Advertisement