Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭purple hands

Fair play to the fella cycling through Dublin city literally lit up like a Christmas tree - Christmas lights, Santa hat and all

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Despite the fact that much of our outbound route to Drogheda was on the horrible R132, we had a really enjoyable club spin this morning. Coming back we turned for Skerries at Balbriggan and then back over to Man O'War. Getting into Swords I decided to add a loop over to Baldoyle via Broadmeadows before heading home along the S2S.
    After a pretty miserable November, it was great to cycle in sunshine again. There were a couple of downsides though - heading south on narrow roads I was conscious that anyone approaching from behind mightn't see us due to the blinding low sunlight and the temperature was pretty close to zero leaving Swords. Fortunately, my new "extra warm" Roeckl gloves had arrived from Bike-Discount and they did what it said on the label. Two base layers and two pairs of socks combined with a Mistral jacket and bib tights kept everything else toasty :)

I think, I met you just north of Balbriggan.
    I had just turned on the road and was heading home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I did a measly 5km to go and pick up a car. Brought me up to 9800km for the year - only 200km to achieve my year target...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

windy, and mucky out there today. had washed the bike after the last spin, and it's about three times as dirty now as when i decided it needed to be washed.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

windy, and mucky out there today. had washed the bike after the last spin, and it's about three times as dirty now as when i decided it needed to be washed.

Agree ,The winds around NCD today were blowing in front of me no matter what way I went it seemed

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the slog back along the R108, south, from near julianstown down to the naul was tough. i caught a break though when i got stuck behind a load of calves being driven up the road, gave me a five minute breather.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

the slog back along the R108, south, from near julianstown down to the naul was tough. i caught a break though when i got stuck behind a load of calves being driven up the road, gave me a five minute breather.

I can picture the calves looking at you as you’re behind cycling , wouldn’t be out of place in clockwork orange

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

anyone brave enough to go out in it today??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

fryup wrote: »
    anyone brave enough to go out in it today??

This wojous out there.

Just back from about 60k in Cork. I've had tougher days this summer. Wind was more blustery and despite doing an out and back spin I never felt like I was going straight into it. Managed to stay dry and the sky was blue for the most part. Hadn't expected to get out so it was a lovely bonus spin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,314 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

blowing a hooley in the nw all day wimped out and did a turbo session

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭secman

Headed into Gorey for club spin only 6 others out, last week 24 out, out the coast road and inland from Kilmuckridge, the approx 2km on the main road was a bit dodgy with crosswind, headed over to Enniscorthy and back to Ferns and Gorey but at Ferns i headed for The Harrow , Boolavogue and home. 88km avg 28.2 kph approx 700m .
    Tough into the headwind but tailwind was soooooo nice.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Today was a super day. Had day off work, but loads to do, painting, appointments, visit parents, presents etc so did it all by bike and took detours.

54 km in mostly glorious winter sun.

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/pit8yIONh2

• Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Same as Weepsie bar the chores!!!

Savage day with 2 mates, easy 2hrs with a coffee in the bike shop after it, love days off work when everyone else is working!

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

A little windy this morning. It was the first time i ever had to pull the brakes going up a hill because i was going too fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Working from home so did a quick 10k at lunch time. I hurt my knee either overgearing or running last week so felt great to be back out. The wind was brutal on the home stretch so i eased off and just took it handy.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2926068548

Might be an idea to turn on some Privacy settings and set an area around your home in Strava.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Close to 79km in a club spin (Leixlip > Lucan > Maynooth > Summerhill > Dunsany > Dunshaughlin > Rathoath > Clonee)
    25.6km/h on a cold day (with a flutter of snow), 423m gain

• Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Mother of God, 4hrs in baltic conditions but no ice down south thankfully. It was the coldest day on the bike for a long time with intervals in the last 2 hours I was struggling to stay focused to last out the full 4hrs.
    I'd left the house armed with under armour base layer combined with Galibier Roubaix LS and my trusty Mistral jacket. The combination did a really good job as always.

4hrs 100km @ 27.2 avg and a solid 1300m of elevation which likely didn't help with cold feet n hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭secman

A tough weekend on the bike, yesterday did the spin out to blessington via manor Kilbride and three castles,we stopped at blue gardenia to assess , it was Baltic, low visibility due to a sleet/snow /hail blast, decided to reassess once we hit blessington, bitter cold and windy, we decided to carry on out main road and left for Valleymount and lake drive. Caught in another snow/hail blast heading for Lacken. A small clearance was very welcome fir the embankment descent. 72 km.. a slow 24.5 kph avg frozen feet.

Today in sunny southeast, Gorey club spin out to Enniscorthy where the lights went out and the heavens opened with freezing sleet/rain. Just under 60km avg 29.8kph.. a full 30km in the freezing rain...

• Advertisement

Lot easier in North county Dublin this morning, between 1 and 3 degrees but no rain or any other precipitation. Little bit breezier than I'd expected though.

Had a lazy morning, then decided to visit parents in D15 taking a 50km detour via Ballyboughal and Kilbride. Slow enough but was in the croix de fer with chunky tyres so all good.

14 km back for 68 for the day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

I was down before I knew it outside Kilbride having safely ascended and descended Boherboy which was lethal.

Incredibly Silly ride in hindsight I know.

ouch. looks deep enough?

ouch. looks deep enough?

Unfortunately it’s the same side gets it each time! Third time this year so looks worse than it is I think.

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    Unfortunately it’s the same side gets it each time! Third time this year so looks worse than it is I think.

Left side? If so I'm sure the bike is thanking you :)

Left side? If so I'm sure the bike is thanking you :)

no the right. rear mech hangar definitely isnt' straight and its a 3 day old second spin bike

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

Out for a quick spin yesterday evening, the plan was to do 50km but then, I noticed one of my front lights wasn't working, fine I thought thats why I have two. Then it started lightly raining about an hour earlier then I had expected (I thought I'd be home before any showers), all was still fine until I started thinking what it would be like if the rain turned to snow when I was at the top of a planned climb. Next a message came up on my garmin, "warning 15% phone battery remaining". That was the last straw and as I imagined myself at the top of a climb in the dark and freezing cold with no lights or phone, so I turned early and managed to get home with my phone down to 3%....
    https://www.strava.com/activities/2935236941

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Bloody gorgeous out there this morning. I've not been on the bike as much of late, and I missed it. It was just the right amount of cold for me this morning, fresh and not quite bitter. There was a gorgeous sunrise too, I brought my camera just in case and stopped at the wooden bridge to Bull Island to take a few snaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Bloody gorgeous out there this morning. I've not been on the bike as much of late, and I missed it. It was just the right amount of cold for me this morning, fresh and not quite bitter. There was a gorgeous sunrise too, I brought my camera just in case and stopped at the wooden bridge to Bull Island to take a few snaps.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112014893&postcount=5708

:pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement